Front brake problem

• Discuss Front brake problem in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I cant seem to get my front brakes to lock up very well some times they will stick and some times not at all. do i just need better pads or what? ...
T

twiztidbmxfreak1

Front brake problem post #1
I cant seem to get my front brakes to lock up very well
some times they will stick and some times not at all. do i just need better pads or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fed tom

Front brake problem post #2
Re: Front brake problem

new pads, clean/lube cable, dial in brake.

T

twiztidbmxfreak1

Front brake problem post #4
everything works just fine and i have a odyssey 7ka in chrome
its just they dont really grip even if i grab it good. its weird though
after my bike has been sitting inside for a bit in the a/c and i go out for a ride and its a bit warmer outside the brakes will grab
but most of the time they hardly work at all. I like having front brakes cuz its fun for me but if they dont work its pointless. seeing as how they havent been really working for me ive been thinking of changing forks and losing them but i went through all the trouble of putting those damn forks and brakes on there id hate to have to get ride of them.
i guess its ok cuz im wanting some Director forks anyway lol id really like something like odyssey flat land forks without brake mouths. i like the look of the tubed drop out but not the angle of the directors. anyone know the right forks?

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Front brake problem post #5
clean your pads, clean your rim, lube your cable, adjust everything (toe-in, spring tension, ect)

or buy some sticky pads.

S

screwglue

Front brake problem post #6
Hmmmm... I still think your breaks aren't dialed right. Like jwnolte said you might want to sand your pads.

When you mentioned about the air conditioning made the breaks better that sort of reminded me of how my shitty ass season skaggle grips only grip well when its really humid and hot outside.

johnuk

johnuk

Front brake problem post #7
You could try Kool Stop Salmon pads

I haven't used them yet but I do have some Kool Stops

People get hard for the salmon colour pads because the colour is from iron oxide in the rubber, which makes them insanely good at gripping I've been told - I think the guy who originally made them actually has a patent on the rubber content

Sheldon Brown has a big tribute section to them on his website. He knows just about everything that has been said about bicycles - ever. LINK

Last edited:
T

twiztidbmxfreak1

Front brake problem post #9
ive changed up the pads b4 and it didnt really help but i might try again and give them a sanding or something. i clean my whole bike often and i wipe down my rims alot trying to keep them clean and pretty and in good shape.

the ace of spade

the ace of spade

Front brake problem post #10
sounds like you need to take some time and get them dialed in

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

Front brake problem post #11
Maybe the cable houring is dirty / clogged bu dirt. Try cleaning it and lubing it first, and maybe change it.

Could you please describe precisely the problem : do they come back in their original position once you release the lever ??

New Topics