headset bearings blowing

• Discuss headset bearings blowing in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Since june I have blown out the top headset bearing twice! The first headset was a sealed headset, not sure of the brand, and the second headset... ...
L

lukassz

headset bearings blowing post #1
Since june I have blown out the top headset bearing twice! The first headset was a sealed headset, not sure of the brand, and the second headset, which I have only had for a month is a kink. Not that it really matters, integrated headset, ody director forks, elementary stem, everything is well maintained and checked to be tight everytime I ride. I am about 220 and ride pretty hard, is this something that I can expect or...as several people already suggested to me, will an FSA headset fix my problem??

C1in7

C1in7

headset bearings blowing post #2
FSA impact should help you out, im about 220 as well and i take some pretty hard hits, its holding up great.
Be sure to grease your bearings too

wickyman

wickyman

headset bearings blowing post #3
Try not to tighten it too tight. The vertical pressure will cause them to blow out. Imagine it as if it's a set of cranks. If you didn't have the spacer to take the pressure off the outter bearing walls, they would be crushed, and blow out! You don't have that sleeve to keep the bearings from blowing, and thus you need less pressure on the bearings to make them work properly! :D

johnuk

johnuk

headset bearings blowing post #4
Try not to tighten it too tight. The vertical pressure will cause them to blow out. Imagine it as if it's a set of cranks. If you didn't have the spacer to take the pressure off the outter bearing walls, they would be crushed, and blow out! You don't have that sleeve to keep the bearings from blowing, and thus you need less pressure on the bearings to make them work properly! :D
Agree

Not only that, but if you're doing a bolt up with a big key or wrench, you can put a massive amount of load on it if you go all out with your muscles

You just need to do it up until it starts to tighten, then add another half turn or so - don't go as tight as you can, it will wreck the bearing.

You can also tell if the headset is too tight by checking the front wheel. While it's still kind of only just tight enough to hold things together, pick up your bike holding the frame near the head tube so you have the front wheel off the floor. Use a finger to turn the bars left and right. They'll slide, slip and fall left and right really easily. When you've done your headset up really tight, they might still turn without a whole lot of effort, but you'll probably be able to feel a kind of bumpy, gritty sensation as they do - or they won't slide quite so quickly. That means the headset is too tight. You want it tight enough to hold things together, but not so tight that the bars don't slide from side to side with no effort at all - they should easily fall from side to side just by tilting the bike with the front wheel off the floor.

Last edited:
Pickles

Pickles

headset bearings blowing post #5
You just need to do it up until it starts to tighten, then add another half turn or so - don't go as tight as you can, it will wreck the bearing.

You can also tell if the headset is too tight by checking the front wheel. While it's still kind of only just tight enough to hold things together, pick up your bike holding the frame near the head tube so you have the front wheel off the floor. Use a finger to turn the bars left and right. They'll slide, slip and fall left and right really easily. When you've done your headset up really tight, they might still turn without a whole lot of effort, but you'll probably be able to feel a kind of bumpy, gritty sensation as they do - or they won't slide quite so quickly. That means the headset is too tight. You want it tight enough to hold things together, but not so tight that the bars don't slide from side to side with no effort at all - they should easily fall from side to side just by tilting the bike with the front wheel off the floor.
been working in a shop for almost a year now. I hate dealing with headsets,but I do it.

basically: tighten the headset so the bars can move freely,but wont wobble

add 1/8 of a turn

tighten the pinch bolts,or in your case the wedge.

now tighten the compression bolt/cap pretty tight. there is no rating,but I do them up pretty tight in the shop. if you want to know why,you can ask, if you dont care why, then dont bother asking,it takes a little bit to explain,dont want to. either way,just do it, youre supposed to

if that blows the FSA,which has lasted me about a year, then you should check your headtube for ovalization. actually,check it first...but if you dont find anything,try the fsa.

L

lukassz

headset bearings blowing post #6
So yeah I have always tightened the compression cap so tight that the bars didn't spin freely at all, then I proceeded to loosen it an 1/8 of a turn or so, just enough for the bars to spin freely. This sounds like my problem. With that said, is the FSA that much better than the kink. I can pick up the kink at the local bike shop but the FSA has to be ordered. The FSA that much better???

New Topics