High Hops

• Discuss High Hops in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I spent two hours bunnyhopping (for all you "how do I bunnyhop people", start there) I must have hopped the bar 80+ times. Bike, pavement, obstacle. I... ...
  • Tags bike bmx gt
T

Trimix

High Hops post #1
I spent two hours bunnyhopping (for all you "how do I bunnyhop people", start there) I must have hopped the bar 80+ times. Bike, pavement, obstacle. I pulled 30" about 12 times during the course of the session. The MOST I have ever done, I was pretty stoked..... :D Bunnyhops are pretty good all around exercises for BMX in general I think. You can also get hurt bunnyhopping. :(

I

infantry43RIDER

High Hops post #2
haha yea i remember the days when i was learning how to bunnyhop and i was always off balance and shit wow that sucked...but yea congrats trimix.

E

EasternBMX

High Hops post #3
I love to bunny hop even if i **** up
my best is like a 4 stair maybe 28-30in

T

Todd

High Hops post #4
My highest hop was handlebar hieght, but I'm consistant at stem hieght.

T

Trimix

High Hops post #5
Getting to know your hop heights based on bike parts makes sense, seeing that I don't carry around a tape measure. IE; Stem height, handle bar height.

N

n3lli

High Hops post #6
i can only hop about 1ft lol =( i just stack up a couple of objects on 2 sides, then put a stick on top and try hop it.

T

Trimix

High Hops post #7
That's great, a foot is pretty good. What I meant was that knowing you can hop as high as your pegs for instance, lets you know you can peg onto something. When you can hop as high as your handlebars, you are getting toward picnic tables.....and S like that. Using the bike to estimate......yea I know friggin genius right?

E

EasternBMX

High Hops post #8
ok...I double peged a ledge that was like and index finger length above my handle bar

T

Trimix

High Hops post #9
I am impressed.

V

Vic_Vega

High Hops post #10
EasternBMX said:
ok...I double peged a ledge that was like and index finger length above my handle bar
That's pretty damn good, man :D

I

infantry43RIDER

High Hops post #11
yea it is i would like to see a vid of that.

since i dont' sit outside and measure my hops much i really don't know how high my hops are...but i can get onto any rail or ledge that i want so i guess its high enough.

N

n3lli

High Hops post #12
to bunnyhop high, do you have to be pretty strong. coz i'm a pretty small guy (5'5"). Or is is mainly ur technique that gets you the height.

T

Trimix

High Hops post #13
uum ...both. But technique plays a big part in hopping high.

W

wasabiboys

High Hops post #14
Bunnyhopping

For a new BMXER it is hard to bunnyhop and it is annoying that I can't do it ...BUT I will one day.

T

Trimix

High Hops post #15
I know some of the other users get irritated on these repetitive posts on bunnyhopping, but I think the reality is ......FORUMS are repetitive. I own two forums on the web, and we have the SAME problems......same posts over and over.......

V

Vic_Vega

High Hops post #16
Trimix said:
I know some of the other users get irritated on these repetitive posts on bunnyhopping, but I think the reality is ......FORUMS are repetitive. I own two forums on the web, and we have the SAME problems......same posts over and over.......
You speak the truth, but at least this thread is a variation on the bunnyhopping theme instead of a repeat.

B

BioHazard

High Hops post #17
30". . . I only wish I could get that high.

I don't think I'm a "bad" bunnyhopper, but I know for sure I'm not "good". Basically, when I try to get high, I end up forgetting (or remembering much too late) to get the damn back tire up, and I end up looking like a moron, but whatever, haha.

But normally, I ride at a skatepark, so bunnyhopping isn't *quite* as necessary as it would be for riding street. However, in the past week I've been spending A LOT of time at the local campus practicing my grinds. I just remembered how much harder it is on the street than at the park (to grind) Hell, at the park, you don't even really have to worry about bunnyhopping, the ramp is going to get you where you need to be anyway.

I also refreshed my memory with a couple other things. Stairs hurt. So does slamming your head into one.

S

sentaafEQpovar

High Hops post #18
god damn, i thought i was good when i could bunnyhop higher than my tire, damn, u guys r crazy, although i can bunnyhop like higher than anyone in my town, ive bunnyhoped over 5 skateboards stalked up, when i try to just bunnyhop in middle of street or sumthing, i can only bunnyhop like 5 inches above ground, but when i try to bunny hop over or up sumthing, i get a lot higher,

whats the highest u guys can bunnyhop to manuel? for me its like about a lil over peg height

T

Trimix

High Hops post #19
Uh huh....but I did nearly 100 hops to get 30" a dozen times, and a few of those dozen were not a pretty picture! It seems (just theorizing) that hopping say 18" is different than trying 30". When I nailed the high ones, the body motion and steps were a little different......there was an extra "hop" added from the back tire.....it's hard to explain, but I am in NO WAY consistent with 30". I can do 24 over and over.

S

sentaafEQpovar

High Hops post #20
i practice by trying to bunnyhop up this one ledge that im parralel to and that i cant get up, i mean i can bunny hop high enough to get on it, but i cant get it steady enough to the point where i can shift myself to the side and stay on the pedals, usually my foot comes down to steady myself. thats how i practice getting my bunnyhops to a certain hieght down

on thing, is that at first, what prevents u from bunnyhopinng from hieghts of one inch to about 9 inches is the weight of ur bike, but pretty much once ur able to bunnyhop over 9 inches high, wieght becomes a very minor factor in how high u bunnyhop

New Topics