Help me select a bike.

• Discuss Help me select a bike. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hi, im new to these forums. I have been riding BMX for about a year , but im basically at begginer skill level because noone near me rides. I have been... ...
  • Tags bike bmx dirt parts street
I

Ihaterednecks

Help me select a bike. post #1
Hi, im new to these forums. I have been riding BMX for about a year , but im basically at begginer skill level because noone near me rides. I have been riding a redline Double X with redline 3 piece Crank , oddysey pro dirt fork, haro slim bars, Oddysey pedals(forgot what there called) and stem (chock fulla nuts, or something like that) I Know i was dumb to add all that to a bad bike, but since noone near me rode, I didnt know how stupid i was. I only ride dirt ( and maybe some street) but i dont like pegs becuase i can only bunny-hop a maximum of about 3 inches.

I want to buy a new bike and put my old fork (its a ok fork, right?) And maybe my old stem (no annoying threaded screws) and bars. My budget is about $330, Id like a light bike that is still fairly strong. I was looking at the volume "blacksheep" but it seems sorta heavy (33 lbs). I have also been looking in the classifieds at danscomp.com , And i thought there were some pretty good deals there. If anyone could give me advice about a good bike for me, It would be appreciated.

Thank you for your replys.

A

ashton

Help me select a bike. post #2
the redline double x is a good bike and you dont need anything more as you said you are only at beginner level and with the mods you have done to it, it sounds like a killer set up and you wont be breaking anything on that bike untill you are busting massive trincks and shit like that. keep that bike there is nothing wrong with it!

i just read what i wrote and it sounded like an order i didnt mean it like that its just that that is a good bike and you dont need to change it...

I

Ihaterednecks

Help me select a bike. post #3
thank you for your reply.Its a sturdy bike, Its just heavy. Maybe i will just save up until i really need a better bike, Any more advice or tips would be helpful.

F

federal_rider12

Help me select a bike. post #4
my 2 bike was a redline limited edition xx mine was diff then the others(including the special edition) b/c of diff parts and it had a full 4130 chromoly frame it was a great frame but when i got my federal division i noticed how much stiffer the welds were and how much stiffer the frame is made(my redline flexed when havin hard landins) but this federal u land and u feel it all but it is light and very strong

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Help me select a bike. post #5
my advise to you is to just wait untill you brake certain parts, then replace those parts which were broken. pretty soon you will have a totally new bike. and yeah those parts (cranks forks and stem etc) are all very good, so just keep on adding parts as you need them, there is no point in spending a whole load of cash on a new bike if your old one has some great parts and is working fine.

however one thing which you could do if you really dont like the way your bikes is at the moment is to buy a new frame. while the redline is perfectly suitable, if you want to change the way your bike feels and save some weight, changing the frame is probably the best way to do it.

oh and unless you spend some serious cash on a new bike, i doubt whether the parts on it will be that much better than the ones you have now. so i say, stick what you have good and just add new parts when you need them, or buy a new frame.

I

Ihaterednecks

Help me select a bike. post #6
Thank you all for your advice and responces, I think im going to keep my bike, And be saving up for a new frame. Anyone know of a good frame that is lightweight and nice for riding trails? Also around 200-300$? Thank you.

A

ashton

Help me select a bike. post #7
wethepeople 4 seasons is a nice trails frame

O

oibmxpunx

Help me select a bike. post #8
FIT S&M FBM are all good

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Help me select a bike. post #9
for 200-300 american (i presume) there are quite a few nice frames around. but there is a general rule, a taiwanese made frame costs about 200 "green" but americans tend to cost over 300.

a few good taiwan frames are:

wethepeople 4 seasons
mutiny sinister
2004 federal division
volume dinosaur
fly diablo
2004 macneil ruben
fly pantera

some good american frames which are below 300 are:

s&m dirt bike classic
fbm outsider
dirt bros patriot
dirt bros trail r park
dirt bros chris myers
dirt bros gary young

(the above are probably the best "bang for you buck so to speak, as they are real good american frames for less than $300!!!!! how can you lose)

but if you want a $300+ frame then you could look at any of the below frames (and note i have not listed even half what are available):

fbm night train
fbm old boy
brickhouse street frame
fit series 1
fit series 2
fit van homan
fit aitkin
fit foster
fit edwin (nae brakes though!)
kink cielenkci
kink freebird
metal burma
metal daggar
s&m black bike
s&m pbr
s&m stricker
solid kp ripper
standard trls
standard trls ox
wethepeople omen 2004
t1 barcode
alliance psi

and many many more

my recomendation is a fbm outsider though, check the linkand look for the outsider frame, it rules: http://www.fbmbmx.com

I

Ihaterednecks

Help me select a bike. post #10
Thanks alot, all you guy's post are helping I was think about buying a volume dinosuar of danscomp, there on sale for 150$ and they weigh about 7 lbs. So i can aford the bike shop to install it (about 100$). I think i would have lots of trouble if i tryed to install the frame by myself. Does anyone know if the dinosuar is lighter than the redline XX frame?

Once I get a new frame I was thinking about buying lighter parts when I can aford them. The macneil seat/seatpost combo looks strong and very light. But I cant find it for sale anywhere. I still use the old redline chainwheel so im going to change that out. I might keep the bars (Haro Slimbars) The are nice and small. And I Know i should get different wheels (Im using the Redline stock). Ill probably be able to get the frame and have it installed in march (my birthday) and itll will be a while till i get the parts. Also, by the time i get the setup i want i should of progressed in riding a good bit. Thank you all for answering my questions and giving me good advice.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Help me select a bike. post #11
well i f you dont mind waiting a bit the new 2004 volumes dinosuars should be out soon and they are like 5lb's lighter than the old 7 lb's.

F

federal_rider12

Help me select a bike. post #12
i like volume and federal u get a great bike without the heavy price tag

LYnCho1

LYnCho1

Help me select a bike. post #13
new bikes

wot is a better bike

WTP DIV or WTP 4 seasons

the div luks betta to me becuz da frame luks shorter so i wd av more control bt i dunno, wot u fink

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Help me select a bike. post #14
the div is a purely flatland frame, and should ONLY be used for flat, if thats what you ride, it should be very good. the 4 seasons is an all round frame and will hold up well on dirt/parks and street. (even flat too if you get a short one) the 4 seasons is a very good pretty strong, and light weight frame which uses some of the best japanese cro mo around.

LYnCho1

LYnCho1

Help me select a bike. post #15
thnx, am i speakin normly or not

New Topics