Grease

• Discuss Grease in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Do u have 2 grease sealed crank bearings and if so where and how ? ...
  • Tags bike parts
P

Pyro insaine

Grease post #1
Do u have 2 grease sealed crank bearings and if so where and how ?

D

Devourment 138

Grease post #2
8O

F

federal_rider12

Grease post #3
uh yeah, u pop the rubber shield off and grease the bearings

RuLe

RuLe

Grease post #4
is that why mine makes a lot of noise when i pedal

?

B

bruisedbob

Grease post #5
probably. I have packed grease in my headset, cranks, freewheel, and hubs on a regular basis. Everything runs smooth and will if you give your bike routine maintenance.

RuLe

RuLe

Grease post #6
so are we talking oil, WD - 40 or what?

you say grease but is that just meaning oil or wd40?

F

federal_rider12

Grease post #7
oil is wd40 and those r oils not grease

oils run of and dry up with all the movin parts(since were not drivin cars that pump oil to prevent that) and even if u somehow get oil to stay in place it will dirty very quickly unlike grease grease will keep containmenats from comprisin movement nore will it where out fast like oil i think u better let a shop take care of ur bike

B

bruisedbob

Grease post #8
DO NOT use wd-40. It will say grease on the tube. Wd-40 does lubricate but can eat away at plastic and rubber parts over time. Use it to clean the part then wipe off and apply a good amount of grease. Grease will also repel water.

F

federal_rider12

Grease post #9
bruisedbob said:
DO NOT use wd-40. It will say grease on the tube. Wd-40 does lubricate but can eat away at plastic and rubber parts over time. Use it to clean the part then wipe off and apply a good amount of grease. Grease will also repel water.
yeah thats all i use teflon liquid wrench and spray my parts clean then grease the parts with u guessed it teflon grease i do that quite a bit and my friends hate that b/c im always takin my bike apart cleanin repairin and gettin it in great condition they think i never ride since my bike is always goin till those times i land hard and break somethin but most of my friends ride in rain leave their bike outside or just never clean out the movin parts but hey id rather break my bike down clean and grease it then put it back together bout 1 a month to keep parts goin instead of ridin a rust bucket that breaks every week do to poor maintaince, and they think they r just very hard on bikes :lol:

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Grease post #10
yeah, don't put wd 40 on bearings, its not a good idea, you should only use grease on bearings, you should not even really use it on chains (except for cleaning them), you should use oil like 3-in 1 for that, or white lightning.

wd-40 is actually a solution for water displacement hence the name. wd = water displacement. the number 40 is the number of tries it took the creator of wd-40 to get it right, eg he got the correct solution on his 40th try.....just a bit of useless information for you there.....

C

casperh

Grease post #11
i thought this was a subject about the movie grease

grease ligthning aha :p

S

sentaafEQpovar

Grease post #12
so its bad to spray your chain with wd-40?

i shoved all my bearings full of this sticky black brake disc grease goo... that good? and i always spray my chain with wd-40

E

EPMD

Grease post #13
Yeah i never knew WD-40 was bad to use on a chain or freewheel :?

but now i know

L

LuMpY

Grease post #14
WD-40 should only be used on cars and in homes imho. Buy some Pedros syn/park tool/phil wood grease for your bearings. 3 in 1(as chain lube) would be good for wet weather riding. Finishline dry w/teflon or white lighning is best for dry conditions. WD-40 is more of a solvent. the wd stands for water displacement.

D

Devourment 138

Grease post #15
Mr_Shrapnel said:
yeah, don't put wd 40 on bearings, its not a good idea, you should only use grease on bearings, you should not even really use it on chains (except for cleaning them), you should use oil like 3-in 1 for that, or white lightning.

wd-40 is actually a solution for water displacement hence the name. wd = water displacement. the number 40 is the number of tries it took the creator of wd-40 to get it right, eg he got the correct solution on his 40th try.....just a bit of useless information for you there.....
wow...

But over the years I have tried every type of grease that there is....Bel-Ray waterproof grease (blue) also known as marine grade. (for boat-trailer wheel bearings). has performed the best by far...I would imagine that if your gonna disassemble you're sealed bearing, do it with a razor very carefully, clean them throughly, and dont use to much grease.

D

Devourment 138

Grease post #16
and I would not overthink the wd-40 not being "good" for your chain theroy...the biggest enemy to your chain is rust, and I wd-40 combats that specifically, and about the only downfall to wd-40 as a lubricant is that it will attract dirt and debri, furthering the wear and tear...but i think they make Teflon lube that resists just that.

B

bruisedbob

Grease post #17
wd-40 does clean rust well, but always wipe it off and apply the appropriate lube. There's a teflon 3-1 type that I use on my chain and brakes, everything else gets wood grease.

F

federal_rider12

Grease post #18
wd-40 doesnt really remove rust it prevents it but i used it before with a rag or somethin to scrub a rusted part and it removed the rust but i found that carb and choke cleaner is the best for rust removal and another thing to clean ur movin parts is brake dust cleaner b/c u spray it and it blows and washes everythin off and instantly dries

RuLe

RuLe

Grease post #19
i dont have any grease to use and i never used WD-40 that much. i used it once on my haro backtrail x2 and i maybe use it once every 3 or 4months and no i dont spray it on my bike a lot. i barely just spin the tire and spray it for 1 sec total and wipe off all the stuff that runs and is just gonna fly off like water and get on the rims and other things and sit their for days and it drys like that and then dirt sticks to it

B

bruisedbob

Grease post #20
for wd-40 to remove rust it must be allowed to set in for a while. like a few hours.

New Topics