Hello and Tailwhip

• Discuss Hello and Tailwhip in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hello everyone that reads, posts and helps people on these forums. I hope this is a good BMX Forum, I have chosen to start posting here. Just last... ...
  • Tags bike bmx bmx bike bmx forum dirt endo jump tailwhip wheelie
C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #1
Hello everyone that reads, posts and helps people on these forums. I hope this is a good BMX Forum, I have chosen to start posting here.

Just last week I bought my first real BMX Bike.
Before this I had a crappy bike with pegs, no gyro or anything... and that was two years ago I would say probably, I could do any tricks, I could just ride it.

Sinse I bought my first real BMX Bike, a Schwinn, I have been riding everyday and trying to learn more and more. Everyone says an endo (I think that's the name) is the first thing you want to learn. I don't have access to any skateparks, don't have a ramp or half-pipe in my backyard, so all I can do is goto town and ride, or something along the lines of that, although it's a small town and not much to ride, untill I search and find all the good spots. I have a small circular gravel driveway (Gravel I am talking about: Loose rocks with alot of dirt). And right in front of my garage is a little maybe 15'x15' cement spot and my garage is cement also. Believe it or not I have been riding and trying to learn stuff on the gravel and this spot of cement. I have been working on the tailwhip as my FIRST trick.

I have seen posts on boards where someone has said, before "I have been trying tailwhips for two years, and I can almost land it". Today made one week sinse I had my bike, which means I have been trying the tailwhip for about 4 days. It is a tuff trick because balancing on the tire i super hard, slipping on the brake and you roll off, and many other things go wrong. This weekend my friend was here, and I like when people watch, so while we talked and he watched, I did some hardcore practice on the tailwhip. I wasn't doing well at all Friday, but today I was nearly landing it. I am at the point right now where I can get my foot almost on the frame, I sometimes get my foot to the frame and slip and fall off. Besides the cuts, scrapes, and bruises that I have all over my legs, and my hands, today I think I pulled a muscle in my right leg on the inside.

Are there common mistakes for the tailwhip? Maybe there is something common that i am doing, that if I do differently, I can get the tailwhip down. I have come far on the tailwhip so instead of me asking what I should learn first, I am going to ask, what should my next trick be?

I posted this as an introduction of myself and my experience in BMX, some reading material for some of you :lol: and to get a question answered with alittle help also maybe.

D

DeeZNutS

Hello and Tailwhip post #2
ok,...

are you flatground tail whipping,....dirt jump tailwhipping?

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #3
Flatground, I don't have anywhere to jump at the moment :?

Which is easier?

E

EasternBMX

Hello and Tailwhip post #4
Dude he said balancing on his tire
Flat land tailwhips are easier than in the air
It just takes practice to get the balance down

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #5
Yea that's right, I did say on my tire :)
Anyone have suggestions on my second trick to learn?

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #6
You have to make sure you swing the bike so it get momentum.....AND REMEMBER TO GIVE IT ALITTLE KICK.....its impotant.......And let go of the brakes as soon as the bike is below you. This trick took me about 2 weeks to learn. I bike around 3-4 hours daily. And A second good trick is a.....fork wheelie but keep noth tires down and learn to balance.....this trick took me about 5 days. You can get a how to at http://www.bmxstunts.com/quicktime/t1htm/endo.htm

Hope I helped

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #7
I checked out what it said, so let me see if I can translate it easier and ask if I got this correct? I am checking becuase it is alittle confusing there.

Fork Wheelie
You start by rolling
Put your right foot on the back left peg
Put your left foot on the front left peg?
Do you use brakes here?
Kick the frame around with your right leg, in the back - like a tailwhip
Bring the foot you had back there to the front right peg, or to scuff?
Then just kick the wheel (scuff) untill you want to come back

To come back you pull back on the bike
Basically swing the frame back around?

I don't know if this is quite correct so just telling me how to fix what I don't know here would be great, and your helping out alot! Thank you.

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #8
K heres how I do it

1.Put left foot on left peddle
2.Put right foot on front peg
3.Hold all brake on but not to tight
4.Swing to front catch balance and let go of brakes (Takes practice)
5.Kick tire with left leg and balance also with left leg
6.Landing.....hmmmm how do you do that?

Ya i cant land em but Im trying.

PRACTISE THIS ALOT its important to learn to balance to learn more advanced trix

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #9
Swing the frame or do you jump around, still alittle confused, which peg does the right foot go on?

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #10
Right foot goes on right front peg and YOU swing to the front of the bike watch the vid like 10 times BUT DONT LIFT THE SEAT LIKE HIM KEEP BOTH HANDS ON HANDLE BARS till you are comfortable with the trick. And a Steam Roller is also a good trick to learn I am trying it now.

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #11
PS. Learn the tailwhip first or atleast land it 3 times before moving on. :bmx_rulez:

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #12
Ok, I will try to load the video, I am on 56k so it isn't a great experience trying to watch them =/ unless there was a spot to download it. If I could download it... it would be better. It just isn't great with the load and play stuff. It starts to skip and such. So if you swing your body around, would it not be easier to have both feet on the same side? Just a thought

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #13
You do have both feet on the same side
BOTH feet are on right side
LEFT foot on RIGHT PEDDLE
RIGHT foot on RIGHT FRONT PEG
And SWing

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #14
I think you said left foot on left peddal first time :p

415fsxrules

Hello and Tailwhip post #15
its doesnt matter, it is which way u feel comfortable

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #16
Yea I noticed, so I think im gonna be doing it from the left side, mainly because during my time trying the tailwhip, it is all from the left, throwing the bike around the right side.

T

The Worst

Hello and Tailwhip post #17
Ya thatll work but I do everything on the right sorry for confusing you :?

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #18
No thats fine, but you did say

Left foot on left pedal :)

415fsxrules

Hello and Tailwhip post #19
It's werid i do everything flatland left side but i grind on my right side :?

C

Colorblinded

Hello and Tailwhip post #20
Could you explain the basics - the advanced parts of grinding, and what I need to look for in town to grind on for beginning, I want to start being able to grind. Could you help? Today I found a little cement wall thing that was painted white, looked like this sorta.

/

I cant get the right angle, but the angle is the road going up and it end up going out level with the ground almost, i just rode out and my right pegs kinda grinded as i rode over it, which isnt grinding.

New Topics