Help! Wheel build

• Discuss Help! Wheel build in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; [COLOR="Red"][B]Still need spokes and nipples[/B][/COLOR] I'm looking to get a new wheel soon. Reccomened me parts. I was thinking a Shadow... ...
Q

Quid

Help! Wheel build post #1
Still need spokes and nipples
I'm looking to get a new wheel soon.
Reccomened me parts.

I was thinking a
Shadow rant v2 black 36h 9t
Primo balance 7005 black
And Halo black spokes with black nipples
I know I want alloy nipples and spokes in black. But what spokes, and where to get them?
Give me your idea's for a wheel you would want to get too. I don't grind usually.
I just need some help. ::oops:

TELL ME are they any good?
http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/black-spokes.html

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/black-db-spokes.html
And which one to get?

Last edited:
gradytroop

gradytroop

Help! Wheel build post #2
I'm getting a shadow rant v2 laced to a g-sport ribcage.
I don't really see a major difference in spokes unless you're going Ti or something like that,
i ran primo and they were fine for me, like many other spokes are, so it's really up to you depending on what your liking.

A-J

A-J

Help! Wheel build post #3
dont get primo, there alot weaker than most spoke you can buy out there, and dont get Ti, they stretch like hell. if you can get halo double butted spokes :) or dt swiss

Last edited:
Pickles

Pickles

Help! Wheel build post #4
1) Get brass nipples. Alloy can be painted pretty colors,but strip easier. honestly,who cares about nipple color. (Trust me,I tried to find a different way to phrase that)

2)Mattius gets rep. Primo spokes suck ass. Get sapim front and dt swiss rear. thats my setup.

primo spokes stretch faster then others,making them looser,and the wheel weaker and easier to get out of true. which, THATS not fun to fix!

Q

Quid

Help! Wheel build post #5
Alright. So how about a
Shadow rant v2
Fly fornt black
Dt spokes
And some alloy nipples in black. I really want a strong black wheel.

A-J

A-J

Help! Wheel build post #6
this is for a front wheel yeah? get a simple eject hub if you can afford it? lighter and stronger, with better quality bearings :)
and for the rim i personally dont think its worth getting a fly rim, a hazzard is good enough or get a 7ka maybe even a ribcage :)

Pickles

Pickles

Help! Wheel build post #7
Alright. So how about a
Shadow rant v2
Fly fornt black
Dt spokes
And some alloy nipples in black. I really want a strong black wheel.
alloy is NOT what you want. alloy is weaker then brass...theyre way cheaper,but theyre stronger. [the]alloy[used in BMX spoke nipples] is a more expensive material (supply+demand,learn it) than brass, so theyre more expensive,and the alloy nipples can be made in more colors,make sense?

brass is stronger,it even says it on dans: "The look of alloy with the life span of brass"....

get a hoffman generator front,they work. they actually kick ass. for the back, g sport ribcage. ca-ching XD

get a WTP front hub. that eject hub is hell to lace,I did one before,and since then I have told about 4 or 5 people that "Sorry,we dont lace those hubs anymore" because they're hell to lace, and honestly they arent very strong.

Last edited:
Q

Quid

Help! Wheel build post #8
this is for a front wheel yeah? get a simple eject hub if you can afford it? lighter and stronger, with better quality bearings :)
and for the rim i personally dont think its worth getting a fly rim, a hazzard is good enough or get a 7ka maybe even a ribcage :)
Um, no it's not a front wheel. I'm getting a new back wheel. And I've heard alot of good/bad things about the simple eject.

And I guess I just wanted the alloy nipples for the weight, but it's not that much anyways. SO I'll be getting brass nipples. I didn't know that they had black brass nipples on dans. Last I checked they only had silver. Thanks. ;] And it's going to be a

Shadow rant v2
Odyssey hazard lite/Gsport rib
Some dt spokes
Black brass nipples.

Unless there are any other really good setups? Suggestions... Please.

Pickles

Pickles

Help! Wheel build post #9
ah,well when I saw fly originally I thought you meant hub,and since you said the rant...you can fill in the rest

wow,so most of my posts make no sense,but that wheel sounds awesome. Personally not the hub Id go for,but Ive heard nothing bad about it,pretty much neutral on it.

by the way,if you want to paint the brass spokes....take a piece of fishing line,tie it to something,put the nippled you want to paint on there,and then tie up the other end,and the line should be taught,so its straight. spread out the nipple,and spray them with some paint. thats how I did mine,mine are red now XD

Q

Quid

Help! Wheel build post #10
Alright. That makes sense. I'm pretty stoked about this wheel too. Unless anyone can give me a better set up. For around the same price. I'm getting the
Shadow rant v2 black
Primo balance 7005 black
With halo spokes in black. Not sure which one but. I'm super excited. It's going to be dialed.

New Topics