DROPOUT FILING HELP!!

• Discuss DROPOUT FILING HELP!! in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; how can i file my dropouts from 3/8 to 14mm without spending like a million years. it took me like 30mins to take half a mill off. anyone got ne ideas... ...
  • Tags shop
B

bin_lowden

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #1
how can i file my dropouts from 3/8 to 14mm without spending like a million years. it took me like 30mins to take half a mill off. anyone got ne ideas :cry: :cry: :cry:

K

kyxpegsco

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #2

leave it or use a mechanic file

A

Anonymous

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #3
i would say screw the file and invest some money in an angle grinder. i did and it cut those dropouts fast. it helps so much. and u can use it for making the ends of your bars nice and straight after cutting them down with a hack saw and other various bike improvement projects.

A

Anonymous

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #4
yeah just buy an angle grinder it works good

jamiewat

jamiewat

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #5
take it to a metal workshop with a mill and they will do it so it purfect and the same on both sides and will be done in a bout 15 mins
it will cost about £10 ($20) but will be woth it cos u can only do it once

joebo

joebo

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #6
Anonymous said:
yeah just buy an angle grinder it works good
DO NOT ANGLE GRIND IT!!! i have done this to a couple a frames now take the time and do it by hand (with a file). you will thank yourself later.

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #7
HSS hacksaw blades!! Clamp the frame down, draw a line where you want to cut and then hack away.

HSS blades should take you about 15 mins per 1" on 5mm thick cro-mo.

:)

ridecleveland

ridecleveland

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #8
Take it to a machine shop.

CEP

CEP

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #9
ridecleveland said:
Take it to a machine shop.
yeah its truly the way to go, these guys are within the thousanth of a millimeter when it comes to metal works.

D

dirkadirka

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #10
metal shop. i would suggest ghetto shit but when dealing with the axle siting properly in the dropout is pretty essential.

it would cost like 20 bucks tops.

punk_porcupine

punk_porcupine

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #11
Does it matter?

IT IS A 3 YEAR OLD THREAD

Flatline

Flatline

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #12
If you have any mechanical skill or are good with power tools just borrow a andgle grinder with a cutoff disc. Mark out an area roughly 15mm wide leaving the bottem of the dropout with the most metal (don't shave any off the bottem, because it weakens the steel too much in that critical area of the dropout) and then just cut carefully with the angle grinder on your mark, then get a hacksack and cut out the piece you cut with the grinder, this is the important part, get a drill and put one of those round grinding stones on it that are about half an inch big and round out the inside of the dropout so it looks nice and round.

Real eay, just takes some time. Saves 20 bucks anyday.

G-Ram

G-Ram

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #13
sixdegrees said:
HSS hacksaw blades!! Clamp the frame down, draw a line where you want to cut and then hack away.

HSS blades should take you about 15 mins per 1" on 5mm thick cro-mo.

:)
thats what i did

L

lambo37

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #14
once again ITS A 3 YR OLD THREAD

O

ozz

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #15
Flatline said:
If you have any mechanical skill or are good with power tools just borrow a andgle grinder with a cutoff disc. Mark out an area roughly 15mm wide leaving the bottem of the dropout with the most metal (don't shave any off the bottem, because it weakens the steel too much in that critical area of the dropout) and then just cut carefully with the angle grinder on your mark, then get a hacksack and cut out the piece you cut with the grinder, this is the important part, get a drill and put one of those round grinding stones on it that are about half an inch big and round out the inside of the dropout so it looks nice and round.

Real eay, just takes some time. Saves 20 bucks anyday.
I would disagree with grinding only on the top, if you think about it, thats where the strain is going to be put from the axle.

My friend and i grinded out a frames dropouts recently, just use an angle grinder with a filing or grind disc, not a cut off, because if you use the side of a cutoff disc it will disintergrate and possible fly apart proppelled at 5000rpm, it was a fairly easy process, but we work with grinders and metal daily, so we know how to use the tools effectivly.

It will definitely void any warrenty you have.

And i know it's a three year old thread, but what would you say if someone made a new one? To search?

R

rbimdxe

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #16
punk_porcupine said:
Does it matter?

A-F*ckin-Men...

yamahayz

yamahayz

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #17
punk_porcupine said:
Does it matter?

And yet, if he was using a file hes probably still filing away now.....

R

rbimdxe

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #18
yamahayz said:
punk_porcupine said:
Does it matter?

And yet, if he was using a file hes probably still filing away now.....
Lol, ill pay that... lmao

G-Ram

G-Ram

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #19
lambo37 said:
once again ITS A 3 YR OLD THREAD
if you care soo much why'd you even post in this tread.....idiot

A

AaronBMX

DROPOUT FILING HELP!! post #20
omg stop bringing up ooold threads :x

New Topics