Heres my Debate topic....

• Discuss Heres my Debate topic.... in the Politics and World Issues forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; OK, in my Debate class at school we got to choose any topic to debate on and I want to choose to debate on wether or not dragons could've existed on... ...

[Please read my complete post before voting]Do you think that dragons existed?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Could have but don't know for sure

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Don't think so but you never know

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I have no clue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

goldendragon

Heres my Debate topic.... post #1
OK, in my Debate class at school we got to choose any topic to debate on and I want to choose to debate on wether or not dragons could've existed on Earth. What I'm going to do is I'm going to lay out my constructive speach here and then I want you people to to do the same. I will be the Affirmative side and you can choose which side you want to be on, Affirmative or Negative. After a good round of constructive speeches go around, I will then open the floor (or forum in this case) to a crossfire (the portion where you actually debate). Feel free to attack my evidence and theories in this section as I will be doing the same to you.

Here goes......

If you look back in history, you'll notice that each civilization has a legend about Dragons. From the Chinese serpent dragons to the European heraldic dragons and even in the ancient Mayan civilazation, where they held a combination of these two. Now most of these civilazations had little to no contact between eachother and yet they all held a common legend of these winged, flying lizards that could at times breath flames. First off, how is it that they each had a legend and story of these magnificent creatures without even coming in contact with outher lands such as the Mayans, Aztec, and Incas. The only solution is the fact that they had to exist at one point but were then later exterminated by the human race which has happened on more than one occasion. Look back to the 13th and 14th century. King Arthur had slain many dragons and so had many other knights. In that era, it was a great honor to be able to go out and slay the dragon that was terrorizing nearby villages and towns. The knight would go out and not return till he brought home the head of the beast and if he came back without it he would be put to death in a variety of ways. It is true that the knights of that eran had a tendancy to boast and stretch their stories but with soo many accounts and witnesses that had documented these events, it is clear that the basic ground fact is that they had to exist and that they did go out and slay dragons. Some legends recount the fact that dragons could breath fire. One theory is that as dragons inhaled, they were able to store hydrogen in a third lung and when needed, could expell it with another gas that would ingnite though a chemical reaction. Another theory is one that you might be more familiar with. There was a movie that came out a while back called "Reign of Fire". The dragons in that movie had two sets of glands that when sprayed and combined would ignite as well through a chemical reaction, kind've like being able to gleak (beign able to shoot saliva out from under your toung) and then lighting it on fire. Judging by the past evidence and recounts in history I stand resolved that dragons did in fact exist and ask that you vote in favor of the Affirmative.

Penn kalgh

Penn kalgh

Heres my Debate topic.... post #2
I believe they did, but not how history has portrayed them. I believe they were rather small and didn't breathe out fire but were more like Alligators and Crocodiles that lived all around the globe, because of their fearsome reputation i think they were hunted and killed.

Bettley1

Bettley1

Heres my Debate topic.... post #3
Im sure some archeaologist would have found remains of one if they had existed.
Especially if knights had gone around slaying them and cutting their heads off.

ThisGuy

ThisGuy

Heres my Debate topic.... post #4
Voted,
NO

T

TrevorH

Heres my Debate topic.... post #5
dinosaurs?
a teridactal was a winged lizard, dragon right.
dragon probably evolved from dinosaur stories passed down rom one generation to the next.

K

Karl H. Marx

Heres my Debate topic.... post #6
Probably some little lizardy thing that spat acid. The acid burned people and over time its changed from acid to fire.

G

goldendragon

Heres my Debate topic.... post #7
Well this failed epically. At least I got some feedback though.

Keep em' coming because you're helping me come up with ways to counter-attack my opponent's arguments when it comes time for the actual debate.

M

Marcus Poopy

Heres my Debate topic.... post #8
lolz at the fact that u believe dragons existed HAHAHAH ub3r poser=you

jk, its very possible. but i doubt they breathed fire and shit. but dinosaurs were pretty hardcore back in the day.

G

goldendragon

Heres my Debate topic.... post #9
lolz at the fact that u believe dragons existed HAHAHAH ub3r poser=you
:roll:Its just like people believing in God, Buddha, or Allah. The only difference is they center their lives around their god/gods.

M

Marcus Poopy

Heres my Debate topic.... post #10
:roll:Its just like people believing in God, Buddha, or Allah. The only difference is they center their lives around their god/gods.
HAHAHAHAHAHA wow, i know what you mean.

i am 100% against the possibilty of god or jesus ever existing. i believe its a story made up by the church to scare people into paying them.

T

TrevorH

Heres my Debate topic.... post #11
Probably some little lizardy thing that spat acid. The acid burned people and over time its changed from acid to fire.
that actually sounds realistic.

G

goldendragon

Heres my Debate topic.... post #12
HAHAHAHAHAHA wow, i know what you mean.

i am 100% against the possibilty of god or jesus ever existing. i believe its a story made up by the church to scare people into paying them.
I do think that there is a higher being but I am unsure of wether or not it is actually taking an active roll in our lives. That I believe fate takes care of, or Karma. I know %110 percent that the church has re-written the bible countless times to suit their own causes throughout the years. Some of which were rather moniacle if you ask me.

wethepeople2005

wethepeople2005

Heres my Debate topic.... post #13
nothing is impossible...
but it's probably like Chinese whispers

Crayola

Crayola

Heres my Debate topic.... post #15
chinese whispers : someone says a word, he tells someone else by the end of the continuous chain of people it has changed dramatically from how it started.

I dont think there were dragons myself, if so where is the proof, any bones or anything?

M

Marcus Poopy

Heres my Debate topic.... post #16
I do think that there is a higher being but I am unsure of wether or not it is actually taking an active roll in our lives. That I believe fate takes care of, or Karma. I know %110 percent that the church has re-written the bible countless times to suit their own causes throughout the years. Some of which were rather moniacle if you ask me.
true. and my opinion is that karma is the more reasonable version of religion.

the bottom line is: be nice to people and do good deeds, and then nice things will happen to you.

T

TrevorH

Heres my Debate topic.... post #17
so cjinese whispers is like telephone?

Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Heres my Debate topic.... post #19
There are multiple non-Biblical sources that prove that Jesus did in fact live. Whether or not He was the Son of God, well that's up to you to decide. Let's not get into this discussion, as religion debates are banned here.

I don't think that dragons ever existed. There's a theory that has to do with Venus that makes complete sense. Basically, thousands of years ago, before Venus orbited the Sun like it does today, it came really close to Earth a few times. A comet's tail actually waves, almost like a dragon's tale. During one pass, Venus came so close to Earth that the humans here at the time could hear it. It also dumped loads of oil, which fell as fireballs. Perhaps this where the fire-breathing dragon legend comes from?

TimeIsMoney

TimeIsMoney

Heres my Debate topic.... post #20
chinese whispers : someone says a word, he tells someone else by the end of the continuous chain of people it has changed dramatically from how it started.

I dont think there were dragons myself, if so where is the proof, any bones or anything?
Chinese whispers.... reminds of primay school I used to love changing it to something completly different

New Topics