Going Cruiser

• Discuss Going Cruiser in the BMX Racing forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok, I started racing last year, and I am 25. When I went out to the track I knew I needed a new bike and I knew I would enjoy racing as my childhood... ...
W

Wood0209

Going Cruiser post #1
Ok, I started racing last year, and I am 25. When I went out to the track I knew I needed a new bike and I knew I would enjoy racing as my childhood was spent racing motocross and I loved it, so that is not an issue.

The seed has been planted this past season to get in on the cruiser class as I currently race 20" and did so because I liked the feel of the 20" on the track more so than the few times I borrowed a cruiser to try and because when I started racing last year there was no cruiser class, so I wanted to be sure if I spent big bucks on a new bike, I was going to race every week. But things change in a year, and our cruiser class has exploded from 0 riders to 5 and possibly 6 at the gate regularly whereas on my 20" there are very few riders in my age group so a class is typically 3 to 4 riders, sometimes 5.

The race bike market in this city is small, its so new there are very few used race bikes kicking around, let alone cruisers. The one shop that feeds the race market recently stopped dealing with DK, so my only choice is Redline and the 09 Redline Proline Pro Cruiser is $499 plus taxes (which comes to about $525).

After emails from one of the dad's who races cruisers, he suggested that he may buy a new 09 Free Agent Limo 24" as he is sponsored by KHS Bikes who owns Free Agent. He would sell me the bike for $535.

Are there any mail order sites (besides Dans Comp) that carries race cruisers so that I can shop around beyond two bikes?

N

notjoey

Going Cruiser post #2
j and r bikes are a really good company to go through

jrbicycles.com

they carry kuwahara, gt, intense just to name a few

W

Wood0209

Going Cruiser post #3
j and r bikes are a really good company to go through

jrbicycles.com

they carry kuwahara, gt, intense just to name a few
Thanks, I stumbled across them last night and found their prices to be good along with shipping to Canada more reasonable for a complete bike than that of Dan's Comp.

Most mail order sites I found were more for street and park, difficult to find race stuff.

wickyman

wickyman

Going Cruiser post #4
You could always kick around the idea, of building the bike you want. I prefer to do this because it gives you the chance to deal with only parts you want, and not have to change so many, later on... You know? Plus it gives you a sense of accomplishment, and a better feel for your bike. :D You can probably build a nice cruiser up, for about 300-500 bucks. Assuming you buy everything frugal. :D I like to buy used parts, that I know are pretty good, and anything necessary, new!

W

Wood0209

Going Cruiser post #5
You could always kick around the idea, of building the bike you want. I prefer to do this because it gives you the chance to deal with only parts you want, and not have to change so many, later on... You know? Plus it gives you a sense of accomplishment, and a better feel for your bike. :D You can probably build a nice cruiser up, for about 300-500 bucks. Assuming you buy everything frugal. :D I like to buy used parts, that I know are pretty good, and anything necessary, new!
The difficulty would be actually finding used parts either locally or online that were within Canada, because I would be paying extra shipping, duty, and taxes on anything imported into Canada.

I race for dun, not all that competative, so I have no issues buying a new bike that may not be top quality and then simply replacing parts when needed due to wear and tear or outright damage.

L8Braker

L8Braker

Going Cruiser post #6
I've been using J&R a lot for parts, never had any issues with those guys. I've seen a lot of Kuwahara's on the national scene this year so certianly would be worth a look.

wickyman

wickyman

Going Cruiser post #7
I think felt has a canadian outlet. Maybe see if you can't get a hold of one of those. They are about 450 US, so they can't be all that much more up there. The sector 24, is an excellent bike, and I can't wait to get mine! I'm waiting on a custom order for mine, so it should be soon. By custom order, I mean I am having it painted, ti parts all around, etc... The bike shop is taking care of all that. And still just under a grand! I definitely love the way the sector 24 sits, they look mean! :D Whatever you do, don't get an intense... The headsets on those things are horrible, and almost never line up! Out of the 10 I have had experience with, 1 was machined correctly! :D The head tube is one place you want to see somewhat decent machining! haha Really effin' weird if you ask me! They used to make some sweet bikes...

W

Wood0209

Going Cruiser post #8
I think felt has a canadian outlet. Maybe see if you can't get a hold of one of those. They are about 450 US, so they can't be all that much more up there.
The problem isn't so much in getting race bikes here in Canada in general, it is rather trying to find bikes in Ottawa, Ontario, the city where I live in. Very few bike shops deal with BMX bikes at all, only one in our city regularly carries bikes for BMX racing, and when we approach other shops to get them to carry even a small number of race bikes, they simply say it is not their main market and shrug us off.

So buying online is my only option, and Canada has a very limited choice when it comes to actual mail order websites that have BMX race bikes, in fact I have yet to find one that has complete bikes for racing. What I have had to do is locate and contact small bikes shops across Canada that have informative websites that allow me to see just exactly what they normally carry, and when contacting them I have to see if they would even ship a bike or if they just stick with their local customers.

Common sense in regards to price in the US and price in Canada would conclude that the bikes in Canada should be around the same price as the US counterparts simply due to exchange rate. The problem is that Canadian shops have to order from the US or other countries, they have huge shipping expenses, and then when the product crosses the border the stores must pay duty, taxes and brokerage fees. These are then calculated as if it were the cost of the bikes and then the markup. So a bike that sells from 300 to 400 in the US, goes for about 500 to 600 at our local bike shops.

I looked at the cost to buy a bike from a place such as Dan's Comp and did my own calculations, and sadly at most due to shipping, customs, brokerage fees, etc. I only end up saving $10 or so. The only way to avoid such charges is to make the trip down to the US myself, and then try to cross the border without declaring the bike.

biketillidie

biketillidie

Going Cruiser post #9
Wait for the new Ody cruisersss

N

notjoey

Going Cruiser post #10
that or find a shop close by and see what kind of prices you might have to shell out there.

W

Wood0209

Going Cruiser post #12
Thanks for that. It is amazing how many websites are not picked up when doing a search for them.

New Topics