compression bolt

• Discuss compression bolt in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; how much do u need the compresision bolt from stem to forks? can u ride without it SAFELY? anyhelp much appreciated ...
donno91

donno91

compression bolt post #1
how much do u need the compresision bolt from stem to forks?
can u ride without it SAFELY?

anyhelp much appreciated

F

Fruttekut

compression bolt post #2
i wouldn't trust to imbusbolts from you stem to hold up the whole front...
why would you ride without anyway?

guitar4lif3

guitar4lif3

compression bolt post #3
maybe he doesnt have one? i wouldnt ride without one

donno91

donno91

compression bolt post #4
the bolt head is stripped and cant be tightned or removed

any ideas

T

Trimix

compression bolt post #5
Well, it depends on the headset brand/type you have, but you can probably fix that pretty easily, that is if you're inclined to :) You have to find out how the compression bolt threads in. If it's just into a star nut, you could pull the entire bolt and nut (taking everything apart mind you) and stick a new star nut and bolt in. Done.

Also depending on the bike it's on, would determine whether to fix it or ride it. If it's just an old beater, then who cares? If it's a nice frame/bike, then I'd take care of her :) It's not the best idea to ride without that fixed though, it can ruin your bearings, or worse your face maybe.

S

screwglue

compression bolt post #6
oh, ur gonna hafta put it on during isntalation. just get a knew one which fork u got? i bet u can hunt one down. I tighten my headset then tighten the stem then take it out and ride w/o it but latley when i take my ocmpresion bolt out the headset tends to get too tight?

donno91

donno91

compression bolt post #7
to trimix:

there is no starnut (is that the pointy thing with the hole in inside the forks)
the bike db ignitor is uter crap but the forks shake a good inch or so in eithe direction

to jx062894:

crappy stock forks
but with no starnut it cant be tightened

anyway the situation atm is the bike is fcuked the wobble is verry bad theres no str nut or compression bolt on it the stem has ended up with 1 bolt due to 1 stripping and drilling required so it looks like its gonna b a long wait 4 a new bike until then guess he'll just ride his mtb

o well thanks for all the help mite be posing a few bikechecks soon so make sure u comment them mie do 1 4 the pos bike this thread was aboout

T

Timthekid

compression bolt post #8
u dont need one, i usd to ride without one casue i didnt have it and it worked fine just a pain to adjust, and right now my broteher doesnt have one either but it works fine still.

New Topics