Help with two piece cranks!

• Discuss Help with two piece cranks! in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Im putting a new chainwheel on and can't seem to get the crank arm off. Someone please help! ...
B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #1
Im putting a new chainwheel on and can't seem to get the crank arm off. Someone please help!

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #2
do you mean it's still stuck on after you remove the crank bolt?

L

Lay

Help with two piece cranks! post #3
Im putting a new chainwheel on and can't seem to get the crank arm off. Someone please help!
Okay, your crankset should have came with a crank puller, if you cannot get it off, Get a rubber mallet and lightly tap it off.

EDIT:Might want to use some WD-40 to get the gunk out of there.

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #4
I think so the crank bolt is the one on the end right? One side has a sticker that says Do Not Remove and the other side doesn't have that sticker

EasternWallet

EasternWallet

Help with two piece cranks! post #5
what kind of crank?

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #6
that's odd, i assume these are cranks on a complete bike of some sort? If you remove the crank bolt on the arm with the sprocket on, and it won't come off, then use a rubber mallet to try and tap it off.

If that doesn't work, remove the crank arm off the other side, and tap the spindle through and pull the other crank off while it's still attached to the spindle.

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #7
Yes it is on a DK Step up. So I would be tapping it to the right?

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #8
well yeah what good is tapping it back towards your frame? haha

If that doesn't work then could you take some pics of the problem?

L

Lay

Help with two piece cranks! post #9
which ever side opposite of "Do not remove"

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #10
well yeah what good is tapping it back towards your frame? haha

If that doesn't work then could you take some pics of the problem?
Ok im taking them now i'll post in just a sec

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #11
Awesome, you never know, something else might be causing a problem that you haven't realised or something, just from threads i've seen on here before, pics will help a lot.

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #13
You appear to be trying to remove the wrong crank arm, you wanna take off the one with the sprocket on it, the sprocket it attached to it with a bolt.

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #14
Well there is a little sticker that said do not remove.. so i thought i better not remove it.

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #15
nah don't worry there's nothing wrong with removing it. you need to to replace the sprocket.

The whole bottom bracket arrangement isn't very complicated at all despite how it may look to people who haven't taken bikes apart before.

T

t1jay

Help with two piece cranks! post #16
could you have given us smaller pics? i cant see anything wrong, id say just keep tapping it.

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #17
Oh alright thanks man!

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #18
It should come off with some encouragement, just take the bolt out and give it a tug, if it doesn't come off just whack it with a rubber mallet, you can hit it hard it won't damage it. If you only have a metal hammer use a piece of wood between the arm and the hammer so you don't scratch it.

There should be a bolt holding the sprocket on, take the sprocket off, bolt your new one on then the arm just slides back on and you re-apply the crank bolts, should be straightforward!

B

berg

Help with two piece cranks! post #19
The Crank near the sprocket has a sticker that says arm not removable

Biggles

Biggles

Help with two piece cranks! post #20
so there's no bolt in the end of it like the other arm?

2 piece cranks on a complete, that's quite strange! in that case you should remove the arm without the sprocket on, and then knock the spindle through your frame with your hammer so then you'll have the crank arm, with the sprocket bolted on, still attached to the spindle completely out of your bike.

Try that!

New Topics