Cutting Axles

• Discuss Cutting Axles in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; how do you cut down your axles. is there any specific way, with any specific tools? let me know thanks ...
G

grafittijunkie

Cutting Axles post #1
how do you cut down your axles. is there any specific way, with any specific tools? let me know

thanks

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

Cutting Axles post #2
Maybe a saw ?? A knife might do the job but it will take years...

CodyPrince

CodyPrince

Cutting Axles post #4
a hacksaw and a file. or just a grinder. use whats availible

johnuk

johnuk

Cutting Axles post #5
If you want a clean finish and less effort, check out your Yellow pages for machine shops and take it down, they can lathe it down.

If you're still at school or university, you may have a metal lathe somewhere nearby you can use for free. Universities usually have a machine shop in every science department.

This is a lathe, if you're not sure what I'm talking about. The one you'll end up using won't be this impressive (which is CNC controlled), but doing one off jobs on a manual lathe is actually a lot quicker - mooooooooooo

The top hat washer for my sprocket was way too deep when I got it, it stuck out the side of the sprock and stopped it getting squeeze into contact with the axle. I spent f'ing hours with files trying to file a slightly too small washer ID for the other side of the sprocket to make it work. Eventually I took it to a local machine shop and asked him to cut some of it down on the lathe. He did it that afternoon for free, and it works better than anything I could have done at home.

G

grafittijunkie

Cutting Axles post #6
alrigh thanks

New Topics