Dirt Jump building

• Discuss Dirt Jump building in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; This summer me and my friends are planning on building a couple of dirt jumps in our area. I was wondering if any1 else had tried this and how they... ...
  • Tags bike bmx dirt jump
Canadian_BMX

Canadian_BMX

Dirt Jump building post #1
This summer me and my friends are planning on building a couple of dirt jumps in our area. I was wondering if any1 else had tried this and how they went about doing so. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx :bmx_rulez:

B

Bill

Dirt Jump building post #2
Pile rocks n shit up then cover them up with mud and shape it, simple. Or if you have a digger or somethign you can make them purely out of mud.

L

leon_luxton

Dirt Jump building post #3
yeah put soming underneath it...thats what every1 around here used to do..like crates,brinks,rubbish,logs ect...it all works fine like that..just plop the mud,dirt onto the top of it all so its all covered then pat it down till its hard and straight(thats sounds rude,hehe :roll: ) the leave it to dry for like a day or so then come back and ride it :D

wtpbmx

wtpbmx

Dirt Jump building post #4
we builded trails at my friends place he lives in a big farm
look for areas in the wood or something

Clutch

Clutch

Dirt Jump building post #5
My buddy Jeff and I have some dirt jumps at my grandparents place here in Calgary, just a little ways out of the city limits... This year we are going to basically start from scratch and try some new things, bigger jumps, berms etc etc.... We have the luxury of a Tractor/Tiller/Bobcat, so it doesn't take us that long to get things done maybe 2-3 weeks tops... As for tips, if you can afford a 1 tone truck of clay, spend the money. It saves you alot of time with compacting or trying to compact dirt. Like everyone else mentioned if possible put scrap shit in where ever possible, but make sure it's dense and it's not going to colaps on you.

Or

Do it the old fashion way and grab some shovels and make a jump here and there and just have a good time building them, it can get to be hard work tho. Rome wasn't built in a day, either will your dirt jumps...

If you want more detailed info you can PM or email me, but really just building shit your own way is where the fun's at, have fun with it.

Canadian_BMX

Canadian_BMX

Dirt Jump building post #6
how much would that clay cost?

X Boarder

X Boarder

Dirt Jump building post #7
Yeah we are thinking of building them in a small wooded area. it has a slightly sloped trail taht goes downwards, and its pretty narrow but i think it'll be allright. there are a couple of problems though. the only transportation we have is bike, and we only have a couple of shovels and also thers no source of water nearby (there's a community center where we could fill up bottles around 2 minutes away). Also its a walking trail .. but there are rarely any people on it, but the problem is thers a couple of inches of woodchips on top of the dirt....

would that be a problem for building? :hmm:
--also the soil is almost always moist. <-

(i am building the jumps with Canadian_BMX and a couplle of other friends.)

F

federal_rider12

Dirt Jump building post #8
build them up, ride them, if not right go back and rebuild it till they are perfect

I

infantry43RIDER

Dirt Jump building post #9
yea that is the cool thing about dirt...you can easily adjust things if they are not the way you like them.

B

bruisedbob

Dirt Jump building post #10
Also its a walking trail .. but there are rarely any people on it
sounds like a bust to me. I'd try to put it a ways off the path, all it takes is one person to complain. And keep it quiet or mountain bikers will ride them while wet and that's not good. :evil:

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Dirt Jump building post #11
water is THE key, if you dont have water, the jumps will suck. thats why its good to make them before summer while the ground is still wet.

K

kyle

Dirt Jump building post #12
if you can dont put stuff underneath the dirt, just make it out of pure dirt and itll be alot better to build, shape and ride.

F

federal_rider12

Dirt Jump building post #13
kyle said:
if you can dont put stuff underneath the dirt, just make it out of pure dirt and itll be alot better to build, shape and ride.
yes dont put anything under the dirt. when i rebuilt some trails i come to find they built them up with branches, bricks, and rocks so i couldnt rebuild them, i had to build new ones since they werent shaped right. but now faggot dirt bikers tore then down and use the area i cleaned and redone for trails as a course and tore down all the jumps

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Dirt Jump building post #14
DIG FROM THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!

Buying dirt is lame. Its everywhere. If the dirt that youre working with is pretty shitty then go ahead and buy dirt to pack on top of the dirt from the ground. Works like a filler.

Clutch

Clutch

Dirt Jump building post #15
It costs me about $250 for a 1 tone of clay, but my buddy owns a hauling company for that kinda shit so I get it for pretty cheap.

Dirt is alright, but once you have used clay it's so much easier, you can pack the shit out of it, it's almost like cement; it's great.

"Also its a walking trail .. but there are rarely any people on it, but the problem is thers a couple of inches of woodchips on top of the dirt.... "

It's sketchy building stuff on public property, at least here they'll hook you up with a nice fine if they catch you. All the power to you tho, I hope your jumps turn out. If the muppets start after you, just have a jump somewhere to get you over a fence or something and you are in the clear; ah the good old days of my youth.

T

Trimix

Dirt Jump building post #16
infantry43RIDER said:
yea that is the cool thing about dirt...you can easily adjust things if they are not the way you like them.
Very good point. A quarter is a quarter and will always be....a quarter. A dirt lip you can get tweaked in.....GOD I miss dirt!!!

D

Deliciouspeed

Dirt Jump building post #17
I'm building some trails w/ my little cousin right now. It's fun building them to, we're gonna build a dirt bowl.

M

MuffinMan

Dirt Jump building post #18
make the base, ride over it a few times, then with like bottom of shovel, put it back and forth where your goign to hit it so it gets smooth. make sure u jump on and kick every part of it so it compacts. wait a day, let the soft dirt dry and walla

B

Blinko

Dirt Jump building post #19
its almost like building a pile of dirt, or it is building a pile of dirt. all you do is put dirt on some dirt.

S

speed_freind_nor_fo

Dirt Jump building post #20
Me and my freind are rebuilding some bike jumps in a wooded area, there is a little creek nere by. I its just off a public trail. the entrence is like a roll in. but the ground in the begining of the corse is muddy for like 2 weeks after it rains. any tips on how to eliminate the mud? should i put down a little bit of gravel? :?:

New Topics