Court

• Discuss Court in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; So today i was watching this fight after school. But before it went down and there were like 1million people outside just talking shit, while i was... ...
C

crackkillz

Court post #1
So today i was watching this fight after school. But before it went down and there were like 1million people outside just talking shit, while i was riding my bike. So about maybe 1 and half hours go by and theres still people just talking shit cause no one was down to fight.

then at the bus stop one fight went down.
after that i was SITTING on my bike talking to my friends. then all of a sudden a cop comes outta nowhere.
he gives me a ticket for riding with out brakes, having no helmet and riding on the sidewalk.
when i told them i was just sitting down not even moving they said they saw me earlier(bout1half hours ago) doing tricks.

i dont think they have the power to write me a ticket of an incident that occurred almost 2hrs ago. remember when they busted me i was honestly just sitting on my bike not even moving.

so after they give me that ticket, 2 kids come up with brakeless bikes with no helmet either. the cops talk to them and just wave them by. im like what the ****, why didnt u give them tickets. thye say cause theres only certain people who need tickets ????

so you think i can argue that in court?
ill say how when i actually got busted i was just sitting on my bike. and bring up the 2 kids that the cops just waved by. cause i cant pay for this shit...

so little advice would help. thanks.

S

stolenwrap69

Court post #2
hmmm i bet that would be a good debate in court .good luck.

Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

Court post #3
go for it man! goodluck

C

crackkillz

Court post #4
thanks guys. :)

L

leggomyeggow

Court post #5
out of curiosity, how much was the ticket?

C

crackkillz

Court post #6
hmmm not sure yet. didnt say on it and cops didnt tell me..
im guessing bout 150 thats what everyone saying. not alot but come on now, that could be new tires, bars and grips

T

Trendy

Court post #7
they shuld be fighting real crime

S

STLNRider13

Court post #8
So today i was watching this fight after school. But before it went down and there were like 1million people outside just talking shit, while i was riding my bike. So about maybe 1 and half hours go by and theres still people just talking shit cause no one was down to fight.

then at the bus stop one fight went down.
after that i was SITTING on my bike talking to my friends. then all of a sudden a cop comes outta nowhere.
he gives me a ticket for riding with out brakes, having no helmet and riding on the sidewalk.
when i told them i was just sitting down not even moving they said they saw me earlier(bout1half hours ago) doing tricks.

i dont think they have the power to write me a ticket of an incident that occurred almost 2hrs ago. remember when they busted me i was honestly just sitting on my bike not even moving.

so after they give me that ticket, 2 kids come up with brakeless bikes with no helmet either. the cops talk to them and just wave them by. im like what the ****, why didnt u give them tickets. thye say cause theres only certain people who need tickets ????

so you think i can argue that in court?
ill say how when i actually got busted i was just sitting on my bike. and bring up the 2 kids that the cops just waved by. cause i cant pay for this shit...

so little advice would help. thanks.
That could be discrimination of some sort if you argue it right, the way you make it sound the cops said it, and the two other brakeless riders that went by not getting anything could make a good argument, just dress nice, stay calm and dont get pissed off.

G

givertits

Court post #9
always fight tickets even if u dont think that u will win cuase all it takes is the cop not showin up or even the date being wrong and the ticket will get dropped i say fight u got nothin to loose

Dilmah Green Tea

Dilmah Green Tea

Court post #10
What a cunt, take him to court. Fukin homophobe.

kharnG

kharnG

Court post #11
that sucks that that happened

but a whoah that u get tickets 4 bein bakeless

in my town its only no helmet/sidewalk

an i think u shouldnt even get a bloody ticket 4 no helmets its our choice not to were them(even tho i do wear one haha, but my m8s always get yelled at)

have some +rep 4 ya trouble

lordofthebored

lordofthebored

Court post #12
argue mate
theyll drop it cause itll take too much time to sort and as someone said erlier even if the cop shows up (unlikely)
claim racism,sexism,homaphobia <--pick one and cop will get ****ed =]
heel drop it i reckon =]
go for it !! =]=]=]=]=]

Q

Quen

Court post #13
they can write a ticket two hours later. that would be like saying that if the police don't catch a person when they kill someone that they can get away with murder. but they were stupid. how old are you? is it illegal to ride without brakes? just fight it on court. say you had a coaster brake and you just had your helmet off right then because you were relaxing.

2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

Court post #14
1 prob with arguing it

1. have you got secure evidence of this?
2.if you havent your ****ed, cops nearly always win cos they come up with some b/s excuse like,he was a danger to society i though he was shootin a gun,but it was that,/*points to your hub\*

but seriously its happened to me,i had to pay it,i got it for jumpion off a foot high wall with no helmet

F

fortytwobikes

Court post #15
You guys have some seriously stupid cops and laws in the US, I feel sorry for you, how can he (the cop) possibly think it's even worth the time to write a ticket for that kind of thing... I would be so pissed! Good luck!

EDIT: can you claim in court that you did in fact not ride your bike earlier and that maybe the cop saw someone else?

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

Court post #16
i dont beleive its right to lie in court^

but its ok to stretch the truth as long as you dont go too far overboard
like in your situation you could say you werent riding before (lie)
or you could say you were pushing it along still sitting on the bike (stretching a bit far but you know)

this is also a way to tell if ether you have a good town or shit police or sometimes both
i have a nether

F

fortytwobikes

Court post #17
i dont beleive its right to lie in court^

but its ok to stretch the truth as long as you dont go too far overboard
like in your situation you could say you werent riding before (lie)
or you could say you were pushing it along still sitting on the bike (stretching a bit far but you know)

this is also a way to tell if ether you have a good town or shit police or sometimes both
i have a nether
True true, although he doesn't have to lie and say he didn't ride just ask if they could have possibly misstaken him for someone else!?

Cru

Cru

Court post #18
you guys in us oz etc have got the best places to ride-but also the worst ****ing cops and laws etc.here in the uk we dont even get tickets for that kinda stuff.9x outta 10 you just get told to move on.
if you got witnesses that will testify you werent riding at the time then you cant be charged for no brakes/helmet/riding,cos you werent.but you will be asked for witnesses.other than that pay the ticket and next time you see the cops jus ride like **** and dont get caught,where i live its so easy to get away from cars on a bike they dont even try to catch you.

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

Court post #19
i see what you meen Fortytwo good point i agree you should try that

Cru i have like nothing to ride here like i have a 6 stair and a 7 stair
nothing else really

johnuk

johnuk

Court post #20
In the UK, they can charge you for something they've seen you doing hours ago, or whenever. You could ask why they didn't stop you straight away, but they don't have to by law, and the answer might be nasty - like they were watching or filming you as evidence. The police will watch people committing crime for months or years to make sure they have enough evidence to absolutely nail them all when they raid a drug ring - time isn't an issue.

But they need to have something like some video tape to proove they saw you doing it for sure.

Your best bet is saying lots of people cycle around there after school, it's clear enough that no one's going to get hurt and that you weren't cycling round for long or quickly - and that most of the time you'd been sitting there doing nothing, just talking.

If they say they saw you riding, or have film of it, you can't really argue you weren't and expect to win. But you can say that a ticket is an unfair fine for what you were actually doing. If there were other people there on normal bikes doing similar stuff, you could also say you think they're just picking on you because of the image of people with BMXs.

I've had the police stop me before while I've watched people who can't ride at all cycling past on the pavement as he's talking to me. He obviously stopped me specifically because he doesn't like the idea of BMX riders. He, and the criminal justice system, would say it just happened to be me... I say **** that. If the police are out and see someone dealing, they don't take him off to the side and just arrest him if his mates are involved as well, or they see someone else doing it as they're arresting the first guy, they arrest everyone they can or call for more help. They chose me and ignored other people infront of them. If you think they did the same to you, say that in court. If your weren't screaming and shouting at him, fighting or trying to run off, there's no legal excuse for him not dealing with the other people riding on the pavement - especially if he says he saw you coming out of the school, since he can be reasonably sure of finding you again even if you do run off.

If you have health insurance, there's no logical reason for you to have to pay someone else for taking a risk like not wearing a helmet, you've already paid - just someone else. You not wearing a helmet won't damage or cost someone else. There's a stronger argument for it in the UK, were other people can end up paying for your healthcare through the tax system when you hurt yourself - but it's not the law here.

If you ride in skateparks a lot, out of the public domain, you also don't need brakes, since no one else will have a car accident as a result of you not being able to brake on a road.

That's an honest excuse and it could be enough to avoid the fine.

Last edited:

New Topics