Creaking noise.

• Discuss Creaking noise. in the Reviews, Howtos & Tech-Articles forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i just bought a bmx off a guy which has primo hollowbite cranks. when i pedal uphill it seems that it creaks whenever i put strain on the cranks etc... ...
J

jackhorizon

Creaking noise. post #1
i just bought a bmx off a guy which has primo hollowbite cranks. when i pedal uphill it seems that it creaks whenever i put strain on the cranks etc like when i pedal up hill or anything it creaks abit. ive tried oiling the freewheel etc but no luck?

D

D.Mills

Creaking noise. post #2
Th espindle needs greasing, get a thickish grease take your cranks arms off, and put some rgease on the edge where s[pindle meets bearings, you can just take spindle out too but i find this un necessary, go pedallihng about for around 10 minutes. and it will fix itself.

J

jackhorizon

Creaking noise. post #3
where would i get a thick grease in the UK? will Vaseline do?

Robert93

Robert93

Creaking noise. post #4
go to a garage or better halford will sell grease. that would do but i reacon your bottom bracket has gona on you bike.

H

Hermes

Creaking noise. post #6
vasaline is for masterbating.........

H

Hermes

Creaking noise. post #7
or staying moist......

H

Hermes

Creaking noise. post #8
but sersoly it might not be your cranks at all cheak your chain also because the seem to get really tense after a lot of riding

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

Creaking noise. post #9
Nah, it's the cranks. I have hollowbites and I have to grease them every few weeks if I don't want to hear the creaking. It's because the arms are alloy, and the spindle is chromoly or titatnium, depending on which one you have. It's basic metalurgy. Chromoly (or Ti) and alloy don't play nice together. They creak.

You could just pop off the arms and grease the spindle, but since you have the arms off, you may as well take out the spindle and grease where the spindle touches the bearing races. It should take a whole 5 minutes.

J

jackhorizon

Creaking noise. post #10
yeah has it got anything to do with the chain being too tight then?

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

Creaking noise. post #11
yeah has it got anything to do with the chain being too tight then?
Not unless your chain is as dry as the Sahara. There's no such thing as a chain being too tight as far as noise goes. It can be too tight and keep your cranks from spinning freely, like when you do a crank flip, but that's about it. If it's your chain making noise, take it off and soak it in some motor oil overnight (in a can). That'll lube that sucker right up!

T

t1jay

Creaking noise. post #12
i have hollows,they like grease.

mootiny

mootiny

Creaking noise. post #13
sometimes its the pedal boss that creaks in powerbites because its got aluminum inserts. so grease the threads in there too

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

Creaking noise. post #14
sometimes its the pedal boss that creaks in powerbites because its got aluminum inserts. so grease the threads in there too
Actually it's an aluminum crank arm with steel inserts for the pedal bosses.:wink:

mootiny

mootiny

Creaking noise. post #15
elijah

elijah

Creaking noise. post #16
my hollowbites have been creaking for about 6 months now but it hasnt "affected performance" so ive just left them alone. also tells people on the footpath to get the **** outta the way..

jr.

jr.

Creaking noise. post #17
drive sprocket could be crooked or bent/bent teeth,
bottom bracket bearings could be bad,
bottom bracket bearings could need lube,
bottom bracket could be too tight,
chain could be too tight,
peddle bearings could need lube or be bad (not likely)

my bike does that only on the left side. i still have warranty so i called and they are sending me a new bearing. I will tell you if that fixes it when I get it.

If i where you I would:

Take chain off drive sprocket, spin the peddles around and see if the drive sprocket wobbles. (On my old bike there was lock tight on my crank where the drive sprocket bolts on, that made my sprocket sit weird and wobble.)

If it doesn't, lean up against something and peddle with chain still off. If it still makes noise, its probably not chain. Unless it only does it when you peddle hard.

If it isn't the chain, open up bottom bracket assembly.

Look for wear in your bottom bracket stuff like bearings, races (if it has races), ext...

If thats not worn out. Try cleaning and greasing the bottom bracket bearings and races (if it has races). Mainly grease all stuff where metal touches and may rub.

Put the bottom bracket back together. Make sure you don't put to much pressure on the bearings or they could rub/get hot/get ruined.

I hope that helped some.

Last edited:

New Topics