Dirt & trail gear ratios

B

bronzo

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #1
Been running 16/44 with 180 cranks on my street bike, just recently been getting into dirt and trail riding. No racing, just slamming around. Is there a better gear ratio to use for this type of riding without making it unusable for street? The 16/44 is requiring a lot of leg power, especially when I start getting bogged down in soft ground.

I

infantry43RIDER

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #2
well if you are looking to run a smaller sprocket then just move down to the 39/14...or 36/13...those are both equal to your 44/16 that you have right now just with smaller cogs and sprocket...

i am currently running a 36/14...it gives a little acceleration boost sorta...it works really nice for me and i ride street and trails.

B

bronzo

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #3
Cool, thanks!

But.. (correct me if im wrong), to run 14 on the rear i'm going to need a new hub, correct?

I

infantry43RIDER

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #4
some hubs let you run a 14t freewheel...but if it doesn't then yes you have to get a new hub...unless you are running a cassette run now...

S

sr71racer

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #5
it depends on what kind of trails youre riding, if it really feels like the 44 is too hard, drop is down to like a 36 - 37/14, you could go to like a 42 or 43/16, but if you go to like a 36 ull have alot better selection of sprockets.

W

Wilhelm

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #6
Why not take the cheap route and throw an 18 on the back and keep your 44?

I

infantry43RIDER

Dirt & trail gear ratios post #7
what?...why would you do that...

New Topics