do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps?

• Discuss do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I'm gonna go try dirt jumps this weekend for the first time and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to keep in mind. Do you guys bunnyhop off the... ...
  • Tags bike dirt jump
T

tgreathead

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #1
I'm gonna go try dirt jumps this weekend for the first time and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to keep in mind. Do you guys bunnyhop off the lip, or just let momentum carry you over the jump?

F

federal_rider12

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #2
momentum wont do you any good, you need to bunnyhop.

I

infantry43RIDER

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #3
its not really the same as bunnyhopping though...its more of just a boost time thing...but most of the basic elements in the bunnyhop are incorporated into the boost of the lip.

F

federal_rider12

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #4
i actually bunnyhop and when i try i can bust huge air. i got 4 or so feet off a 6in "jump" that little kids made and acted like it was the best, of course i landed off center(back wheel was bent badly) and i jacked myself good. rolled my ankle that day and hyper-extended my left wrist(right wrist was already hyper-extended). price to pay to show little kids what you can do

L

leon_luxton

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #5
yeah i bunnyhop of a dirt jump when ever i dirt jump what is like hardly EVER

F

FOL

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #6
yeah I was wondering almost the same but then for park....
and for vert, how do you make sure you con't hit the coping? push off a little (not really bhop) ?

el nombre

el nombre

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #7
It's not a proper bunnyhop. It's a similar idea though. Momentum does do a lot for you if the jumps flow well so pull up a bit at the top of the lip and pump the bowls

O

oibmxpunx

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #8
just remember to dive the front of ur bike so u can flow the jumps and if u can pump do u wont need to pull up

T

tgreathead

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #9
Did my first dirt jumping today. Met some cool guys that offered me some tips. The best air I got was around 5 inches (first time, remember).

M

Mr_Shrapnel

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #10
no, you do not bunnyhop of a dirt jump. if the jump if good then it should pump you up into the air nicely, when you exit the lip, pull up on your bars a bit, and tuck the bike up using your feet a little, bit ONLY do this after you are in the air.
after you are comfortable with doing that, leaving the jump will come naturally, and then you can start doing tricks.
like it was just said you dont bunnyhop off a jump, you just kind of pump off, and pull up a bit in the air. its a litle hard to explain, but you will get it no problem, the hard (for some) part is landing smoothly.

T

Trimix

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #11
That's what I was going to say. Let the ramp do the work. If it is built right, it just takes a little "pump". Think of swinging in a swing. Same kind of pump, only you are on a bike. LOL

F

federal_rider12

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #12
i have riden good ramps and ive tried both, letting the ramp take me with some pump and bunnyhopping, and well to say i cased and killed myself everytime i let the ramp take me and pump and i hardly got any air. so then i bunnyhopped it and damn so much more air and had no troubles and i could move alot slower and make it instead of getting more speed and pump. ive been jumping dirt jumps for 3 years and ive always bunnyhopped the jumps and i do great and get some good air. sometimes i just pull up and pump but if i want air i bunnyhop, but thats what i do and its great for me

T

Trimix

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #13
Sounds like you are talking more about pulling, and tucking, then actually bunnyhopping....but yea, I guess it is the same thing and I understand what you are saying.

For instance when I lay my pegs on the coping, I hop up on it....so you could say I bunnyhop onto the coping. Likewise, when I transfer and gap from one ramp to the coping of another (something I have been having fun with) It's DEFINITELY a bunnyhop to get up there.......

F

federal_rider12

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #14
no sometimes i do that but i mostly bunnyhop when i want to get some good air otherwise i just like pull up scrunch up. but i mostly like to bunnyhop jumps its so much better to me

W

William

do you bunnyhop off dirt jumps? post #15
Ok I’ve never done dirt jumps on a bmx, but I have done a lot on my mountain bike. The best way I find to get air is to pull back when you get to the lip of the jump, and then push forward before you land. This gives you a nice arced like jump which gives you more time to do tricks. The further you pull back the higher you go. The problem is if you push forward to fast you land on you front wheel and die!

New Topics