Freewheels

• Discuss Freewheels in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Do you need a Flip- Flop hub to run a 14 tooth freewheel or can you use a normal ell cheapo hub thats one side threaded ? Want to take my poverty 16... ...
  • Tags bike
P

Pyro insaine

Freewheels post #1
Do you need a Flip- Flop hub to run a 14 tooth freewheel or can you use a normal ell cheapo hub thats one side threaded ?

Want to take my poverty 16 tooth freewheel hub to a 14 tooth Freewheel

I

infantry43RIDER

Freewheels post #2
yes if you are going to run a 14t freewheel you will need a flip flop hub.

O

oibmxpunx

Freewheels post #3
but they make 15t freewheels that thred on to 16t sides of the hub so if ur going down to a 39t sprocket it will be closer to a 39-14 but 39-15 is lower but its still good i like that ratio i use to run it but now i use 29-11 wich equals out to be the same ratio

Based on the classic Suntour freewheel with new features like 70% larger pawls, dust shieldsand splined removal system. 15T size threads onto standard 16T side of hub, eliminating the need for a flip/flop hub. 3/32".

http://www.danscomp.com/products/FREEWHEELS/461071.jpg

F

federal_rider12

Freewheels post #4
yes a 14t you need a flip flop but like oibmxpunx said AC makes a freewheel that is a 15t that can thread onto a standard hub but it is a 3/32 teeth size only

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Freewheels post #5
well, you dont technically need a "flip flop" hub to run a 14t freewheel. as long as your hub has a metric thread you can run a 14t freewheel. but if you are running a 16t freewheel, andhave no other thread on your hub, (eg on the other side....= flip flop) you cannot run a 14t freewheel.

16t = imperial
14t = metric

F

federal_rider12

Freewheels post #6
actually just because you have both sides of the hub threaded doesnt make it a flip flop, i had a hub that was threaded on both sides but couldnt run a 14t on the right side but the left side you can buy a acs southpaw and you can run a 14t then

by the way has anyone tried to run a double drive? you know do both left side drive and right side drive? im thinking of doing it as soon as i can get the southpaw 2 chainwheels a new crank(use my old crank for the operation and new on my bike) and a chain and ill put it all on my old redline

rawkabmx

rawkabmx

Freewheels post #7
federal_rider12 said:
by the way has anyone tried to run a double drive?
i cant see any particular advantage to this, if there are any enlighten me.

F

federal_rider12

Freewheels post #8
i dont know anything good that can come from it but its just a little thing i want to try and see what it is like i think it would be hard to pedal unless you run a small ratio

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Freewheels post #9
it will suck, nothing more, nothing less.

F

federal_rider12

Freewheels post #10
im not going to do it to my bike i actually ride but one of my old ones laying around im just curious to see what its like but its not like if i like it or works good im going to put it onto my riding bike its just an experiment and will be like a concept bike

New Topics