Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wheelie

Help the rookie. post #1
Hey, peeps.
Just have some questions about freestyle BMX'ing, and I hope you experienced can answer them.
Is it an expensive hobby? How much should a good bike cost, normaly? (roughly, of course )
About how long does it take to become a good 'biker', from being a rookie, like me? Is it possible to just have it as a hobby, aside from school and such? Wouldn't want to give up school..heh..
What bikes have ya got? What's good and bad about'em? Have any tips on a good bike?
What's more fun (as a hobby): Flatland, street, dirt etc?
I would appreciate your answers..thanks. :)

N

Norfox

Help the rookie. post #2
hi
it's not an expensive hobby , snowboarding for example is more expensive. you only need a bike (from 300€ up to1000€, my sunn sabre cost about 400€) and if you prefer dirt, vert or park you should wear protective gear
i can't tell you how long it takes to become a good bmx rider, the rule is: the more you ride the better you become 8)
i just have it as a hobby (aside school)....it's the best hobby that exists :mrgreen:
i started with street riding because flatland was too boring and too hard for me and there weren't any dirt parks or verts around my village..
one month ago i startet to build a dirt park with some friends and we are already able to do some nice tricks in the air. dirt jumping is pure fun...the only important thing is to be tough ....the first times when you start pedaling towards a big double you have to beat your scare but if you have landed you feel great 8)
ok i hope i could help you

W

Wheelie

Help the rookie. post #3
Yep!

Thanks, man. :D
I've posted on several other forums and this is the first time I got a reply. 8)

Thanks again for the help. :)

S

Sprocket

Help the rookie. post #4
Norfox said:
hi
it's not an expensive hobby , snowboarding for example is more expensive. you only need a bike (from 300€ up to1000€, my sunn sabre cost about 400€)
actually, it is a very expensive hobby, you may have not been riding long enough to realize that parts need replacing. say your cranks snap, that is $125+, frame bends or cracks, $300+, new pedals, $15+, new wheels, about $100+ each. seats are about $20+. and what about the magazines and videos you plan to buy? that is another 20 bucks. then there is the ORIGINAL bike you had bought for $300+. tires, $20 each. and the tubes when you pop the tire. $4+ each. headsets are $15-70+. do't forget seatposts, grips, chainwheels, chains, and sprockets ($30+) you will NOT keep the same bike during your hobby. you will most likely replace each part, maybe more than once, if you plan to ride for more than a year.

Norfoxk, how long HAVE you been riding? the bike will be replaced bit by bit.

T

T34418L3_1

Help the rookie. post #5
It all depends. U can by a cheap bmx at walmart that will break in about 2 days for about $100 or you can go to a bike shop and end up spendin $1000,s. Dont go spending $2000 on a bike if ur not sure yet if bmxing is your thing. Buy a cheaper bike (from a bike shop, not at walmart) then if u realize that u r really getting into bmx then u can always upgrade parts.

G

geekface

Help the rookie. post #6
dood

ok
flatlanding is the most hard to get good atcuz it takes a long time to learn tricks but when u land them its the best thing

dirt jump is probably better if u enjoy injurys and big air im not sure about the tricks im nto really into this

dirt racing its like moto-cross with out the engines i rekon its pretty boring but i never ttried

and street is the most popular and proably the most fun and its probably the easiest, altho for me i tried it and gave up for flatlanding

and vert i wouldnt try until u kno u like this and ur pretty gud and u like pain,i speak from experiance

S

street rider

Help the rookie. post #7
Well it can be expensive or you can take the cheap option and not get as good quality parts/bike, i built my bmx and it cost me quite a lot coz i got decent parts, its been said already the more u ride the better you'l get, and its a great hobby :roll:

S

street rider

Help the rookie. post #8
Oh and if u want a good bike get a copy of Ride Bmx magazine and have a look at the ads u'l see good bikes in it, rather than some shit bike u cud end up buying from a department store, happy shopping :p

G

Help the rookie. post #9
haro f-1 is a really good bike for $200 ive put 350 into mine tho i would say get the haro 540 mirra pro $500

acardey

acardey

Help the rookie. post #10
its not expensive if you compare it to say downhill mtb racing :?

KoolAidGuy

KoolAidGuy

Help the rookie. post #11
Levi said:
haro f-1 is a really good bike for $200 ive put 350 into mine tho i would say get the haro 540 mirra pro $500
dont listen to him,dont get a haro 540

G

Help the rookie. post #12
why not??

loz

loz

Help the rookie. post #13
its probably the cheapest cyleing sport and also the best becuase it has places like this were every1 is here to help and chat to

KoolAidGuy

KoolAidGuy

Help the rookie. post #14
A

Aceman

Help the rookie. post #15
You start to get quality in a bike at around 300 USD. As long as you're not retarded you shouldnt break anything for a while. My bike cost 350 to start and I've put about 250 into it every year. Looking at it that way, its not a very expensive hobby at all. Just look at paintball or snowboarding.

What style of riding is funnest is really up to you. Some enjoy the challenge of flatland. others like the thrill of park or the flow of dirt riding. I, however; enjoy the freedom of street riding. Just experiment with different things until you find what you like

T

Trimix

Help the rookie. post #16
Levi said:
You get the award for digging up the oldest thread ever. 4 years...whoa.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics