Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off?

• Discuss Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I just got a new bike and it came with demolition team grips, which i like. I have volume reagle beagle bars and i want to cut them down. How do i get... ...
  • Tags bike
P

Plan B

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #1
I just got a new bike and it came with demolition team grips, which i like. I have volume reagle beagle bars and i want to cut them down. How do i get the new grips off without ruining them? And does anybody have the volume mexican bike, which is the one i just bought, any comments on that bike/frame?

Clutch

Clutch

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #2
You know I wouldn't mind knowing if there is an easy way to get grips off as well... I usually just spray some WD40 and reef on the suckers, or I cut them and buy new grips.

B

bruisedbob

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #3
Just pull up on the end of the grip and get a little gap between bar and grip. Spray a little WD40 and twist. Takes awhile but it will slide right off.
Get lock-ons if you remove your grips a lot. I like mine (Rogues).

O

oibmxpunx

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #4
water do not use wd-40 its bad for the grips

Sjase

Sjase

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #5
oibmxpunx said:
Yeah you're right, I used it earlier this week to get my primo grips off, and it gets absorbed by the grips or whatever. Even though I used soap to degrease it the grips, they wouldn't get stuck anymore. I solved the problem with a bit of hairspray, works fine 8) . Also the material gets damaged because of the solvents in WD-40

Easiest way to get the grips off is to use water or soapwater in stead of WD-40, and to pull the grips from the top (the part that is closest to the brakelever) because that way the material of the grip will be pushed in so it comes a little bit of the bar. This way and with a little twisting of the grips they pop off in an instance (You hope).

E

EPMD

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #6
Jam a screw driver under... twist the shit out of it and put some water in it..

B

bruisedbob

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #7
Sorry, I did not know that. Only had one set before my ODIs, and those just slid off.

D

DrunkPunk180

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #8
well i have a question..........how do you new grips ON

W

William

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #9
Take your bars off and wet your grips in hot water to get them off, the grips expand and come of like magic. to do the same put the new grips in hot water and slide them on, then put them in cold water so they shrink and stay tight.

D

DrunkPunk180

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #10
what do u mean by hot water like hot water in the sink or boil some water?

S

slappyslapnuts

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #11
rofl the way u guys do that i get mine off in under a minute ON and off get something called 95-professional it doesnt kill your grips and u can spray shit loads of it and it drys within 20 minutes completely and it gets into the grips for getting em off put a SMALL screwdriver under the lip of your grip and spray it in and then slowly slide the screwdriver in applying more of it then turn the bars around and do it for the other side of the grip spray some and so on then just pull the grip and its off (this should only take like 1 minute or so maybe longer if you are not use to it)

T

The Worst

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #12
I find soapy water gets them on great or hairspray...but I just ride my grips till they fall off..

L

leon_luxton

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #13
i just use water and dont take em of just push em down more so then ya dont got the trouble of getting em back on again :D

W

William

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #14
DrunkPunk180 said:
what do u mean by hot water like hot water in the sink or boil some water?
boil water in a kettle and then poor it over the grips, or you can boil water and put your grips in, but then you have to take your bar off.

S

slappyslapnuts

Cutting bars, how do i get new grips off? post #15
STOP this water shit wtf? you wana **** ur grips up and trap water in NO use the prof 85 and a screw driver like i said i change grips for all my friends can do it in under a minute BOTH grips and it dries in 10 minutes rock solid no moving what so ever seriously.

New Topics