Disc brakes on BMX??

• Discuss Disc brakes on BMX?? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I always see all these bad ass disc brake kits on MTB's. Do they make some for BMX, or can I mount a MTB kit on my BMX? Or is there some thing stupid... ...
  • Tags bmx bmx brake jump
W

wturner3

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #1
I always see all these bad ass disc brake kits on MTB's. Do they make some for BMX, or can I mount a MTB kit on my BMX? Or is there some thing stupid about that idea that I haven't thought about?

Thanks

A

apathy

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #2
I've got to ask... why?

BMX brakes are sticky enough to make the $$ outlay pointless. You don't need them at all.

E

EasternBMX

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #3
NOOO! ugly

W

wturner3

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #4
Because I am rich and I want them! I don't do the trick stuff I am into dirt racing and trail riding, so I don't see a reason not to get them. So, I am not interested in opinions, but facts. Will they work or not?

E

evanc

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #5
Yes.

E

Element Biker Dude

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #6
there is no need 2 get them, i only ride trails and i have dia comp 990
barkes and thats all i need and dice brakes way 2 much ne way
and if u are in 2 trails and racing the hole idair is to go fast so u only need V brakes AT THE MOST

A

apathy

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #7
apathy said:
BMX brakes are sticky enough ......... You don't need them at all.

There's a fact, you facking poser.

S

sentaafEQpovar

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #8
if my brakes worked, i would use em, u dont need brakes in bmx, but they come in handy, i.e. if ur at a skatepark or sumthing and a cow walks in front of the ramp ur about to hit, u can stop a lot faster using brakes than u can by droping ur feet to the floor and scurrying ur bike to a halt, b4 u hit the cow, or maybe there is a ramp and a q-pipe behind it, and u want to hit the ramp at full speed, but not the q-pipe, so u pull the brakes a lil b4 the q-pipe, or at the trials, when u hit the first jump hella scetchy or cased the landing, but ur going to fast to stop before the next jump in the set, but too slow to clear it, all in all, u dont need brakes, but they make things easier

G

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #9
sentaaf hangs toads: fenninro > Stoic

S

sentaafEQpovar

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #10
i bet we wouldnve owned him with talifer rhiz nareon or any other of our old tanks :/

G

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #11
taliefer died IRL last weekend. got shot by pigeion toed tony

V

Vic_Vega

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #12
That entire exchange between you two was utterly indecipherable.

L

leon_luxton

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #13
well....first of all you CAN have disc brakes :D i know this because i have seen a BMX for sale in a catalog with a disc brake on so it is possable...BUT wots the point..3 reason not to...
-it looks really *** and wired
-whats the point in paying alot more when you can get an 990 or evolver that will work just as good or maybe better.
-the trouble of putting it all to get here...cant have gyro :?
so DONT get one :twisted:

S

sentaafEQpovar

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #14
ima get me some one one sided forks..... himm wouldnt it be stick then? cuase forks = 2 or more ends

G

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #15
ankles = goosed x2

E

EasternBMX

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #16

edit fol: no swearing

C

crashdoinbmx

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #17
i know that dans used to sell an adapter kit for this.. you need a flip flop hub and 3/8" axles tho...

heres a pic i wish was real (the disc sits over my flip/flop hub with no adapter)

E

EPMD

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #18
:roll: lol thats pretty dumb

C

crashdoinbmx

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #19
Reasons for disc brakes :

1. keep clean finish on the rims
2. rims dont need to be 100% true
3. no rub (rotor is always perfectly straight)
4. Less external cabling... (less fray..plus hydraulic option)
5. better stopping power (except that the spokes will be under a lot of stress)

there are several disavantages also:

1. clearance-- imagine this rotor hitting the coping at vans..
2. the stress on the spokes....
3. gryo--i think it would still be possible to run a gyro but definitely a little bit harder..

etc..[/list]

A

anti-flag

Disc brakes on BMX?? post #20
ok there is no bmx brake that will compare to the stoping power of a hydrolic disc. i no cause i had them. and they kick ass. they r not a hassel. they fix them selves. they r truely great. although i dont really see the point of them on a bmx

New Topics