Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub?

• Discuss Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Just wondering. I'm kinda tall and have trouble back-pedaling on fakie. I haven't seen many videos, but I think Luc-e rides a freecoaster. Does anyone... ...
  • Tags 180 bike dirt fakie flatland shop street
B

bruisedbob

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #1
Just wondering. I'm kinda tall and have trouble back-pedaling on fakie. I haven't seen many videos, but I think Luc-e rides a freecoaster. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the durability of this type of hub on street and some dirt?

F

FOL

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #2
well I ride a freecoaster on my flatland bike, I can't really say anything about the durability when riding street and/or dirt. It never broke so far, but I have to adjust it often...BEcause it either 'stops working' and I need to pedal backwards, or the wheel moves ( from the back seen, normally | but if I push the wheel it looks like / ). But yet it hasn't been broken so far :)

B

bruisedbob

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #3
That sounds kinda sketchy. Are you sure it's not broke or loose-ass spokes?

F

FOL

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #4
no I ain't sure about that :) and it is the stnadard wtp people 2k2 freecoaster hub. I am not sure what the quality is of it, compared to other hubs. Maybe something is written on that bmx-test site or whatever it was called.

RuLe

RuLe

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #5
dude whos are so weird. i rode a flatland bike with one and it like kicks in like after you pedal half way and you dont have to pedal backwards its weird from normal cassette hubs

F

FOL

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #6
true about the 'attaching point' that you actually start to make speed after some pedalling (10-180 degrees). I believe that is for the freecoaster to work right. IF not adjusted right, it can run up to 180 degrees, then it gets dangerous, because when you step up, you fall forward, cos of 'no' friction. But if you adjust them right, it only is like 10 degrees (which I have now), which you get used to pretty quick and doesn't matter that much.

F

federal_rider12

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #7
ian schwartz rides a freecoaster hub and hes the best fakie rider. i see him everyday i go to lancaster skatepark. he rides for fly bikes, check out their site. he only does street i dont think he even does dirt. but if you want to know if they are good for street, check out props issue 51 and watch his bio.

SCHWARTZ IS BAD ASS!

B

bruisedbob

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #8
Hey Federal. Could you ask him what type of freecoaster he uses(looking for a durable one) and if they sponser him. That could make a difference. If he breaks one every couple of months, it won't be practical for me. If it's a problem, no sweat. I just don't know anyone that does flatland around here. Only seen one kid with a flatland frame and I think he didn't know it was for flat. So, not much freecoaster knowledge around here. Late

F

federal_rider12

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #9
well from what i know hes been riding that freecoaster for a long time. i know one of his friends, who works at the bike shop i go to, and he said hes been riding his wheelset for a while. ill just ask the guy at the shop because he should know because i dont live near lancaster, but i think he might ride the odyssey freecoaster

P

Pyro insaine

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #10
SMY makes the best freecoaster ever, seriosly look at one, its made for major street and dirt abuse, w/ less ajusting required

B

bruisedbob

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #11
SMY? Never heard of them but I'll look thanks.

F

FT rider

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #12
Pyro insaine Posted

SMY makes the best freecoaster ever, seriosly look at one, its made for major street and dirt abuse, w/ less ajusting required

i think he means SYM NOT SMY, they are called SYM hubs as used by lee musselwhite anyway their homepage is www.symhub.com but they are very expensive

B

bruisedbob

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #13
yeah i found them. but i just busted my cranks. so no fancy freecoaster for me. they look nice though.

I

Inverbike

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #14
Hey it would still be cool if you could find out what freecoaster he rides.

THanks.

B

b_m_x_X_x

Does anyone ride street with a freecoaster hub? post #15
I actually rode a Odyssey Freecoaster for 4 months back in 2003. I liked it at first, but it was heavy, and idk what is was, bt sometimes you need to just pedal backwards for some of those half cab tricks. I gave it up. I never bent the axle or anything, i did plenty of grinds and such too.

New Topics