Grip Removal

• Discuss Grip Removal in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I know there was a topic on this before, but I couldn't find it. What is the best way to remove grips? I want them to come off clean, so they can be... ...
A

afroboy360

Grip Removal post #1
I know there was a topic on this before, but I couldn't find it. What is the best way to remove grips? I want them to come off clean, so they can be reattached. Is it better to use suction or glue to reattach grips? Thanks.

R

rocket

Grip Removal post #2
afroboy360 said:
I know there was a topic on this before, but I couldn't find it. What is the best way to remove grips? I want them to come off clean, so they can be reattached. Is it better to use suction or glue to reattach grips? Thanks.
this has worked for me for years: to remove, i use a long skinny flat-head screwdriver and slide it in nice and deep...once you stick it in, move it from front to back while spraying wd-40, water, or hair spray in grip...(not a female :wink: ) use your other hand to twist it loose while pulling it off.
to put back on: lay bike on its side...use hair spray, or a very light film of wd-40 inside the grip and slide it on, use massive force woking it into place. if you use to much lube and grip slides on really easy, then take it off, let it dry a little then put it back on. the harder you make it to put grip on, will help decrease the chances of grip slipping when riding.

F

federal_rider12

Grip Removal post #3
yeah thats exactly what i do but be careful with the screwdriver move it back and forth and when its as deep as possible lift it up and spray in the wd-40 or silicone or whatever and move the screwdriver all the way around the grip so the liquid gets on the entire grip and slide off then wipe it clean and do what icerocket said and put hairspray in the grip and on the bars let set for a little while and itll be ready to go in like an hour unless hairspray dries quicker

S

sandmriderbmx

Grip Removal post #4
i do the same thing, just never with hair spray i always use wd 40

F

federal_rider12

Grip Removal post #5
we use hair spray to hold the grips on not to remove them

M

madbull

Grip Removal post #6
well i don't know how to take them of but if you wonna put them back on the bars, do gas, fuel, trough your grips them put them bach on the bars and let it dry
it's reamy weard but they won't comme loose anymore

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Grip Removal post #7
peel one end back and rub a bit of water on the bar, then pull the other end back, and rub some water on that part of the bar. then keep on moving the grip around (rotating/pulling it), add a bit more water if you need it, but it should come off on acouple of seconds, it never fails with me.

New Topics