head set problems

• Discuss head set problems in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey, my 10m head set is really nackin me off cus i tighten it enough so it doesnt wobble but the its solid and doesnt turn, so i loosen it so that... ...
B

Bmx-boy

head set problems post #1
Hey,
my 10m head set is really nackin me off cus i tighten it enough so it doesnt wobble but the its solid and doesnt turn, so i loosen it so that the wheel turns but then the head set wobbles!! wat can i do??ive dround my bearings in greese and wd40 but has no effect. thanks
nick

F

federal_rider12

head set problems post #2
what 10mm? ok i have no clue about 10mm headsets thats only 3/8" that isnt no headset. so tell me is the fork and stem 1 1/8" threadless or 1" threaded?

the only thing i can say right now is dont use wd40 in a headset, you must use grease.

T

Trimix

head set problems post #3
Regardless of size or measurement system used, it *sounds* like you are tightening the headset bolt down too tight. Remember that the NECK being clamped to the steertube (top of forks) is what holds the bars to the forks......that top bolt just "pulls" it all together. What I do, is to set the fork steertube, associated bearings, spacers, etc.....and neck all together, tighten the top bolt until it JUST is tight, doesn't slop around, but still spins freely.

THEN....clamp your NECK to the steertube HARD.....and don't mess with it.

Good explanation? Bad one?

F

federal_rider12

head set problems post #4
i do that too but for the compression bolt i dont tighten down a bunch because i have a fsa pig dh pro so if you tighten it down hard it will force the stem down(no matter how tight you tighen the stem on) and then it doesnt spin all that great and if left that way will crack the bearings and thats the reason why some guys hate fsa pig dh pro because they dont know how to install it(the guy at the bike shop i go to didnt even get it right since i let him install my new stem while i looked at tires. normally i wont do that but i was in a hurry to leave). i just snug it down to where it wont move and come loose but isnt super tight

B

Bmx-boy

head set problems post #5
cheers guys, by the way it is a threaded fork. cheers

F

federal_rider12

head set problems post #6
well then you should have a nut(some call it lock nut) on top of another nut(in which i call the bearing race since it seats in the bearings to keep everything straight). now you need to adjust the bearing race nut till its snug but lets the bearings spin freely. once you have that tighten the lock nut on top of that while holding the bearing race nut so it doesnt move. make sure the lock nut is very tight against the bearing race nut or itll come loose. now if the bearing race nut does move and the bearings arent moving freely, sometimes you can use channel locks(hold the fork legs) and loosen the bearing race nut and it might just move enough to let everything spin freely and not be sloppy. now if that dont work then you have to go back and try again till everything is tight but bearings move with ease.

New Topics