--GRINDS AND STALLS--

I

infantry43RIDER

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #1
ok this is a pretty big section...i was going to include uh coping stuff too...but it would have been 2 times the size...and what i mean by coping stuff would be like fufanu's and abubacas and tiretaps and stuff mostly done on quarter pipes...you know you know.
but yea this is the grind and stall stuff so yup...

FEEBLE
stall and grind...front tire rolling on whatever you are grinding and the rear peg sliding along...this is basically the easiest grind slash stall ever but it looks cool and it is fun.
= grind...go at an angle towards what you are grinding on...bunnyhop high enough to get the rear peg on..smoothly have the tire roll on the top...hop off
stall...go towards the grind spot...hop and twist 90 degrees and land in feeble position...hop off =

DOUBLE PEG (50-50)
stall and grind...as the name states morons you have two pegs on the grind surface...easy.
= grind...all you have to do is bunnyhop high enough to get thos pegs on...keep your balance and hop off.
stall...ride towards the grind spot...hop and twist 90 degrees just like you are feeble stalling but when you get 90 degrees turn a little more to place the front peg on instead of the wheel...hop off =

SMITH
stall and grind...this one tends to be a bit more difficult for some riders...it is the opposite of a feeble...front peg is sliding on the surface while the rear tire rolls along on top.
= bunnyhop onto the grind spot as if you want to actually hop on the entire thing...so come at an angle and hop...make sure you align your front peg so that it will ride on the coping...at the same time you have to swing the rear up so its rolling along on top...either get the back on first or front and back at the same time =

ICE PICK
grind or stall...im pretty sure that you all know what and ice pick is...whether it be the stall or the grind...back peg is grinding while the entire front end is in the air...its an amazingly fun trick.
= grind...come at an angle...pull up a little harder than normal when you hop and throw that rear peg on...your need some speed...slide or hop off
stall...ride towards whatever...again lift up a little higher in the front when you hop...twist 90 degrees and put more weight to the rear as your peg hits and hop off =

TOOTHPICK
grind or stall...prolly the hardest of the "normal" grinds i would say...toothpick grinds are not seen as much now a days as the stalls are but who cares...but both are equally fun to do...toothpick would be the opposite of the icepick...front peg would be on and the entire rear is in the air.
= you basically just have to hop up and push your front peg on to the grind surface...at the same time you need to lift up on the rear and have it hand off to the side a bit.
stall...ride up to the spot...you don't have to turn the entire bike the whole 90 degrees...just set the front peg on the surface keeping the rear in the air and to the side a bit =

SPROCKET
bash and grind...sprocket grinding and bashing are fairly easy to get into..but a little bit more difficult to get out of...sprocket grind is letting your front tire roll along while the sprocket grinds and the rear hangs down a bit...either that or just the sprocket and no tire rolling (sideways)...the bash however is stalling the sprocket onto the grind surface...perpendicular.
= grind...come at an angle to whatever it is you are riding...bunnyhop up and just let your front tire and sprocket hit and grind away...looks like a missed feeble.
stall...ride up straight on...hop up keeping weight in the rear and land on the grind surface on your sprocket...perpendicular with the surface...make sure that you land right under the sprocket...behind it...pull up and hop off fakie or hop and 270 out. =

PEDAL
stalls and grinds...yes there are multiple pedal grinds and stalls...if you can't guess what pedal tricks are then you should stab yourself continuously...
1. one way to pedal grind is letting your front wheel roll along the top while the pedal grinds and everything else just hangs below
2. another way is having just eh pedal grinding and holding the bike up...but both wheels hang down below
3. this third way is mostly for rails...front end is on one side of the rail while the rear is on the other (and no this is not a crooked smarties)...pedal grinding the rail
= the concept is pretty much the same for these different pedal variations...come at and angle and hop up...either put your front wheel up or don't...make sure there is some pressure on yoru pedal to help hold the bike...slid or hop off =

DOWNSIDE DOUBLE PEG AND ICEPICK
these grinds slash bonks are super exciting to watch and quite fun to do...downside grinds are quite difficult however to do...they take full on concentration and practice...a downside icepick bonk is seen a lot now a days and mostly done on quarters where the rear peg hits below the coping not on it...the rear wheel kind of slides over the top of the coping...as for the double peg downside grind its just both pegs below the coping and the front and rear wheels sliding across the top...the pegs would be pretty much perpendicular to the quarter
= icepick...get some speed and ride up the quarter or embankment to ledge or rail or whatever...sort of boost a little bit off the quarter and turn 90 degrees and bonk the rear peg on the downside of the coping...keep your head focused on the quarter and then IN to the quarter...slide off and ride down the ramp.
double peg...pretty much the same as the icpick bu you wanna come at an angle more...bosst up a little off the quarter or whatever and get the pegs on the downside of the coping and slide off. =

CROOKED
getting tech...oh yea...derived from skateboarding...most riders that do crooked grinds ride 4 pegs...its not a must but of course it makes it much more easy to accomplish...crooked...the bike is crooked as you might have guessed, on the rail...yea this is pretty much a rail only trick...the front end is on one side of the rail while the rear is on the other...so left front peg is grinding lets say, then the right rear peg is grinding too on the opposite side of course and the sprocket is right on top of the rail...get it fools?
= approach the rail at an angle...hop as if you want to clear the entire rail...make sure the gront end is over or going to get over the rail...focus on bringing the rear up to get the peg on...at this same time you need to either slide the opposite front peg on over the rail or just hold up the bike (this being with only 2 pegs not 4)...and slide off. =

LUC-E (LUCKY)
this grind was made up by the former standard team rider luc englebert...the luc-e (lucky) grind is not seen all that much but a few riders make us of this unique trick...the rear peg is grinding along and the front end is dropped completely below the coping...the pedal is sometimes used as support if the front end dips to much...this grind really takes balance as you could possibly imagine.
= boost up onto the quarter coping or hop onto a ledge almost like a double peg...before you would get the front peg on however you just need to let it drop below the coping and grind on your rear peg and pedal if needed...slide off. =

CRANK ARM
the crank arm slide is quite difficult...it is mostly done out of a feeble and not directly because its a little easier if you start in a feeble and just turn...as the name states the crank arm is grinding along and its almost like a boardslide on a skateboard...mostly done on rails.
= from a feeble...so you are feebling down a rail...if you are a right side grinder you will turn to the right which might seem weird for some of you...you just want to slide your rear peg and front wheel off and land on the crank arm...need a lot of balance...slide off.
directly...more difficult...you need to hop fairly high for this one...well hight enough to turn the bike and yourself perpendicular to the rail and the bike needs to be even...land on the crank arm and again keep real nice balance and slide away. =

RODEO
ruben's grind...similiar looking to the 3rd type of pedal grind listed above and also it looks like the crank arm slide in a way...it is really only done on ledges and can be done from a feeble or directly...from a feeble it isn't real hard at all...the bike is perpendicular with the ledge and the rear is hanging over...now the body is not with the bike...you are still straight parallel with the ledge...one hand is on the bars and the other one is in the air (cowboy) and one leg is on the rear tire.
= feeble...so you are in feeble position on a ledge...take one foot off (right side = left foot, left = right foot) and start pulling on the bars (right side = to the right)...as the bike starts going perpendicular take that foot and put it on the rear tire...the bike is sliding behind the sprocket
directly...pretty much the same as above...hop up to the ledge and hwile you are in the air pull on the bars and get the foot on the rear tire...land behind the sprocket and slide off. =

MAGIC CARPET
butchers grind...baically this is almost the opposite of the luc-e grind except the rear doesn't hang down...its like a toothpick except your pedal is grinding as well...the rear is floating above the grind surface like magic...get it...im done.
= hop up onto the grind surface pretty much like a toothpick...put the pedal down and put your weight to the front...lift up the rear end so it is sort of floating above whatever you are grinding on...slide off. =

LEVITATOR
im not really sure if butcher invented this one too but he uses it a lot...anyways its damn hard to learn...its really just a pdal grind (version 2) because that is all that is sliding along...the twist is though instead of letting the bike hand below the grind surface, it is levitating above it...the pedal is being pushed down and both wheels are either equal or above the pedal.
= don't even ask me. =

alright thats that for now...ill have the fuf and stuff done soon for coping and quarter type stuff...and air also later.

E

EPMD

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #2
Thats great 8O theres a lot of shit i never even knew about there

great job infantry

S

sentaafEQpovar

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #3
whats a grind called when its double pegging except the pegs are on different ledges.... ie, this one small cramped bench, i can get my front peg on top reclining part, and my back peg on the sitting part

I

infantry43RIDER

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #4
man you just made that up...good job...seriously sounds cool and i haven't ever seen that.

S

sentaafEQpovar

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #5
en doing those wherever possible for like 3 years, seriously i wouldve thunk like 5405780452 ppl have done them... but they are just not seemed as a special gind, just an akward doublepeg.... ill call it a El grind or sumthing? that grind makes me think of el's cuase u kinda do need an L shaped ledge to do it i remember in san francisco there was a nice one where it was a ledge with a rail on top close to the ledge so it rode perfectly

I

infantry43RIDER

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #6
call it whatever.
i mean i might be wrong but i seriously have never seen anyone do that before.

C

casperh

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #7
nice work men :p

F

FlawlessBMXr

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #8
yea man. nice post. enough detail to get down the grind/stall. nice work

F

federal_rider12

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #9
sentaafEQpovar said:
whats a grind called when its double pegging except the pegs are on different ledges.... ie, this one small cramped bench, i can get my front peg on top reclining part, and my back peg on the sitting part
ive heard people call it a smith since they dont have another name for it but i just call it a 50-50 split

S

sentaafEQpovar

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #10
oih, 50-50split sounds better fitting than an L, but i like L for sum reason

F

federal_rider12

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #11
whatever floats your boat(hehe funny)

C

casperh

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #12
NOT!

X

XIII

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #13
here is a good grinding question... I spin to the right (for like 180's and stuff), I ride with my left foor in front also, so which side would be most natural to grind on...right or left...I have been trying to grind on he right, but It seems awefully difficult to get on the box...I cant ride now because i have bno one to go th ethe skate park with (i dont lkike going by myself) and it's too cold ot go outside to try...

...but would it be easier (more natural) to gring on the left?

I

infantry43RIDER

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #14
you can't really ask us or anyone which is more natural...when i first started i knew right away i was a right side...you just feel it...

you seem like you would be a classic left side grinder...because you ride left foot foward and spin to the right...im am the opposite of you.

but then again there are riders like George Dossantos and Ryan Nyquist.
George rides left foot forward and grinds on the left side but spins to the left as well...and the same with Ryan.

you will know...but if you can't really figure it out you can just work on both sides...then you have an advantage so to speak over some people...me.

X

XIII

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #15
infantry43RIDER said:
you can't really ask us or anyone which is more natural...when i first started i knew right away i was a right side...you just feel it...

you seem like you would be a classic left side grinder...because you ride left foot foward and spin to the right...im am the opposite of you.

but then again there are riders like George Dossantos and Ryan Nyquist.
George rides left foot forward and grinds on the left side but spins to the left as well...and the same with Ryan.

you will know...but if you can't really figure it out you can just work on both sides...then you have an advantage so to speak over some people...me.
I had a feeling I would get a reply like that and it is very true. I feel like I can balance better on hte right side easier, but I have a really hard time getting on the ledges so I think it will be easier to learn to balance on the other side that to learn to spin the other way. thanks...i will practice left side grinding for a while and then decide which side i like better

F

federal_rider12

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #16
well for me i ride with my left foot forward and i spin to my right and i grind with my right side and i can control my grinds with my right foot since it is following my grind and not tryin to lead( i.e right foot is back so the crank arm slides along unlike if i try it with my right foot forward the crank arm would get me hung up and the crank would flip around)

T

Trimix

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #17
sentaafEQpovar said:
"bench grind?"

C

casperh

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #18
it is a double ledge grind 8O

S

Shane472

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #19
sentaafEQpovar said:
That's called a 60/40 grind.

You forgot another grind too. It's called a snaggletooth. It's like a crooked grind but instead of using your back peg you grind on the pedal, So it's your pedal and opposite front peg. Only person I've seen do one is Butcher.

P

primadonna

--GRINDS AND STALLS-- post #20
excellent thread :D

New Topics