Headset will NOT stay tight

• Discuss Headset will NOT stay tight in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; this is really frustrating me since I've spent the last 2 hours putting my headset together and taking it apart again several times. this is the order... ...
spotty

spotty

Headset will NOT stay tight post #1
this is really frustrating me since I've spent the last 2 hours putting my headset together and taking it apart again several times. this is the order I'm installing the parts in:
-bottom bearing race
-dust seal
-bottom bearings
-top bearings
-top bearing race
-compression ring
-spacers
-gyro tab
-spacer
-compression cap

that's all the parts it had when i took it apart the first time, and yet it won't stay tight. I made the compression cap fingertight and there was still play in the headset, so I tightened it a little more until the bars would barely spin. still the fork moves back and forth in the cups.

B0N0

B0N0

Headset will NOT stay tight post #2
maybe your bearings are worn out ?

spotty

spotty

Headset will NOT stay tight post #3
maybe, they are kinda odd-shaped and a little bent
would that make it get loose?
thing is, I just bought this bike new from a shop and then took it apart to paint it. everything else is ok except I can't get the headset back together

spotty

spotty

Headset will NOT stay tight post #4
meh, it's alright now... i took a slim spacer from underneath the gyro plate and put it under the compression nut instead

T

troy

Headset will NOT stay tight post #5
Make sure you tighten the compression cap BEFORE you tighten the back stem bolts. So that you can spin the bars without the fork moving.

F

fitaitken1

Headset will NOT stay tight post #6
Its your baerings Or you dnt have enough spacer .

Last edited:
C

Capo617

Headset will NOT stay tight post #7
Not sure if you solved the problem yet but sounds like you just need to mess around with the compression bolt and the pinch bolts on the stem. Takes a few tries to get it right, I have the same problem with play in my headset every now and then.

A

applejak26

Headset will NOT stay tight post #8
Make sure you tighten the compression cap BEFORE you tighten the back stem bolts. So that you can spin the bars without the fork moving.
aaaah. thanks

Siciro

Siciro

Headset will NOT stay tight post #9
This will help me reassemble my headset thanks!

I had the opposite problem on my bike. I could NOT get the headset apart. I got to the point of loading my frame in my car when the second the forks hit the trunk they almost fell out as the headset loosened.

harorider4

harorider4

Headset will NOT stay tight post #10
dont sit on your bike when you tighten it either, tends to throw your forks out of alignment a little and screws things up

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

Headset will NOT stay tight post #11
8 month old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

New Topics