DK 4 Pack Questions

• Discuss DK 4 Pack Questions in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I am thinking of buying a DK 4 Pack and was wondering if it is a good bike to start on ? i will mainly be wanting to do flatland/street on it ... ...
  • Tags best bikes bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes flatland shop street
F

felling crew

DK 4 Pack Questions post #1
I am thinking of buying a DK 4 Pack and was wondering if it is a good bike to start on ? i will mainly be wanting to do flatland/street on it ?

Also my friend has one and was wondering if the standard tektro brakes should be better than they are (they barely stop the bike !! )

And one final thing, he was wondering at what angle he should have the handlebars ?

A

ashton

DK 4 Pack Questions post #2
i think that handle bars feel better when in line with the forks. and a dk 4 pac is a great bike for street dunno bout flatland though

M

Mr_Shrapnel

DK 4 Pack Questions post #3
hehehe why does every body just starting bmx want to ride street AND flatland?. ok, here goes. yes, the dk is a good bike for a beginner, you should be pleased with it, and the general thought on bars is that they should be in line with the forks, just make sure you don't have them in front of the forks line otherwise your ride will handle like a total spack.

will it be good for flat? well yes and no. the point is that what alot of beginners to bmx do not realise it that flat land bikes have very different geometry to other bmx bikes, for example steep head tubes and seat tubes, short top tubes, bent down tubes (sometimes) shorter back ends, forks with less reach, bars with less sweep, stems with less reach, 4 large knurled pegs, a gyro if you are going to have a back brake, and very importantly a freecoaster hub.
the dk does not have any of these really, however that does not mean that you cannot ride flat on it, and it will not stop you doing flatland type tricks....for the moment.
(this is the yes, no part) the dk will be fine for flat while you are just starting eg while you are learning the basics, which will be quite a while, but if you want to seriously ride flat, predominantly, then the dk is not really specked for flatland use.

F

felling crew

DK 4 Pack Questions post #4
Cheers lads, one final question ;

The tektro brakes on the 4 pack suck a little, they dont seem to stop the bike at all, should these brakes be good if set up properly ? the bike looked like it had been set up by the shop but how well they set it up i dont know. Any ideas or links to web sites for this would be good.

F

federal_rider12

DK 4 Pack Questions post #5
put the bars at an angle that feels good to u b/c then ull be able to bunnyhop better and Chicago style(like my friends call it) where it is angled with ur forks like everyone else says to do may not be the best for u so keep movin them around till u find what u like

i use to ride mine straight up and down and now i ride chicago style and my bunnyhop has gotten a bit lower but i got a bit more control then before

R

rich77

DK 4 Pack Questions post #6
i hated my 4 packs brakes for a little while when i first got it, but i had been ridin mountain bikes with discs. Now im used to them and rather the brakes as they are, easier for manuals etc. Just make sure that there is no slack in the cables, all the surface area of the pad comes into contact with the rim and that the pads hit the rim at the same time. You'll get used to them.

C

Chuzzlewit

DK 4 Pack Questions post #7
Mr_Shrapnel said:
hehehe why does every body just starting bmx want to ride street AND flatland?.
Exactly what i was thinking! and the bars thing, i have mine slightly angled toward me a little bit, i just prefer the, like that, i cant ride if they are in line with the forks, but he should have them at whatever angle he feels comfortable riding with.

R

rocket

DK 4 Pack Questions post #8
felling crew said:
Cheers lads, one final question ;

The tektro brakes on the 4 pack suck a little, they dont seem to stop the bike at all, should these brakes be good if set up properly ? the bike looked like it had been set up by the shop but how well they set it up i dont know. Any ideas or links to web sites for this would be good.
yeah the 4 Pack is one of the best bikes you can get for the money. i got one just for a second bike. only thing i suggest getting for it is sealed 3pc cranks. as far as the brakes...they do suck and its a bitch trying to get them dialed in...if your not good at it, have the shop do it and ask if you can watch.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

DK 4 Pack Questions post #9
hmmm i dont really see why thay shuould be that bad, just make sure that if the lever is on the handle bar bend, that the lever is bent to compensate,
make sure that the cables are lubbed,
make sure that the tension on the brake springs is good,
make sure that the arms/pads are as close to the rim as possible (without it rubbing)
and it may be worth getting some new brake pads, i would recommend kool stop eagle 2's.

F

felling crew

DK 4 Pack Questions post #10
Thanks for all the help lads,

Currently using my house mates dk 4 pack. We were out last night trying to master a trick. Not sure what its name is but it starts with my right foot on the back left peg and my other foot on the front left peg. Then a quick turn of the bars and i am stood on the front pegs. That bit is easy enough but its the next part of getting back on the seat that we are struggling with. Good laugh though. As for the brakes the back one seems really good since all the black paint has come off the rim.

If you were to recommend a bike for flatland at around £250 what would you suggest ?

New Topics