do i need a new back tire???HELP

• Discuss do i need a new back tire???HELP in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; if i get a smaller chainwheell sprocket do i neeed a completely new back wheel:hmm: ...
J

jackg5322

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #1
if i get a smaller chainwheell sprocket do i neeed a completely new back wheel:hmm:

K

Karl H. Marx

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #2
No but if your wheel has a 13t+ freewheel on its probably better to get a whole new a wheel because the rim will be crap.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #3
If you have a cassette on the back now, you'll want to change it to the corresponding correct gear ratio.

44t-16t 30t-11t
39t-14t 28t-10t
36t-13t 25t-9t
33t-12t

A tyre is the rubber part on the rim that makes contact with the ground. So no, you wont need a new "tyre" Unless its fuked of course! ;)

Last edited:
At1x

At1x

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #4
If you have a cassette on the back now, you'll want to change it to the corresponding correct gear ratio.

44t-16t 30t-11t
39t-14t 28t-10t
36t-13t 25t-9t
33t-12t
Do all of those go to 2.75?

Maybe he wants a different gearing.

Skizzo

Skizzo

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #5
No but if your wheel has a 13t+ freewheel on its probably better to get a whole new a wheel because the rim will be crap.
im not sure what the correlation between a freewheel and the rims quality is but either way....

it depends... on average most people run gear ratios like

22-8
25-9
28-10
30-11
33-12

and so on.... if you are looking to run something like those you will need to have a cassette backwheel. if you are running a freewheel in the back then you will need to get a cassette hub to be able to run any of those sizes. If you already have one of t hose sizes then you may be able to just get a new driver or cog to go smaller. Also you wouldnt necessarily need a whole new wheel, you could keep the same rim and have a different hub laced to it, but depending on what rim you have it may be better in the long run to just go ahead and buy a whole new wheel.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #6
Do all of those go to 2.75?

Maybe he wants a different gearing.
Yea, these are the standard. Unless he wants something non standard. Those are a general guide as to what would feel more or less right.

K

Karl H. Marx

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #7
im not sure what the correlation between a freewheel and the rims quality is but either way.....
If he has a freewheel hub on a non-racing bike then the bike is probably crap, this includes the rims.

H

Hermes

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #8
if you get a diffrent size sproket....

At1x

At1x

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #9
Yea, these are the standard. Unless he wants something non standard. Those are a general guide as to what would feel more or less right.
I have 2.06 ATM and I can say that it feel 3x better than the bloody 2.75 (I hated it) ;x

You can check how the Gear Ratios work, Here

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #10
jackg- what kind of rear hub do you have now?

read the link posted above about gear ratios. 2.75 is ideal but a little below/above that is ok. i would not recommend riding a 25/16 ratio, that would SUCK.

Skizzo

Skizzo

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #11
If he has a freewheel hub on a non-racing bike then the bike is probably crap, this includes the rims.
so because im not running a racing bike and i have a 16t freewheel my primo hula-hoop is crap huh? (primo pro hub and black primo spokes)

AustinK

AustinK

do i need a new back tire???HELP post #12
so because im not running a racing bike and i have a 16t freewheel my primo hula-hoop is crap huh? (primo pro hub and black primo spokes)

Ya man that dude doesn't know what he is talking about.

[QUOTE I have 2.06 ATM and I can say that it feel 3x better than the bloody 2.75 (I hated it) ;x
[/QUOTE]

How do you get any speed without going speedy gonzalez trying to pedal your ass off?

New Topics