Headsets

• Discuss Headsets in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; An area which I aint too good with, I havent really looked at many Headsets or prices really so any chance you could recommend a few nice and strong... ...
N

NiNo

Headsets post #1
An area which I aint too good with, I havent really looked at many Headsets or prices really so any chance you could recommend a few nice and strong headsets and their prices too?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #3
well basically you can get unsealed heeadsets or sealed headsets. if you want top of the line stuff, then check out the solid bikes needle bearing headset - probably the best freestyle headset around.

if you want to be "cool" and spend a whole load of cash you could get a chris king no thread set - many pro's use them, but i think they are over priced for what you get. solid are much better.

i run a fsa sky pilot, and it rules, sealed cartridge bearings on the top cup, the top cup is machined from 7005 aluminium. the bottom cup is forged from heat treated 4130 cro-mo and uses sealed needle bearings. it has a grease port hole so you do not have to dismanttle it to service it. very strong and super good.

a very good all round headset is a fsa pig dh - it is sealed and is made from good quality materials like the sky pilot. very good strong and well priced, it would probably say that that is the best choice overall

if you want a loose ball bearing headset you should go for a fsa pig, it has really big bearings which last for a very long time and are strong. plus its is quite cheap. probably the best choice for a loose bearing headset.

conclusion = if you want to spend a resonable amount of cash get a solid or a fsa sky pilot. if you dont want to spend too much but still want a good quality headset go for the fsa pig dh. if you dont have to much cash to spend get the fsa pig.

F

federal_rider12

Headsets post #4
well for me im only stickin with fsa and i had(but still have on my old frame) pig unsealed it was very good until my horrible crash where i flipped over my bars i broke the bottom bearings and casin so now i got a fsa pig sealed and it is much better but if u put the stem down on it too tight it wont spin good and get stuck but if u do everythin right it will be the last one ull ever need and it cost $40 american

X

XIII

Headsets post #5
SOLID...the only way to go

L

LuMpY

Headsets post #7
Chris King Steelset. :rock:

L

LuMpY

Headsets post #9
Does the solid one go into the head tube 1" on top and bottom?

I

infantry43RIDER

Headsets post #10
on my frame its close to an inch.

P

Pyro insaine

Headsets post #11
FSA PIG sealed

RuLe

RuLe

Headsets post #12
Pyro insaine said:
FSA PIG sealed

i was gonna buy it and it isnt alot but i dont think i need one unless if i take off my gyro my forks will stick out to high and i need a new headset

L

LuMpY

Headsets post #13
You don't need a new hedset if your steerer tube sticks out past the stem. You need to add spacers or cut the steerer tube down.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #14
hey lumpy, no the solid will not go into a 1 inch head tube, solid only makes them for 1 1/8th headtubes, but NOBODY uses one inch head tubes anymore, so check your bike, or ask at you local bike shop whether you have a one inch or a 1 1/8th headtube. or just tell us what frame you have and we will be able to tell you what size head tube you have if you are unsure.

L

LuMpY

Headsets post #15
Not a 1" headset. I was asking if the headset goes 1" into the headtube(the steelset does). Not going into a 1" head tube. You're wrong too about the 1" headset too. I don't know how many are out there but my old Hoffman Taj had a 1" threaded/threadless setup. so blah.

K

kater

Headsets post #16
Chris King or FSA Pig DH or FSA Skypilot (all sealed).

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #17
hehehe note how you said "OLD" taj hoffman, my point proven. so blaaaa

P

Pyro insaine

Headsets post #18
Mr_Shrapnel said:
well basically you can get unsealed heeadsets or sealed headsets. if you want top of the line stuff, then check out the solid bikes needle bearing headset - probably the best freestyle headset around.

if you want to be "cool" and spend a whole load of cash you could get a chris king no thread set - many pro's use them, but i think they are over priced for what you get. solid are much better.

i run a fsa sky pilot, and it rules, sealed cartridge bearings on the top cup, the top cup is machined from 7005 aluminium. the bottom cup is forged from heat treated 4130 cro-mo and uses sealed needle bearings. it has a grease port hole so you do not have to dismanttle it to service it. very strong and super good.

instead of writing so much why arnt u out riding, spending less time on ur ass, more time on ur bike
a very good all round headset is a fsa pig dh - it is sealed and is made from good quality materials like the sky pilot. very good strong and well priced, it would probably say that that is the best choice overall

if you want a loose ball bearing headset you should go for a fsa pig, it has really big bearings which last for a very long time and are strong. plus its is quite cheap. probably the best choice for a loose bearing headset.

conclusion = if you want to spend a resonable amount of cash get a solid or a fsa sky pilot. if you dont want to spend too much but still want a good quality headset go for the fsa pig dh. if you dont have to much cash to spend get the fsa pig.
why do u spend so much time writing ?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Headsets post #19
dont worry be happy now.

I

infantry43RIDER

Headsets post #20
haha.

New Topics