crank noise

• Discuss crank noise in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey im a new rider and i got an o8 eastern shovel head with fly cranks and stuff and today the cranks staarted to creak really loud and it sounds like... ...

47zap47

crank noise post #1
hey im a new rider and i got an o8 eastern shovel head with fly cranks and stuff and today the cranks staarted to creak really loud and it sounds like a medal on metal scrape. can sum1 tell me if its a messed bearing or what?

THANK YOU

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

crank noise post #2
hey im a new rider and i got an o8 eastern shovel head with fly cranks and stuff and today the cranks staarted to creak really loud and it sounds like a medal on metal scrape. can sum1 tell me if its a messed bearing or what?

THANK YOU
Nope. It's metalurgy. Chromo spindle on alloy cranks = creaking. It's just physics. Take off your crank arms and grease the hell out of your spindle. You can even take it one step further and take out the spindle and put grease where the spindle meets the bearings (assuming they are sealed). You'll have to do this about every month or so. I have Primo Hollowbites, and they creak constantly.

J

jawn

crank noise post #3
^ He has chromo arms as well as spindle; Fly cranks.

47zap47

crank noise post #4
o sickkk thanks mann, i took the cranks off today and the spindle wasnt that greasy i was kinda wondering if it needed to be greased

thanks a bunchhh

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

crank noise post #5
^ He has chromo arms as well as spindle; Fly cranks.
AAhhhhh good catch. Didn't even notice that. ::oops: Say, aren't they 48 spline also? Hmmm, shouldn't really creak then. :? You sure they're fly cranks?

47zap47

crank noise post #8
igght thanks, ima try that after school 2morro :)

47zap47

crank noise post #9
if any1 thinks they know plz post away

NewYorkRimRida

NewYorkRimRida

crank noise post #10
do what i do
dip everything in grease then put it back together and wipe of the excess

S

Sifting

crank noise post #11
Make sure it's all tight too, mine get really creaky when they're loose.

IrideAmacneil

IrideAmacneil

crank noise post #12
It could be that your BB spacer is rubbing on your frame BB, mine did that and it gave my cranks a nice squeak to them.

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

crank noise post #13
you might have dirty bottom bracket bearings
i wiped off all the dirt from my bearings and they didnt squeek anymore try that

johnuk

johnuk

crank noise post #14
My Eastern Ace of Spades had unacceptable amounts of crank noise the first time I rode it.

You want to make sure every mating surface around the sprocket is greased and tight - do NOT use WD-40 or any other kind of sprayable grease. You want thick stuff, preferably with Teflon, Lithium or Molybdenum disulphide (Moly grease) in it.

That means the hole in the sprocket, the sprocket bolt and washer, the spacers, the tube spacer, the bearings, the crank bolts and everything else. Go for a five minute ride first to make sure it's helped, some more grease will squeeze out with your weight on the pedals. Wipe off the excess if it's worked.

If you still get noise, it can be that the grease in the actual cartridges of your bottom bracket has been washed out (perhaps by WD-40 overspray) or gotten contaminated with dirt of somekind.

The cartridges are the cylinderical stainless steel things the spindle spins on. If none of the other stuff works, and you feel able to take them out of your bike, you can clip the blue/red seal off them, clean and repack them with grease - super smooth.

This is what the cartridges look like. The left one is with the seal in place, the right is with it clipped off (ball bearings in cage underneath);

Last edited:
G

grafittijunkie

crank noise post #15
tighten the crap out of them

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

crank noise post #16
Grease all contact areas like you would a cheap friday night whore! Might as well do the pedal axles at the same time.

wethepeople1

wethepeople1

crank noise post #17
i think some wd40 will sort it out worked on mine or 3 in 1 worksalso

47zap47

crank noise post #18
siccck ima try this stuff tonight, thanks guys

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

crank noise post #19
siccck ima try this stuff tonight, thanks guys
Come on guys, you know better. NEVER USE WD-40 ON YOUR BIKE. It is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer (hence the name WD-40). It keeps parts from rusting and corroding, that's all. It will kill your bearings if you use it as a lube. It is not a lube. Do not use it as a lube.

NewYorkRimRida

NewYorkRimRida

crank noise post #20
i think some wd40 will sort it out worked on mine or 3 in 1 worksalso
that is horrible advice. it will stop creaking when you put it on but once it removes all the grease it will be even worse

New Topics