Cutting my bars today

• Discuss Cutting my bars today in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I'm cutting my bars today because I hate the extra 2 inches on each side on my hands and I'm going to start learning bar spins. Would cutting the... ...
Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #1
I'm cutting my bars today because I hate the extra 2 inches on each side on my hands and I'm going to start learning bar spins. Would cutting the outside of the bar and my grip at the same spot be alright? or would it mess up my grips? I don't think my break lever can go down anymore and I don't want to buy custom grips.

M

Mr.Brightside

Cutting my bars today post #2
leave it on cos otherwise it'l be too short

I Ride A Bike

I Ride A Bike

Cutting my bars today post #3
You can sort of open up the brake lever with a chisel or something and push it down further...I wouldnt cut your grips. That's just me though,

Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #4
Well probably, but I like where My hands are right now on the handle bars. If they were any closer in I'd feel like they were too small. And for the most part my hands are cramped up against the inside of the grips at all times, it's just how I ride. the 2 inches on either side seems so useless and is just adding weight/space that is unneeded.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

Cutting my bars today post #5
if your leaver cant move any more you have to cut the grips. Just cut right through bars and grips and use bar ends, it will be fine

Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #6
if your leaver cant move any more you have to cut the grips. Just cut right through bars and grips and use bar ends, it will be fine
Thank you, I was thinking the bar ends would world fine

NewYorkRimRida

NewYorkRimRida

Cutting my bars today post #7
how big are your bars?

Irish

Irish

Cutting my bars today post #9
Well probably, but I like where My hands are right now on the handle bars. If they were any closer in I'd feel like they were too small. And for the most part my hands are cramped up against the inside of the grips at all times, it's just how I ride. the 2 inches on either side seems so useless and is just adding weight/space that is unneeded.
if your hands went any closer in they'd feel to small? why are you cutting your bars then? that's retarded. cutting through the grip so only half your grip is left is not the right way to cut bars. bear in mind that not many riders ride with their hands on the far end of the grips. most riders have at least a little bit of bar past their hands when riding.

EDIT: your bars look really small already.

EDIT EDIT: cutting through your grip to make your bars smaller for barspins reduces the amount of area to catch your bars. double retarded.

Last edited:
Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #10
if your hands went any closer in they'd feel to small? why are you cutting your bars then? that's retarded. cutting through the grip so only half your grip is left is not the right way to cut bars. bear in mind that not many riders ride with their hands on the far end of the grips. most riders have at least a little bit of bar past their hands when riding.

EDIT: your bars look really small already.

EDIT EDIT: cutting through your grip to make your bars smaller for barspins reduces the amount of area to catch your bars. double retarded.
Having your period today? Jesus Christ.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

Cutting my bars today post #11
You will regrete it.
The outside edge of your hands will be falling off and it feels like crap.
It will make barspins HARDER becuase you will constantly catch lever.

By your statement, "custom grips" Theres no such thing.

If you don't know what you are doing don't do it. At MOST cut 1/4" off.

EDIT- He's trying to give you some good solid advice, take it or leave it.

Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #12
You will regrete it.
The outside edge of your hands will be falling off and it feels like crap.
It will make barspins HARDER becuase you will constantly catch lever.

By your statement, "custom grips" Theres no such thing.

If you don't know what you are doing don't do it. At MOST cut 1/4" off.

EDIT- He's trying to give you some good solid advice, take it or leave it.
Alright, first of all I don't know what I'm doing and THATS why I'm asking, does that make sense? Second of all, I appreciate his advice but he doesn't have to call me retarted in every sentence as he gives it to me.

M

Marcus Poopy

Cutting my bars today post #13
i did that with my old bars...worst choice i ever made.

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

Cutting my bars today post #14
^
I've ran 21" bars, I would NEVER imagine running brakes like that.
Just don't cut them.

Marcelwk

Marcelwk

Cutting my bars today post #15
dont cut them.. you will regret it and your bars are small enough to do barspins..

Pickles

Pickles

Cutting my bars today post #16
when you learn barspins your hands dont instantly go back to where they were before. sometimes they go in more,sometimes...they go OUT more,cutting the bars could end in catastrophe (trust me)

with that said,if you want shorter bars;
-get a hinged lever,to run it on the bend in the bars you should get a Diatech Dirt Harry
-take your grips off
-cut your bars shorter
-put your grips on BEFORE the lever,set them over night. Put the lever on the next day.

there you go. shorter bars without loosing the grips length and still being able to spin them

****When you start barspins,putting your hands on the outtermost part is the best,you get the most thrust and your bars spin the best from there. catching them is the fun part.

Tdadd

Tdadd

Cutting my bars today post #17
when you learn barspins your hands dont instantly go back to where they were before. sometimes they go in more,sometimes...they go OUT more,cutting the bars could end in catastrophe (trust me)

with that said,if you want shorter bars;
-get a hinged lever,to run it on the bend in the bars you should get a Diatech Dirt Harry
-take your grips off
-cut your bars shorter
-put your grips on BEFORE the lever,set them over night. Put the lever on the next day.

there you go. shorter bars without loosing the grips length and still being able to spin them

****When you start barspins,putting your hands on the outtermost part is the best,you get the most thrust and your bars spin the best from there. catching them is the fun part.
Thank you, +rep

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Cutting my bars today post #18
Having your period today? Jesus Christ.
hey's right. but anywho, let us know how you like it 6 months down the road.

Irish

Irish

Cutting my bars today post #19
Alright, first of all I don't know what I'm doing and THATS why I'm asking, does that make sense? Second of all, I appreciate his advice but he doesn't have to call me retarted in every sentence as he gives it to me.
i never called you a retard, i said what you are doing would be retarded, because it is.

oh and thanks for the period comeback, i've had that about 5 times said to me on this forum alone.

staaaaale..

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

Cutting my bars today post #20
Thank you, I was thinking the bar ends would world fine
back to my response ^^ cut the bars and grips to your desired size and chuck on bar ends, done

New Topics