Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes

• Discuss Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; I'm trying to fix a friends computer and have so far gotten the majority of it working fine.. but randomly the task bar vanishes and I notice in the... ...
codeblack

codeblack

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #1
I'm trying to fix a friends computer and have so far gotten the majority of it working fine.. but randomly the task bar vanishes and I notice in the task manager that explorer.exe goes away - a quick run to open it back up again brings it back but this is a computer for a family of people who barely know how to turn it on.. so I'd rather not leave it like this..

It's been a long time since I've gone virus hunting and I'm afraid I don't really know what to look for anymore - I'm downloading Avast and am about to run it right now - and I did an Ad Aware scan last night (690 infections found :roll:) That may be a sign of a problem..

I'll try to be detailed in what I've done so far so nobody has to ask..

I removed Symantec - everything - Trend Micro was on there, so far only 7 files remain (.dll's) that refuse to delete (access denied?) but I'll try that again in safe mode.. They also had AVG and an Ad Aware that didn't work. I also installed Firefox so it's a little more secure for 'em - and cleaned out some trash here and there..

If it helps..

Win XP Media Center Edition SP2
AMD 64+ 3500 2.2ghz
1gb ram
it's an eMachine (I know, I was just going to advise throwing it away...)
And it's rockin' a 200gb hdd..

There isn't anything in the device manager that shows a problem - and up till last night it was working fine.. the problem they had was it would boot till you could see the background - and you wouldn't get any buttons or task bar or desktop.. Again - ctrl/alt/del run explorer.exe brings everything back - and when it vanishes the background blinks after a few seconds and an active desktop button comes out to play..

So cliff notes.

: Explorer.exe peaces out.
: run brings it back
: active desktop warning/error comes with it
: restores fine, then peaces out after a few minutes.
: 690 "infections" removed with Ad Aware
: still happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Samirol

Samirol

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #2
Try AVG free edition as well, if that doesn't work, I would just reformat it.

codeblack

codeblack

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #3
Avast! has found an issue with c:\WINDOWS\system32\fontsub32.dll but wont delete it or do anything.. i'll try a safe mode boot and antivirus scan to see if that helps as well... but so far it's looking better - just gotta get rid of this fontsub thing..

And the files from trendmicro deleted as well.

Paul1311

Paul1311

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #4
google the filenames of the possible infections and maybe people will have answers who have sufferd from this

(Y)

CrazeD

CrazeD

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #5
codeblack

codeblack

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #6
It actually went away not too shabby.. I did an avast scan and found 32 viruses ontop of the 690 infections that ad aware found .. it works fine now everything seems good..

Paul1311

Paul1311

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #7
glad to hear
rep

edit : tellin me to spread it =/

coby

coby

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #8
Yeah, Nortons a bitch.

fit bike co

fit bike co

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #9
make a batch file opening explorer.exe set to run every 5 mins?
apart from that, im afraid you will have to reformat the hard disk and re-install XP

when you switch pc on...explorer is not on..if you can run it again using task manager..and it stays there. you wont have to reinstall, but otherwise you will. its the only alternative i can come up with insted of paying £100 for some pc technition to do it for ya.

i suggest making a partition with all the music and games..or w.e they got on there they wanna keep

ill go and ask around for ya for some help.

CrazeD

CrazeD

Computer issue : explorer.exe vanishes post #10
make a batch file opening explorer.exe set to run every 5 mins?
apart from that, im afraid you will have to reformat the hard disk and re-install XP

when you switch pc on...explorer is not on..if you can run it again using task manager..and it stays there. you wont have to reinstall, but otherwise you will. its the only alternative i can come up with insted of paying £100 for some pc technition to do it for ya.

i suggest making a partition with all the music and games..or w.e they got on there they wanna keep

ill go and ask around for ya for some help.
It actually went away not too shabby.. I did an avast scan and found 32 viruses ontop of the 690 infections that ad aware found .. it works fine now everything seems good..
He fixed it.

New Topics