Disc Brakes Or Not??

• Discuss Disc Brakes Or Not?? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; [b]Hey [/b] Im new and i was just wonderin if u can have disc brakes WITH giro on bmxs :?: , or if not what are the best brakes? oh and are they any... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes mountain bike race bikes
bmxer182

bmxer182

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #1
Hey Im new and i was just wonderin if u can have disc brakes WITH giro on bmxs :?: , or if not what are the best brakes? oh and are they any riders from Huddersfield here?thanks Again :)

T

traildemon

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #2
haha disc brakes on bmx bikes..that's a good one...image pulling a nose manual and then pulling your brakes..that wouldn't be a pretty sight

F

federal_rider12

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #3
ok im certain you cant run disc brakes with a gyro(disc brakes i think have a certain cable that needs to be run with it and gyro cables dont run far enough back to use the brake) and you dont want disc brakes on a bmx but ive seen a couple racers who have them, downhill racers, and they are also used on mountain bikes but its expensive and not meant for freestyle use and it depends on the frame for which brakes you have. super cheap bikes like $120-below have normal sidepull A brakes, then dirt/freestyle bikes have U brakes and race bikes have V brakes and for you, you want U brakes which are located on the chain stay tubes(the 2 tubes that lead from the bottom bracket, the place where the crank goes through, and back to the drop out, where the axle slots are) or the bottom side of seat stays(the 2 tubes above the chain stays that leads from the seat tube down to the drop out) and there should be 2 mounts one on each tube. if the mounts are on the top of the seat stays it would be V brake mounts, which are found on race frames. if there are no mounts just a plate with a hole in it that would be a A brake plate

i think i covered it all dont know odnt want to read it again

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #4
there is a possibility to run disk brakes on your bmx, (cable pull ones, not hydraulic) i belive atomlab do/did a conversion kit. however do not do this, you DO NOT NEED DISK BRAKES ON A BMX.
you just said you were new, that is clear from your question. (no insult intended) when you have been riding longer you will realise why that is such a stupid question. just get a good u-brake like an odyssey evolver and you will have all the braking power you will need.

S

sandmriderbmx

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #5
u could but i wouldnt

bmxer182

bmxer182

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #6
Rite stupid question then? :oops: Thanks fedral for al the info! how much r odyssey evolver brakes does anyone know?i need some good brakes to do a bit of trials on my bmx! like hopping off walls and stuff, so i need some good brakes!

thanks

R

rocket

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #7
...to put it simple, disc brakes died in the 90's for a reason. they suck and weigh too much for bmx. any brake you see in online mail orders is fine.
evovolvers are excellent.

bmxer182

bmxer182

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #9
8) thanks! im gonna buy them for my birthday in april, until then ill have to put up with my crap ones that came with my Bubba. Does anyone ride whos from Yorkshire here?? i need to know some good skate parks.

F

federal_rider12

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #10
has anyone seen drum brakes, a shop around here has a bunch of old schwinn stingrays that have drum brakes and i think thats what your talking about icerocket because disc brakes arent heavy they weigh slightly more then a normal brake, about like 3-5oz, drum brakes are massive and heavy

also some racers use disc brakes, but thats mostly downhill, but they are greatly used on mountain bikes and some road bikes because of high speeds and brake pads were doing a good enough job and they glaze over quickly

J

jens89

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #11
I think disc breakes would **** up after a few missed grinds

K

kater

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #12
Never ever.

S

sandmriderbmx

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #13
im tellin you, brakeless is the way to go

S

sentaafEQpovar

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #14
your bike looks pretty weel with upkeep, why aint u riding brakes?

S

sandmriderbmx

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #15
one day i accedently ****ed up my brakes so i ripped em off and i just kept it tht way and got used to it

F

federal_rider12

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #16
jens89 said:
I think disc breakes would f*ck up after a few missed grinds
well if you hit it yes, but disc brakes were not meant for freestyle of any kind they were made because the basic brakes and pads couldnt stop a fast moving bike good enough so they are meant for racing and mountain biking

K

kater

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #17
sandmriderbmx said:
im tellin you, brakeless is the way to go
Yes!

bmxer182

bmxer182

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #18
Drum Brakes? Fedral what are Drum brakes? never heard of them! can u post a pic of them? thanks

F

federal_rider12

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #19
i will see if i can find it online but its something they used way back in the day

F

federal_rider12

Disc Brakes Or Not?? post #20

there it is kinda hard to see the rear drum but the front has one too

New Topics