female axle

• Discuss female axle in the Reviews, Howtos & Tech-Articles forum in area BMX-Forum Community; [IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h215/lusting563/Picture012.jpg[/IMG] for you trendy kids out there i am going to tell you about how to lose... ...
B

bluntsmokinrobot

female axle post #1

for you trendy kids out there i am going to tell you about how to lose about a 1lb. off you rear end

materals:
Lathe
Q Drillbit
tap(3/8 24)
oil

1.you are going to need to measure the distance from the end of your axle to your hardware(leave about 3/16 so your axle still can slide into your dropouts

2.you need to find someone with a lathe(machine shops have them)
take your axle and drill a 3/8 hole(Q drillbit)with the lathe

3.cut the alxe down to to size that you have already mesured

4.take your tap and turn it into axle so you create threads on the inside of your axle

5.find some blots and some washers and you good to go

you can do this with any axle i used my shadow rant v2

note:you can not drill the hole into your axle with your standard drill you need a lathe

bike ryder

bike ryder

female axle post #2
Re: you can make your own female axle

you posted this twice ? nice how to

L

lildrewmilby

female axle post #3
pretty cool, tell us if it has any draw backs besides no pegs

The Radness

The Radness

female axle post #4
one thing i'd like to mention, if you do this on a coaster, make sure not to drill into the clutch mechanism if you running a ball bearings pressure system.

J

JonMack

female axle post #5
Nice one bro, rep+

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

female axle post #6
yes! you should do this to my axles. i ride pegless.

G

gtbmx0222

female axle post #7
i did this to my pirmo mix.
i suggest using a t-handle to turn the tap, not a regular wrench. using a regular wrench puts pressure more toward one side of the tap, which makes it much easier to break. the t-handle, makes it even out and not as prone to breaking or shearing off.
also, use a tapping oil such as Tap Magic, its a bastard to get a broken tap out. its cheap and totally worth it (http://www.tools-plus.com/tap-magic-30004p.html just an example, you should be able to get it at the hardware store, though i havent looked, i get the tm i use from my father).
and you CAN run pegs on this, but make sure to use adapters and dont be a hack about grinds.
as in no hard icepics or feebles.
also, if the tap becomes really hard to turn, back it out to clear the metal shavings.
most importantly:
TAKE YOUR TIME!
you cannot stress that enough, cutting the axle is somewhat forgiving. drilling it out and tapping it is a one chance deal, you screw up, youre buying a new axle.
also, the best thing to do imo when you cut it is to get a grinder+ cutoff wheel and cut it, and then get a machine shop to get it smoothed out on the ends. leaving the rough edges can 1) strip out your cone nuts (happened on my front hub) and 2) get the cone nuts stuck on there, which is a complete hassle to get them off (i had to take out my axle, which would otherwise be ok, but my bearings fit tighter than any ive ever felt).

Last edited by a moderator:
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

female axle post #8
sweet, i found someone to do this for me. i called a few machine shops in town and i got connected to this old retired guy named dan who is going to do it in this workshop for me.

where did you get the bolts that you are using there? what size allen wrench are you using? i would like to do this and find some allen bolts for 8mm. i was told that you can find a 3/8" bolt with a 5/16" head that is close enough to 8mm. 5/16" is just a hiar bigger than 7.9-mm.

Last edited:
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

female axle post #9
you need to find someone with a lathe(machine shops have them)
take your axle and drill a 3/8 hole(Q drillbit)with the lathe
just for the sake of clarity (so kids don't go drilling 3/8" holes in their axles thinking they will be able to tap 3/8" threads afterwards) the bit you need is not 3/8". i forget how big a Q bit is, but it's slightly less than 3/8", 21/64" i think. you need something smaller than 3/8" because you need some material left inside the hole for the threads to be tapped into it.

B

brezza

female axle post #10
:D nice

skavenger256

skavenger256

female axle post #11
I had these like 8 years ago, their called haro heffer III's .

BikeSATORI

BikeSATORI

female axle post #12
Nice work. Props on the mod. I might give it a go on my Anorexia.

S

stolenwrap69

female axle post #13
nice mod but your back hub is just about as grimey as mine:D

K

Kirbs

female axle post #14
I did it and now my back wheel slips like a slut.

mootiny

mootiny

female axle post #15
goood howtoo. id do it if i didnt already have a profile female axel haha

B

bazz1990

female axle post #16
i am trying to do this to my proper axel so far i drilled it out and that i am using a 3/8nf24 tap it got to a certin point got hard i cleared the thread and that done that a couple of times and than the tap snapped . could this be that the hole should be drilled bigger or that the axel material is to tough

BikeSATORI

BikeSATORI

female axle post #17
i am trying to do this to my proper axel so far i drilled it out and that i am using a 3/8nf24 tap it got to a certin point got hard i cleared the thread and that done that a couple of times and than the tap snapped . could this be that the hole should be drilled bigger or that the axel material is to tough

were you using lubrication?

Generally I would assume that if the tap snapped easily, it was probably being put in on an angle, or side forces were being exerted when spun.... Hard to tell.

New Topics