Cranks/pedals

• Discuss Cranks/pedals in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey all......im new to the boards and i was just after a few things....... firstly.....how do you install 3 pce cranks? secondly....how do i no what... ...
  • Tags bike bikes cranks dirt new bikes street
C

cav89

Cranks/pedals post #1
Hey all......im new to the boards and i was just after a few things.......
firstly.....how do you install 3 pce cranks?
secondly....how do i no what size pedals to buy that will fit the 3pce im goin 2 buy?
and thirdly...whats the difference between sealed and unsealed pedals?

if anyone has any info on these three things, it'd b great if you could tell me..........thanks

E

EPMD

Cranks/pedals post #2
unsealed.. bearings wont last long, dirt n shit gets in

sealed.. keeps dirt/dust out and the bearings will last longer...

so if you do trails n shit a lot get some sealed... and if you do street or park it dont really matter

I

infantry43RIDER

Cranks/pedals post #3
firstly...
when you purchase the cranks you have to first install the cups into the frame...you will need a cup press or a hammer for this...pound those bitches in there...once that is done then you should slip on one of the cranks onto the spindle...when i did this i put my sprocket and left crank on first (LSD for me)...then slip the spindle through the cups and put on your other crank arm.

secondly...
all of the pedals that fit 3-pc cranks are 9/16"

thirdly...
EPMD said it.

C

cav89

Cranks/pedals post #4
ok then...thanx for all that........ill c how i go..........

L

LuMpY

Cranks/pedals post #5
so if you do trails n shit a lot get some sealed... and if you do street or park it dont really matter<< If you have unsealed pedals and grind concrete you make a lot of dust that goes every where. If it's not concrete there's all kinds of crap to pick up and get into your pedals. The cones in pedals, hubs, and headsets get beat to death when you guys ride with your shit loose(a tip for you from me as a mechanic). I know some of you already know this but some don't. Sealed bearings are the best IMHO. They last longer, you have a lot less to worry about as long as you have good cups and spindles, they are simpler and are easier to adjust. So if you have "loose" ball bearings and you ride on loose hubs, bb's, headsets..all that gets wasted, so keep it tight(the locknuts).

install the cups into the frame...you will need a cup press or a hammer for this...pound those bitches in there<<<Don't use a hammer! That's just silly. Go to home depot or lowes whatever and make a cup press. buy a long enough bolt, some big enough washers, and the proper size nuts. Will work for headset as well.

To install 3pc press in your cups(no bearings)
next put one bearing in, slide the spinde with the proper size sleeve on it through, then put in the other bearing. You need that sleeve in there so you don't put too much of a side load on the bearings. I think some companies may machine something like that on their spindles, I don't know.
Now you have the cups and bearings in with the spindle and sleeve inside. You'll need some spacers on the spindle too so the arms don't hit your frame. Now put the arms on. I'd start with the non-drive side then get the drive side lined up, line up the sprocket hole and get the bolt in but not tight( sprocket should be a bit loose), crank down the drive side arn then thighten the sprocket bolt. Now you're done. Make sure there is an even amount of spindle in each arm.

F

federal_rider12

Cranks/pedals post #6
infantry43RIDER said:
firstly...
when you purchase the cranks you have to first install the cups into the frame...you will need a cup press or a hammer for this...pound those bitches in there...once that is done then you should slip on one of the cranks onto the spindle...when i did this i put my sprocket and left crank on first (LSD for me)...then slip the spindle through the cups and put on your other crank arm.

secondly...
all of the pedals that fit 3-pc cranks are 9/16"

thirdly...
EPMD said it.
dont forget to put in the spacer before placin in the second cup and dont use a hammer 8O use a rubber mallet

S

sentaafEQpovar

Cranks/pedals post #7
the sealed pedals are really not worth it imo

L

LuMpY

Cranks/pedals post #8
DO NOT USE A MALLET OR HAMMER!!

Why are sealed pedals not woth it?? Do you just like to write crap and hope someone believes you?

I

infantry43RIDER

Cranks/pedals post #9
dude you can use a rubber mallet...i did and my shit works fine.
of course if you want it to be done all superduper perfect get a cup press...but don't say that using a rubber mallet is wrong because it does work.

L

LuMpY

Cranks/pedals post #10
Yup, mebbe I should just use hammers to fix the bikes at work. Hey, can I use a hammar to put new bikes together too? :roll:

I

infantry43RIDER

Cranks/pedals post #11
haha....wow...did i ever say anything about putting the entire bike together with a mallet?

F

federal_rider12

Cranks/pedals post #12
get this i use my mallet to put in my bottom bracket and headset cups and it works just fine and is in perfectly and when the bike shop asked me how i got my headset in the guy was like u used a rubber mallet ur crazy get urself a cup press and i was like i need money to get one lol but im goin to go to a hardware store and see if i can make one from the stuff they got there

New Topics