DK General Lee Brakes

• Discuss DK General Lee Brakes in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I just got a General Lee 24" and the braking is terrible. I am wondering about the possibility of a front brake set up. I am guessing I would have... ...
  • Tags bike shop
F

Flat Black

DK General Lee Brakes post #1
I just got a General Lee 24" and the braking is terrible. I am wondering about the possibility of a front brake set up. I am guessing I would have to upgrade to a different fork as there are no mount points. What about a front disc set up?

Appreciate any suggestions.

I am mostly riding trail, downhill, and street.

F

Flat Black

DK General Lee Brakes post #2
Ahhhhhh let me polish that up a little. The breaking isn't terrible- it is fine for what it is, I would just like more. I am riding this bike in the city in heavy traffic during the week and I would feel more comfortable with stronger brakes.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

DK General Lee Brakes post #3
heres my advice i always give people as far as brakes go, spend alot of time working out how to dial them in - this is very important.

if you are using a gyro (eg sst with a 2 to 1 cable set up) and dont REALLY NEED it eg if you are not doing several barspins and tailwhips one after another, you should consider changing your set up to a single brake cable on the rear, this wil instantly increase breaking power.

make sure your internal cables are very well lubbed, and have not sharp internal parts which are ristricting brake cable movement.

make sure that the tension in the brake springs have a good tension.

makes sure that your pads are as close to your rim as possible without letting the pads rub on your rim.

if you dont have a chrome rim eg a black anodized one, try putting a layer of tar on on, you can get this from most good bike shops.

try sanding the top surface of your brake pads to make them a little rough and less slic (if they are new)

try softer brake pads

some people have had success with boiling there brake pads in hot (boiling) water. some people find that this makes the pads more pliable.

if you do have black rims you really should try the tar, it will work, and should last quite a long time.

you can get a disk brake kit from atomlab...but dont, you can dial u-brakes in super well, it just takes a bit of time to learn. i just have a diacompe ad 990 on my bike and i use if alot as a mode of transport, and its more than enough braking power.

if you want a front brake you have two choices, get a caliper brake - pretty damn crap....so dont, or you can get a u brake plate which will, enable you to run a u brake on the front. (its a little plate which srews in the little hole on your stear tube, which has u brake mounts on it)

i think thats all i can say really.

F

Flat Black

DK General Lee Brakes post #4
(its a little plate which srews in the little hole on your stear tube, which has u brake mounts on it)

Hey can you explain that a little bit more? I do not see any points on my fork where a brake or plate could be mounted but maybe I am not looking in the right way. Thank-you for your response.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

DK General Lee Brakes post #5
ok, well, firstly not ALL forks have them, but most do. the place where it should be mounted is through a hole which has been drilled through the steer tube (the tube which goes through the head tube on you frame) just above your front tire. in other words whre a standard caliper is mounted.

your forks may not have this, if that is the case and you really do want to use a u break plate you will have to drill a hole, but thiss is no problem as long as you use a metal drill bit.

however i would say you should forget about a front brake, and just take some of my recommendations, eg take off the gyro, lube you cables, and just take some time over your brakes dialing them in. oh and soft brake pads.

i dont know if that helped, if you still dont undrstand just tell me and i should be able to get some pics, to explain it a bit better.

F

Flat Black

DK General Lee Brakes post #6
Hey man thanks for your response.

It is winter here right now so I havn't been riding a whole lot. I will try out some of your suggestions in the Spring and see how I do.

My brake system is very straight forward- no gyro, direct cable routing, etc. My rims are black though so I think I will try the tar and I may check in to softer pads- although the pads that are on there now seem pretty soft.

That hole is what I was looking for- my fork doesn't have it so I guess I would have to drill one. I may still consider doing that. I have been trail riding the bike a lot and have been hitting some pretty steep sections which are great to hit with speed but I wouldn't mind having a front brake you know.

Anyway thanks again.

New Topics