Help: Constant Back Brake Problems

• Discuss Help: Constant Back Brake Problems in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. :D Ok I saw the post about fixing bikes (sticky) and I read the section on making brakes work better. I have... ...
  • Tags bike parts vert
X Boarder

X Boarder

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #1
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. :D

Ok I saw the post about fixing bikes (sticky) and I read the section on making brakes work better. I have tried evertying. I tried both methods described in the post, tried buying new brake pads, new brakes, taking it to shops for THEM to fix it.. nothing seems to make my brakes work better. They are horribly bad. :?

First of all, it is very hard to press the brakes (physically hard), and then they get stuck in pressed position, and slooowwwlly go back to normal. Maybe this is because of very much friction in the .. rubber tubes.. I have no idea. It is impossible to skid on my bike, thats how bad the brakes are. If I dont press them as hard as I can, its barely noticable that there ARE brakes being presssed. 8O

Aanyway I checked my rim aswell cuz i know that a big problem is if the rim is bent the brakes will be really messed up. My rim is perfectly fine except for one big dent that I fixed a while ago. I've been having this problem since I bought the bike.. any suggestions??? :?:

Thanks a lot :D

D

Devourment 138

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #2
buy a new brake cable....tear down your brakes and clean them grease the brake mounts lightly. and that should do it.

C

cav89

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #3
Yep, ok, i had that problem with my old bike, and, i in fact, wrote that topic... :D :D thanks for reading it, sorry it didnt help you, so ill have a go now.

Take your brakes off, your cables off, and ANY other parts that your braking sytem run through, with the exception of a gyro.

Grease your brake mounts and place the brake arms in correct order on them. REMOVE the caps AND screws from the arms. MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE SPRINGS IN THERE!!!!

Replace the caps and screws and tighten them down till they are fully tightened, now loosen them approx. 1/2 turn. get a 15mm spanner( these are the norm. size) and turn the cap in its corresponding direction( for the cap on the left side of your bike, turn slockwise, the right, turn anti-clockwise) 3/4 of a full turn. Hold the cap in place with the spanner and tighten the bolt ALL the way, AND THEN SOME.

If you have a single cable, attach to the lever and run through any loops/zip-ties/cable-ties etc that are on your bike, through the lower housing, and into the Straddle Cable device(i still have no idea what this is called :? ) anyhow, place your straddle cable in its correct location in the left brake arm, the one with the "U" like thingy, Up, and through the straddle device, and back to the right brake arm, the one with the bolt and nut. insert the cable through the bolt.

pull the TOPS of the brake arms together until the pads are approx. 1/4 inch from the rm, pull the straddle cable through with a pair of pliers, and tighten the nut. pull on the lever and see how this works, if the pads dont reach the rim, or they arent stopping it, adjust the housing's on the lever, and in the seat tube, or down tube.

If you have a gyro let me know in a reply so i can discuss this further, as i am a little bit busy atm......hope this all helps.

cav

X Boarder

X Boarder

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #4
Wow

Wow thanks for the help. Although I don't know what most of the stuff you are talking about actualy is.. I'll try to figure it out. Only thing im scared of is, after taking everyting apart, not knowing how to put everyting back together, or doing it wrong and screweing evertying up.

Yes I do have a gyro.

D

Devourment 138

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #5
ditch the gyro and do what I said...

C

cav89

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #6
Damn, a dude with a gyro, more writin for me, oh well......it helps somebody.

OK, first of all, Parts are as follows:
Lever: this is a no-brainer, it is the lever which you pull to use your brakes.
Housing: This si the tube that your metal cable sits inside.
Barrel Adjuster: this is the small metal screwy item that screws into your lever and seat post/tube.
Straddle Cable Device: Curves the straddle cable to fit both brake arms.
Straddle Cable: The peice of cable that pulls brake arms together.
Brake arms: The two pieces of metal that hold the pads and push them against the rims.
Brake mounts: these are the two round metal objects that the brake arms sit upon.
Caps: these are two round, often metal, objects that connect to the mounts via a screw, but sit on top of the brake arms.
Springs: these sit inside the caps and arms, on the mounts.
Bolts: these tighten the caps down, and when used with a spanne for the springs, create spring tension.
Pads: these are what squeeze against your rim to stop your bike.

Those are all the parts that affect your braking, with the exception of a gyro, yet again, and a rim.

Hopefully that helped with what i said before.

Now, to set up your brakes, follow the instructions to set up your lever as before, then thread the corresponding cable through the corresponding side, ie, left upper cable to left gyro tab.

Repeat with the bottom of the gyro, and make sure that the barrel adjusters are all the way in on both sides, and the housing is inside them.

Follow the brake setup instructions as per above, and tighten the straddle cable, and barrel adjusters as necessary to create the required amount of slack/tension....

hope this helped a bit more, if not, just let me know.

cav

F

federal_rider12

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #7
ok you have 2 things i can think of that are making it too hard to stop.

1-springs were tighten down too much. you will have to go back and loosen the bolt a bit and keep checking the brakes to make sure the springs dont get loose but the bolt shoud not be torqued down as hard as possible or they wont work properly.

2-brakes are too close to the rims due to tight cable. when pulling its taking lost of force put some slack into the cable and when doing this put all adjusting barrels(on frame and brake lever and gyro) back down to nothing so that it isnt making the cable tighter. most of the time this happens on gyros and having them that tight the gyro doesnt pull very well so put slack in the system and if you want to remove the gyro and run a straight cable, quite a bit of braking power is lost in the gyro but the gyro can make a big difference

X Boarder

X Boarder

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #8
ty

Thanks. My brakes are pretty old and the barrel adjuster near the lever (i only have back brakes) is screwed up, the threads are totally ruined, and it cannot tighten or loosen. Should I buy new brakes? If so, how much does a decent pair of back brakes cost? (Canadian Money)

Also, after making my brakes work better, how good would they work? Would I be able to skid, putting all my weight on my back tire?

S

sandmriderbmx

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #10
the lever might be too tight, i dont really know alot about brakes, i go brakless

F

federal_rider12

Help: Constant Back Brake Problems post #11
well you will need a new lever and the gyro can also decrease stopping ability so if you want to ditch it. now your brakes if tuned right can work as good as any brake but if taken to a bike shop they might not be able to do it

New Topics