GYRO?

• Discuss GYRO? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hi i'm quite new to BMX so please forgive me for my ignorance. My friend was chatting to me about his BMX and he was telling me about how good it is to... ...
  • Tags bmx
B

billy_dupee

GYRO? post #1
Hi i'm quite new to BMX so please forgive me for my ignorance. My friend was chatting to me about his BMX and he was telling me about how good it is to remove the gyro. What is the gyro? And is there a guide to removing it?

Thanks

F

FOL

GYRO? post #2
The gyro is the part below your bar/stem and it is meant NOT to get your brake cables tangled. Some claim that gyro's break or have less braking power. But I haven't experienced it and neither has my local bmx shop, who rides over 20 years already. IT saves you some weigth taking it off though, oh well, you won't notice it anyway. Wonder this:

Are you doing flatland? Leave it on!
Do you want to do barspins often or more than 180/360? If so, leave the gyro on. If not: Do you want to do tailwhips often? If neither, then you might consider taking it off as you don't turn your frame around your front part often and you don't really need it.

the gyro
http://www.xoutfitters.com/bmx/detangler/odyssey_g3.jpg

Clutch

Clutch

GYRO? post #3
I agree, depends on what you are doing, or wanting to do... If you already have one and it's working alright I don't see any need to get rid of it(If it's not broke don't fix it). I really think that people just do things because it's cool, as someone who's just starting I would say ride and find your own comfort zone.

As for running a straight cable, depending on how good your gyro is you wont see much of a difference in braking power. Obviously you'll have more braking power with a straight cable, but whether or not it's a noticable difference is another story.

New Topics