help, are halfords lying?

P

poppyjoe

help, are halfords lying? post #1
im a 24 year old girl new to bmxing, i only wanna ride im not bothered about tricks right now, i went to halfords to have a look and the bloke told me i would need a 3 piece crank cz a 1 piece wouldnt take me (10 stone) by doing this he was suggesting i buy a much more expensive bike, i didnt buy anything. can someone give me the right info about cranks, and maybe recommend a bike for me i wanna spend up to £70-£120, ta

O

oibmxpunx

help, are halfords lying? post #2
whats halfords?
you probly cant get a bike for £70-£120 but im not to shure how much that is
10 stone?

P

poppyjoe

help, are halfords lying? post #3
140 pounds, halfords is a poo bike shop

O

oibmxpunx

help, are halfords lying? post #4
10 stone is 140 pounds?

P

poppyjoe

help, are halfords lying? post #5
yes

O

oibmxpunx

help, are halfords lying? post #6
ok i get it now lol so u want to get a bike for 140? right
try www.bmx-shop.co.uk cuz i dont know how much that is in usd

P

poppyjoe

help, are halfords lying? post #7
no i wanna know whats the difference between 1 piece crank and 3 piece. i weigh 140 pounds and a shop assistant told me a one piece crank bmx would not withstand my weight,

M

Mr_Shrapnel

help, are halfords lying? post #8
Ok, to understand what a one piece crank is, you must first understand what a 3 piece crank is. A 3 piece crank is made of 3 parts, (hence the name) 2 crank arms and one spindle, its quite simple, the spindle (or axle) goes through the bottom bracket (where the bearings are) and the crank arms (the metal lengths where the pedals connect to) are connected to the spindle via a couple of bolts, this creates a VERY strong mechanical system which is resistant to torsion and most other types of destructive force. It is generally considered that if you have any intent on riding BMX seriously you should get a 3 piece crank, to avoid crank snappage, and thus broken balls......well not in your case......
which brings me on to 1 piece cranks. A one piece is the crank spindle, and crank arms joined into one metal component, this is cheap to produce, but is weak. HOWEVER iT IS ONLY CONSIDERED WEAK, IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON BMXING SERIOUSLY! meaning that for you, who is "not interested in doing tricks at the moment" (why the hell not?!) a one piece crank will be fine especially if you only weigh 10 stone. (only?.. no offence)

I know a kid who probably weighs in at 11, and he has been running a one piece for about a year, he actually rides pretty harsh, and his crank is not bent one Pico.

conclusion = never trust halfords, they don't know diddly.
someone else can help you with bike choice.

C

casperh

help, are halfords lying? post #9
poppyjoe said:
no i wanna know whats the difference between 1 piece crank and 3 piece. i weigh 140 pounds and a shop assistant told me a one piece crank bmx would not withstand my weight,

that is bullshit, it was probably someone who wa faking he was a shop employee by the way, do you ever buy a normal bike at halfords? no because they are scrappy. conclusion their bmxes are scrappy too everything there is scrappy, if i was you with that budget i would try a second hand bike!

W

wonder_coot

help, are halfords lying? post #10
My friend is around the same weight as you and has ridden 1pc cranks on his WTP Thrillseeker for 2 years now. He rides dirt and street and isn't incredibly smooth, but he's had no problems at all.

I'd check Haro or Huffy for a bike round that price range, but if you can up your budget to £200 you can get a bike that will really last.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

help, are halfords lying? post #11
yeah, if poss you should try and stretch to about 200 quid. for that price you start getting relatively good quality rides which really will last.

its defiantly worth getting a bike for that price even if you are not going to seriously ride. if you can stretch to that much we can give you some pretty good recommendations, which will be a hell of a lot better than some halfords or argos crap.

C

casperh

help, are halfords lying? post #12
yeah it is basically that you have to pay more money
:p

B

BMXbrother

help, are halfords lying? post #13
No you don't need to max out your budget!
You can get loads of decent bikes for under £130
I'm getting my bike from www.bmx-shop.co.uk (with one piece cranks) and it's only £130!
And I know that it's decent before someone tells me it must be crap!

F

federal_rider12

help, are halfords lying? post #14
well with my experience with one piece cranks if you plan to jump at all with them theyll bend and i only weighed 120lbs before when i kept bending them my friend bent a 1 piece by jumping off a 6 in curb!!! thats ridiculousi bent one like 3in from center by jumping off a picnic table and we constantly kept bending them and we broke a few but if you dont plan to jump with the crank at all itll be fine but if you dont have the money you might as well use it or get a cheap 3 piece you can buy cheap forged cranks but they arent good but slightly better then 1 piece cranks

M

Mr_Shrapnel

help, are halfords lying? post #15
a one peice wil be fine for her dude, she says she does not want to da any tricks......

F

FT rider

help, are halfords lying? post #16
yeh one-piecers are fine, in fact better than some three piecers for example a had a complete DK come with 3 pieces and after 4 months from when i was a complete beginner they snapped, i could only hop for like 2 of them months and i was only airing a wallride..... and the actual arm snapped straight through, and im only 9 and a half stone, so.... and then as a replacement i borrowed 1 pieces off of a mate and they lasted like 6 months, so yeh stock bike 3 pieces are probably not worth it anyway so go with the 1 pieces

C

Chuzzlewit

help, are halfords lying? post #17
lol! you went to halfords! nah, just kidding, you weren't to know. just never ever listen to any halfords people, they dont have a clue, they just want money. anyway, their bikes suck. and for those who dont know what halfords is, it's a lame-ass store in the uk which sells anything to do with cars and bikes, but they suck.

F

FOL

help, are halfords lying? post #18
Go for the 1piece crank....It will hold for suuuure (unless it is already broken, which I don't assume) if you don't do any tricks.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

help, are halfords lying? post #19
i dont think she cares anymore.....

F

FOL

help, are halfords lying? post #20
she isn't replying very much indeed

New Topics