Help: bike for beginner for under $225

T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #1
First and foremost, I know that $225 is not a lot, but it's really all I got (maybe $250 if it was REALLY worth it).

I've been riding bikes since I can remember but got into street & dirt a few weeks ago. I got an old K2 Ride that I got for $25 and have been trying to fix up. All the things it needs to get it in decent shape are adding up to the point where I'd rather just get a new bike and start riding.

I've been looking at the:

-Free Agent Trail Devil
-DK General Lee
-Free Agent Air Strike

I'm 6'1", 170 lbs. (if that makes a difference)

I'm truly a beginner (I'm still working on my bunnyhop) so I'm not worried about the bike holding up to serious punnishment. I want something I *can* upgrade someday, but hope to stay stock for a while. I mostly plan on just riding around, jumping over stuff, light dirt jumping, etc.

The only thing that's pretty important to me (on the stock setup) is the brakng ability. I've been battling with these stupid brakes that couldn't stop me if my life depended on it! I can't even get the wheel to lock up.

Any input is seriously appreciated :D

R

rocket

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #2
get the DK and practice like a mo-fo.

T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #3
I actually wasn't expecting someone to recommend the General Lee. I've heard that all of them made after 2002 are crap. Did I hear wrong?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Free Agent Trail Devil. Good price, good reviews, not to mention the fact that it comes with dirt tires that can be ridden on street (whereas street tires suck on dirt, I tried today).

Anyone else?

T

Trimix

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #4
T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #5
:oops:
okay, seriously, can anyone give me some advice? Any other bikes around that price that I left out?

S

slappyslapnuts

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #6
Dk 6 pack i love that bike if u could strech out get a 4pack OR got for a mirra 540 of these on sale mail orders also haro backtrail x2 is a good bike and easily upgradeable iwth 3pc cranks.

S

sandmriderbmx

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #7
nirves are really cheap and wold be good for begginer, or a haro or something, my revo is nice, and it was 200

R

rocket

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #8
tgreathead said:
:oops:
okay, seriously, can anyone give me some advice? Any other bikes around that price that I left out?
ok..even though your a beginner...i would strongly recomend you get something closer to $300 if you can. spending $100 more gives you about $200 more in better parts, frame, wheels, etc...

the general lee does suck. why? it has the cheapest everything including the frame. the Eight pack at least has a CROMO main frame and its only $40 more so thats what id recomend. the Free Agent is a pretty small bike.
how tall are you? and how old? that should have a lot to do with what size top tube you get.

gorgorothrider

gorgorothrider

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #9
if the trail devilfeel like the hell cat
you will have a frame with a bad feeling
They got real long back end

S

sandmriderbmx

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #10
i like the new mirra pro or the dk six pack is a good one

T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #11
I'm 6'1", 170 lbs, 22 years old. I have also been looking at the DK Eight Pack. I'm looking for something that will hold up to street riding, but give me the option to dirt jump too. The Eight Pack seems like it might be the one I'm looking for.

I've looked at the Nirve Theory too. It's got 3pc cranks, Tektro U brakes and at 35.5 lbs it won't be too heavy to jump.

Okay, between the DK Eight Pack and the Nirve Theory, what do you guys think?

R

rocket

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #12
tgreathead said:
I'm 6'1", 170 lbs, 22 years old. I have also been looking at the DK Eight Pack. I'm looking for something that will hold up to street riding, but give me the option to dirt jump too. The Eight Pack seems like it might be the one I'm looking for.

I've looked at the Nirve Theory too. It's got 3pc cranks, Tektro U brakes and at 35.5 lbs it won't be too heavy to jump.

omg i thought were a kid...DONT get anything with a 20" top tube like were talking about at first! your WAY too tall for a 20" top tube.

you are definitely leaning toward the right bike for starting out.
the Nirve has a crappy frame (dont get it), but the Eight Pack is much better (stronger). ive been riding for many many years so i know what im talkin about. Get the Eight Pack, unless you want to spend more.
feel free to ask any more questions.

T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #13
A local shop has serious deals on a DK Four Pack or Cleveland. I added a new poll about this. If money didn't matter, which would you get?

R

rocket

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #14
tgreathead said:
A local shop has serious deals on a DK Four Pack or Cleveland. I added a new poll about this. If money didn't matter, which would you get?
i Own a 4 Pack (2004) along with many other bikes. i would NEVER get the Cleveland over the 4 pack or the Six Pack. the Cleveland dont have 100% cromo tubing, so in my opinion its way overpriced. The Six pack or Four pack is the best bike ever for the price, plus its made for dirt or street.

T

tgreathead

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #15
Did they make the Four Pack in 2003? I didn't even look at the shop, but now I figure the discount must be because it's older.

How are your brakes? Could you lock up the wheel if you wanted to? I can't on the piece of crap I've been riding. No matter what I do (sand the rim, replace pads, replace brakes) it won't stop me in an emergency (at full speed it takes almost 30 feet to stop!!).

R

rocket

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #16
tgreathead said:
Did they make the Four Pack in 2003? I didn't even look at the shop, but now I figure the discount must be because it's older.

How are your brakes? Could you lock up the wheel if you wanted to? I can't on the piece of crap I've been riding. No matter what I do (sand the rim, replace pads, replace brakes) it won't stop me in an emergency (at full speed it takes almost 30 feet to stop!!).
i know DK has mixed up the names of their bikes from year to year...like one year its will be awesome but the next it wil be crap. The 4 pack how ever i think is new in 2004. if its black or tan then its a 2004. the 6 pack is just as good for about $80 less. only difference is what type of CROMO was used for the frame.
check out www.dkbicycles.com

T

Trimix

Help: bike for beginner for under $225 post #17
tgreathead said:

Yea, get a long top tube if you are 6' 1". I am 6 foot tall, 175 pounds.....I ride a 21" frame. Taller rider = longer frame (usually)

New Topics