HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier??

• Discuss HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey all i was just wondering, i can bunnyhop around a foot and a half, but i cant seem to get over that no matter how i try. i remember hearing... ...
  • Tags bar hop bike bikes manual vert
X Boarder

X Boarder

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #1
hey all

i was just wondering, i can bunnyhop around a foot and a half, but i cant seem to get over that no matter how i try. i remember hearing somewhere that you have to lift up really high, then, to get more air, do like a pogo and THEN level out, getting more height?? Is this true??

i have no problem lifting up, i can flip my bike over easily, but i just dont get how to do the above. ive been stuck at 1.5 feet for almost a year now i really need help, anything would be appreciated. thnks :?

T

Todd

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #2
The way you described advanced hopping is true, but you should be able to get stem height with normal hopping technique.

Our bikes are designed so that when you pull the front end up to the balance point and suck up the back, you level out at about stem height.

After you are at that height regularly and ready to go higher, the way to do it is..

Pull up harder so that the front end of the bike actually pulls your bike off the ground without even hopping. This takes some muscle, and comes after lots of time. You then suck the back up as high as you can.

It sounds like the best thing for you to do right now is to change your technique of your hop to get more height. Perhaps you don't pull your bike to the balance point (where if you pull back any more you will fall backwards) and only pull your bike up a foot and a half or two feet. Once you get used to pulling the front higher, your back end technique will follow, and your hop will become better. I hope I helped.

X Boarder

X Boarder

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #3
thanks a lot i will try that next time i go out riding. how many feet is stem height though? (teporarily forget what stem is) :?

T

Todd

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #4
Your stem holds your handlebars on your bike.

Bladerboi2k4

Bladerboi2k4

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #5
same here im a starter at bmx and sh1t and i cant bunnyhop more than 5 inches of the groiund. but my j-hop seems to get about 6.5 inches. some help please? im only 13.

Clutch

Clutch

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #6
Todd said:
The way you described advanced hopping is true, but you should be able to get stem height with normal hopping technique.

Our bikes are designed so that when you pull the front end up to the balance point and suck up the back, you level out at about stem height.

After you are at that height regularly and ready to go higher, the way to do it is..

Pull up harder so that the front end of the bike actually pulls your bike off the ground without even hopping. This takes some muscle, and comes after lots of time. You then suck the back up as high as you can.

It sounds like the best thing for you to do right now is to change your technique of your hop to get more height. Perhaps you don't pull your bike to the balance point (where if you pull back any more you will fall backwards) and only pull your bike up a foot and a half or two feet. Once you get used to pulling the front higher, your back end technique will follow, and your hop will become better. I hope I helped.
I agree with you on most of what you said, but I have to comment on your comment "Pull up harder so that the front end of the bike actually pulls your bike off the ground without even hopping. This takes some muscle, and comes after lots of time. You then suck the back up as high as you can."... Whether you hop a little or a lot you are always going to have to hop. What I get from reading this is that you essentually don't need your legs... When I feel better I'm going to go try it, but I can tell you right now you can rip on your handle bars as hard as you want, but if you don't pull up with your legs at about the same time you're just going to manual or loop out.

T

Trimix

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #7
I think he was trying to say that with the "suck up the back end" statement, but I agree. I can hop 24" (60cm) consistently, and even hit 30" (75cm) a few times. All using the technique you are both describing.

T

Tibro

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #8
wow i wish i could hop that high!

Y

yomamma

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #9
i can't really say i'm an expert but i learnt by gradually bunny hopping higher things, or get a skateboard and buny hop it normal, then turn it on its side, then try 2 skateboards, or try doin different walls.

M

Macneil Biker456

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #10
I learned the same way as yomamma, lol, seriously. Now I can bunnyhop over roadblocks (they look like this: /''''''\) and stuff that are over 2 feet (24in.) high. The highest amount of skateboards stacked vertical I have done is 4, which is shorter than the roadblocks, but that's besides the point. In order to bunnyhop well you have to be able to manual well, because that's the whole first half of the bunnyhop. The higher the manual the higher the bunnyhop. A split second before you reach the highest point in your manual hop with your back legs, tuck them in, and push your arms forward hard. If your arms are bent you wont have a huge and level bunnyhop. When you come down land level on the ground but make sure your back wheel hits first. Like yomamma said try bunnyhopping over increasingly high objects like skateboards. I think that vertically stacked skateboards are best, because the decks are really thin, you can lock them together, and if you bunnyhop too low then you will just knock them over and ride over them. Speaking of which, no matter what anybody says, it is very unlikely for you to break the boards if you miss the bunnyhop. It took me a long time to be able to bunnyhop as high as I can now so don't give up.

blazer

blazer

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #11
yomamma said:
i can't really say i'm an expert but i learnt by gradually bunny hopping higher things, or get a skateboard and buny hop it normal, then turn it on its side, then try 2 skateboards, or try doin different walls.
are there any risks at hopping over a skateboard, like that the rear wheel gets caught up on it? cuz i got a skateboard and can hop little more than 5 inches but now i can't find a decent obstacle.

L

Louis K

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #12
blazer said:
yomamma said:
are there any risks at hopping over a skateboard, like that the rear wheel gets caught up on it? cuz i got a skateboard and can hop little more than 5 inches but now i can't find a decent obstacle.
Please don't bring back old topics. But no theirs no real risk in hopping over a skateboard, if you clip it, it will just fall over.

S

sixpacker

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #13
lol ya he can hop high now
such an old topic i dint even bike when this was posted

F

faolangrady

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #14
ummm pull up your front as high as you can and then tuck your legs up and try to hit your back tire on your but

F

fitbikeco909

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #15
holy shit this is old. so old that i posted on my old account :?

its pretty basic if you think about it. pull up so your bikes verticle and suck up the back end.

Diluted_Acid

Diluted_Acid

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #16
Reality is, it may only seem that you can only bunny hoo 1ft and a half, but ride towards a 2 ft ledge, and if you just keep positive, and visually see yourself hopping onto it, you will very likely make it. Also, if you can flip your bike from lifting the front end with ease, than i think its the tuck you may have to work on. Its all timing, maybe your not starting the hop at the right time. The bunny hop is all a flow like the ollie. Whilst riding fast you have to do the technique of pulling up quicker and hopping quicker. But when going slow you can do it slower.

milky harris

milky harris

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #17
someone posted about having to be good at manuals to hop well, i don't mean to contradict that but until recently i couldn't manual anymore than a few feet and i've been able to hop huge for longer.
i hardly use my legs when i do it, except for a small amount of spring, i pull directly up almost bringing the bike vertical and then tuck my whole body up.
i never learnt by hopping over or up things mainly because i used to be sh*t scared of it, (still am a bit now), i just learnt through loads of practice.
ride at a slow rolling pace and just repeatedly try to get higher, practice everyday and you will eventually develop a bigger hop, i got to about headtube height and then i didn't seem to imporve for a while then one day i just tried to hop high and did.

mtn

mtn

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #18
milky harris said:
i never learnt by hopping over or up things mainly because i used to be sh*t scared of it, (still am a bit now)
you're scared of hopping over shoeboxes? imo your hop improves faster when you hop over things instead of just hopping, if you just hop you can't really tell how high you went

milky harris

milky harris

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #19
i mean hopping up 2 foot plus ledges.
best thing i found once was a car tyre, quite big and quite safe to hop over.
good burn lol.

O

oldstreetthrasher

HELP: Bunnyhop; Breaking the Barrier?? post #20
Everyone needs to make a bunnyhop height bar. This will help you learn to bunnyhop on and over obstacles without fear of crashing. Get some 2x4's, nails, hammer, tape measure, and a saw. Cut 4 lengths of 2x4 3 foot long. Then cut 2 lengths of 2x4 1 1/2 feet long. Now... take 1 of the 3 foot lengths and nail one of the 1 1/2 foor lengths to it in a T shape (the longer piece should be the TOP part of the T). Repeat the process. Next, take both of the remaining two 3 foot long 2x4's and use a marker and the tape measure to mark out 1 inch increments all the way up one of the 2" wide sides (do this on both pieces.) After they are marked out, pound nails into EACH line but NOT all the way in. Leave about an inch and a half sticking out on each one. After that is done, set the T shaped pieces down so the long parts of the T are facing each other. Do it like this: -| |- Nail one of the 3 foot nail studded 2x4's to one of the long sides of the T's right where the 1 1/2 foot piece is nailed to it. (It's supposed to stick up, by the way, since it's your height measuring tool.) Do the same for the other T, but make sure the nails on the 3 foot piece are both facing the same way when the T's are facing each other. After that is done, set the stands a few feet apart and lay a broom handle across the nails at the lowest point you think you can easily bunnyhop. After you clear that, start working your way up. This is probably way too confusing. But try it anyway. I hope you can get the basic idea.

New Topics