Folding Tires!!

• Discuss Folding Tires!! in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Are folding tires weaker than the average tire?? Do they get cut-up by glass shards on the ground easily? Are the different in any form or way? thanks! ...
D

dilmo

Folding Tires!! post #1
Are folding tires weaker than the average tire??
Do they get cut-up by glass shards on the ground easily?
Are the different in any form or way?
thanks!

R

Ride For Pain

Folding Tires!! post #2
My folding rubens seem weaker than my old steel beads, not sure if it's true but i get like 3 punctures a week from glass and thorns where as i had non before.

Probably just my tyres wearing out quicker seeing as i'm running a brake. They make up with it though seeing as there lighter and easier to take off with no tyre lever.

Valvecap

Valvecap

Folding Tires!! post #3
Some folding tyres still have "children diseases". Some tyres are a bit skinny-->weaker. I guess the new generation of folding tyres, the Odysseys, will be much better

fluorescent

fluorescent

Folding Tires!! post #4
My folding GLH is good, but tires like KHEs and the new fit tyres are thin and puncture really easily.

M

marks86

Folding Tires!! post #5
most folding tires dont last as long as normal tires. but are hella lighter. just make sure you dont get the KHE park and FIT FAF folding because both of those wear dont superwquick

J

johnny homeless

Folding Tires!! post #6
i've got a folding revenge tire on the front and a steel revenge tyre on the back - same tire, different beads. the front one has punctured nuff times and shards of glass and tile just seem to go straight through it. the back tire hasn't punctured yet. if there's a weight difference it isn't noticeable, so maybe folding tires are waste of money at the moment?

azman

azman

Folding Tires!! post #7
My folding rubens seem weaker than my old steel beads, not sure if it's true but i get like 3 punctures a week from glass and thorns where as i had non before.

Probably just my tyres wearing out quicker seeing as i'm running a brake. They make up with it though seeing as there lighter and easier to take off with no tyre lever.
your strange

A-J

A-J

Folding Tires!! post #8
nah dont bother with them, its not worth the hassel... anyways why buy a folding tire, when it gets un-folded and put on a bike? seriously whats the point?

Air-Ox

Air-Ox

Folding Tires!! post #9
nah dont bother with them, its not worth the hassel... anyways why buy a folding tire, when it gets un-folded and put on a bike? seriously whats the point?
They are lighter , easier to put on.

Levimoody

Levimoody

Folding Tires!! post #10
^ WEIGHT WHORE!!!

Ok i wouldn't get em cause they don't seem practical. I mean who needs to carry a tire that will fold up? and as for the easier to put on... if you cant take off and put on a normal tire maybe you need to grow up a tad?

Alarock

Alarock

Folding Tires!! post #11
i agree they cost alot, and i think it is a little too much to be ounce shaving that much

7 Broken Bottles

7 Broken Bottles

Folding Tires!! post #12
When it comes to your tires, less weight is a damn good thing. The lower the weight, the less rolling resistance there is so you'll be able to get going faster.

Ok i wouldn't get em cause they don't seem practical. I mean who needs to carry a tire that will fold up?
How do they not seem practical? They fold up so you can carry extra tires around in case something happens to one that makes unable to be ridden. People who ride in rough areas with a lot things that tear up tires need to carry extras.

and as for the easier to put on... if you cant take off and put on a normal tire maybe you need to grow up a tad?
What does being older(or were saying "grow up" as in get more muscle?) have to do with putting a tire on and taking one off? The simple fact is that it's easier to put them on which means you can get back to riding faster, and if it's easier to get on, it's generally easier to get them back off.

Sorry, I hope I didn't upset you by breaking up your post, there was just so much I wanted to comment on.

Folding tires are weaker than normal tires.

Levimoody

Levimoody

Folding Tires!! post #13
How do they not seem practical? They fold up so you can carry extra tires around in case something happens to one that makes unable to be ridden. People who ride in rough areas with a lot things that tear up tires need to carry extras.
I think it would be better to use a stronger tire...

7 Broken Bottles

7 Broken Bottles

Folding Tires!! post #14
Levimoody

Levimoody

Folding Tires!! post #15
^ But at a lower rate im sure. What would be smart is to have a normal tire on the bike and carry a folding tire in your bag or sumthin...

aDDikT

aDDikT

Folding Tires!! post #16
Been told that they're lighter, not sure by how much though.......... IMO the price difference really isn't worth it unless the weight difference is that noticeable and/or if your a weight whore :p

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Folding Tires!! post #17
When it comes to your tires, less weight is a damn good thing. The lower the weight, the less rolling resistance there is so you'll be able to get going faster.
rolling resistance? that would be such a small amount that it wouldn't even make a difference. serisously, it's like 5-10 ounces. just wear thinner jeans or a lighter t-shirt (or poop before you go out riding) and it would make more of a difference. it would make a difference with rotational mass, but that really only matters when you're racing.

Satay

Satay

Folding Tires!! post #18
Been told that they're lighter, not sure by how much though.......... IMO the price difference really isn't worth it unless the weight difference is that noticeable and/or if your a weight whore :p
the weight savings can be huge, if my friend switches from his 2.20 og dirtpaths to two khes, could save about a pound on EACH tire. thats rotational weight too

A-J

A-J

Folding Tires!! post #19
They are lighter , easier to put on.
and you get alot more punctures, tire explodes and rip alot easyer, and if you buy say a ruben 2.25 u dont even need levers for them either.
to me its seems way to much money to save a little wieght, and have to ride alot softer/carefuly

misterbryan

misterbryan

Folding Tires!! post #20
i have a ASM-R in the back and i tend to slid more than my friend who has a regular ASM in the back.

New Topics