Headsets

• Discuss Headsets in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ive currently got a primo gorrila headset, im after a new one. preferably cheaper cause im broke at the moment lol. any suggestions? also, will... ...
  • Tags bike mountain bike
K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #1
Ive currently got a primo gorrila headset, im after a new one. preferably cheaper cause im broke at the moment lol. any suggestions? also, will mountain bike headsets fit?

thanks

F

federal_rider12

Headsets post #3
anything that is 1 1/8 will fit but not integrated 1 1/8 but check out FSA but it depends on how much you want to spend and if you want sealed or unsealed or if that even matters

also if you only need a new bottom cup i know danscomp has the FSA lower cup sealed for $13

I

infantry43RIDER

Headsets post #4
S O L I D

i don't know about the moutain bikes though.

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #5
ok, so i make sure its 1 1/8. im in the UK guys :)

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #6
if its 1 1/8 it will fit any bike, bmx maountain bike whatever. as long as the head tube is 1 1/8 offcourse. however if it is threaded or an internal headset type it will not.

if you want a cheap headset you cannot go wrong with a fsa pig, or a pig sealed if you have a bit more cash. the unsealed cost about £15 from custom riders http://www.customriders.com/new_home.asp

T

Trimix

Headsets post #7
kam_holmes said:
Ive currently got a primo gorrila headset, im after a new one. preferably cheaper cause im broke at the moment lol. any suggestions? also, will mountain bike headsets fit?

thanks
Yea, solid.....LOVE mine

D

Devourment 138

Headsets post #9
kam_holmes said:

thanks
well Solid is not cheap...FSA is

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #10
yeah, he did say he wanted something cheap, the soild probably is the best headset around, but it aint cheap.

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #11
i definatly want a sealed headset. also, how do i remove one?

X

XIII

Headsets post #12
kam_holmes said:
i definatly want a sealed headset. also, how do i remove one?
I hear that Sealed headsets arent quite as strong as unsealed... but sealed would be much smoother... the solid has "Precision Needle" bearings... not quite sure exactly what they are but I ALWAYS hear good things about the Solid Headset.

to get your headset off... tou will need to take off your stem, then take off your forks... you may need to hit the fork on the top to it them out. the npull out all teh bearings, spacers and the rest of the jizzy guts. then take a mini sledge hammer and a big iron chizzle and hit the inside of the cups hard and they will pop out... I reccomend taking the new headset to a bike shop to be put in... unless you have a cup press or have expierence... the cups fit really tight and need to be pushed in exactly strait in.

F

federal_rider12

Headsets post #13
think of a cylinder, not round, thats a needle bearing, but sealed headsets are much better i completely smashed the bottom cup bearings on my fs pig unsealed, also bent my steerer tube, and now i have a sealed pig and it is much better but if you dont set it up right it wont spin because of the top bearing being smashed down by the stem, so you have to get everything tight to where spacers/shield on headset dont move and the headset spins great then tighten the stem as hard as possible then tighten the compression bolt on the fork but dont torque the thing just get it tight

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #14
i cant get the forks out of the headset! stuck in, but i think they might be locked in somehow. there is a dodgy bit on the top, ive got a picture but no way of showing it. ive got pitchforks. ive beat the shit out of them and they wont come out lol.

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #15
the top cup looks like this one, kinda..

F

federal_rider12

Headsets post #16
thats easy tap the top of the fork till it comes loose or just falls out it will not take force itll just take a tap and itll slide right out

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #17
no, the forks wont come out, ive hit them with a hammer. lots & still wont come out

T

Trimix

Headsets post #18
Your forks won't drop out probably because the top lock ring is still in place....this might be that "dodgy bit" at the top you speak of. Seriously, if everythings is off the top, the forks will FALL out. At the top you have a ring that is tight around the steer tube (top of fork's tube) you probably need to still take that off (small allen wrench)

K

kam_holmes

Headsets post #20
ah yes that is there, ill give it a try thanks.

New Topics