Flatland and street bike?

• Discuss Flatland and street bike? in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i'm a beginnner, and was wondering what bike (not to expensive though) would be best for flatland and street biking? and what site is reliable to order... ...
  • Tags bike cranks flatland parts street street bike
K

kristopheer

Flatland and street bike? post #1
i'm a beginnner, and was wondering what bike (not to expensive though) would be best for flatland and street biking? and what site is reliable to order from in the US.

Clutch

Clutch

Flatland and street bike? post #2
Read the first post in this forum!!!

I order my parts from Danscomp... So far they have been pretty good, so I can't complain.

F

federal_rider12

Flatland and street bike? post #3
well you could do it with any bike but it wont feel right if you do flat on a street bike or street on a flat bike but you might get use to it, but if you build your own get the federal fraction flatland frame. lots of guys are riding that now and the geometry is good for both.

K

kristopheer

Flatland and street bike? post #4
federal_rider12 said:
well you could do it with any bike but it wont feel right if you do flat on a street bike or street on a flat bike but you might get use to it, but if you build your own get the federal fraction flatland frame. lots of guys are riding that now and the geometry is good for both.

can i get a complete list of what is needed for a bike, i plan on getting the federal fraction frame? (yes i'm a real ****ing newb to this)

F

federal_rider12

Flatland and street bike? post #5
crank
wheelset(dont look at rims and hubs seperately just get a factory wheelset)
fork( 1 1/8 inch, and if the front wheel has 3/8 inch axle make sure you get 3/8 inch drop out- same with 14mm axle make sure you get the right size)
bars
stem(1 1/8 inch)
headset(1 1/8 inch)
grips
pedals
chainwheel
seat
seat post(1 inch post, 25.4)
seat post clamp(1 1/8 inch)
tires
brake(U brake)
brake lever
gyro(1 1/8 inch)
pegs
freewheel(if you dont have a freecoaster or cassette)

now i cant remember now if the fraction has a american bottom bracket now or if it has a euro bottom bracket but you got to watch out for that too, also the drop out on the fraction i dont know if it is 3/8 inch or not. if it is you will probably have to get a custom wheelset

F

federal_rider12

Flatland and street bike? post #6
oh yeah need a chain to make it move too :wink: 1/8 inch will do it make sure chainwheel has 1/8in teeth too. now i probably missed more things to cover but im not paying attention

L

leon_luxton

Flatland and street bike? post #7
well some double wall rims would help so they dont mend.,,odyessy flat forks,DF dozzer stem,3pc cranks,innertubes,a street hub up front and ya shoukld have a freecoaster up back cos thats best for flatland but i aint 2 sure one will hold up but if ya do buy one get a nankai cos they are the strogest,odyssey intac seatpost and 99er seat,KHE flatland pedals,KHE dolan bars..all them parts are for flatland BUT will hold up good for street.As for peg(4) get some street pegs that ya can drill holes in for extra grip or street pegs with grip already on em.Have bith a front and back brake with a odyssey03 gyro :D oh yeah and the federal fraction will be fine for street and flat!!!

F

FOL

Flatland and street bike? post #8
For a complete I got the tip: we the people daredevil. Not very expensive, good enough foir beginning street, a bit less for flatland, but yet good enough.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Flatland and street bike? post #9
ahhh every bigginer wants to ride flat AND street, why is this?

ok, a flatland bike (proper flatland bike) will come with a freecoaster hub, this is very important on a flatland specific bike, and enables you to roll backwards without the pedals rotating backwards. however freecosters are quite weak and will not stand up to much street abuse unless you get a really high quality one. thus meaning that having a street and flatland bike is almost a contradiction. also the flatland geometry MAY not suite street riding for you personally.

my advice is this: decide whether you want to ride mostly flat, if so then get a flat specific bike. if you want to ride mostly street, with a little bit flat here and there, then get a "street" type bike.

F

federal_rider12

Flatland and street bike? post #10
leon_luxton said:
well some double wall rims would help so they dont mend.,,odyessy flat forks,DF dozzer stem,3pc cranks,innertubes,a street hub up front and ya shoukld have a freecoaster up back cos thats best for flatland but i aint 2 sure one will hold up but if ya do buy one get a nankai cos they are the strogest,odyssey intac seatpost and 99er seat,KHE flatland pedals,KHE dolan bars..all them parts are for flatland BUT will hold up good for street.As for peg(4) get some street pegs that ya can drill holes in for extra grip or street pegs with grip already on em.Have bith a front and back brake with a odyssey03 gyro :D oh yeah and the federal fraction will be fine for street and flat!!!
well street pegs never have grip, but since hes a beginner he wont go through the bottom side of the peg quickly so half the peg can be smooth while the other half have grip tape on it like on skateboards

F

FOL

Flatland and street bike? post #11
federal_rider12 said:
well street pegs never have grip, but since hes a beginner he wont go through the bottom side of the peg quickly so half the peg can be smooth while the other half have grip tape on it like on skateboards
Not true, well...you can make them (easily?) gripfull (is that an english word?). MArtii kuoppa used street pegs as well.

L

leon_luxton

Flatland and street bike? post #12
kristopheer said:
(not to expensive though) .
well ALL good bike parts will cost alot...specially a flatland pecific bike :D

New Topics