cleaning after dirt riding?

• Discuss cleaning after dirt riding? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I've been riding trails for the last 3 weekends and my bike's pretty dirty. Should I be cleaning it after every ride? How exactly should I clean it... ...
  • Tags bike cranks dirt parts
T

tgreathead

cleaning after dirt riding? post #1
I've been riding trails for the last 3 weekends and my bike's pretty dirty. Should I be cleaning it after every ride? How exactly should I clean it? The whole bike's pretty dusty, especially the chain & the cranks.

Thanks

P

Pyro insaine

cleaning after dirt riding? post #2
clean and regreace all baearings nd clean one everything looks pretty dirty

T

tgreathead

cleaning after dirt riding? post #3
I've never really cleaned a bike before, so forgive me.

I've heard that I should spray WD-40 in all the places to get them clean, then use something like White Lightening to grease them up again. Does this sound right?

Am I missing anything to clean:

chainwheel
cranks
bottom bracket
freewheel
pedals

C

cav89

cleaning after dirt riding? post #4
Firstly, unless your a povo and r too cheap to get decent parts, you should have sealed bearing parts, so you wouldnt need to clean the bottom braket..........

Clean the external surface of the:
Pedals
Frame
Crank arms
Rims
Hubs
Sprocket
Freewheel
Fork
Handlebars
Stem
Brakes.........

just use something ordinary like a simple kitchen cleaner like simple green to clean your parts, wipe on and off with a paper towel.....

Grase the parts that need it, ie, sprocket freewheel etc, afterwards......

T

tgreathead

cleaning after dirt riding? post #5
I've got a DK Four Pack so most parts are sealed.

I figured I'd use something like Simple Green, just wanted to make sure with the experts :respekt:

Thanks

RuLe

RuLe

cleaning after dirt riding? post #6
i wear gloves and when i ride and sit their because im tired. i always clean off my forks because those get dirty fast and everytime i rest sitting on myb ike i kind of clean any spots i see dirty with my gloves. if u do that you never have to take the time like 10 or 15mins just to clean it. do it went you are riding :)

S

Super S***

cleaning after dirt riding? post #7
my bike is like a magnet for dust and dirt. every time i go riding it gets clogged up with dirt and it takes ages to get off. i just put oil in anything unsealed

ie my BB, all my other part are sealed exept for my pedals but im getting some new ones so so i dont give a sh* about them.

i just use castrol grese to grease my chain and then just that normal oil stuff for my bb, makes it run like a dream.

do you have a hole in the tom of your BB shell actuly down insite your seatpost?. my friend does, he has a fit S1 frame but i havnt checked my frame to see if it has one.

X

XIII

cleaning after dirt riding? post #8
headset

You probably have an unsealed headset so you will want to pull that apart and wipe it off and re-grease it after quite a few rides on dirt. try not to lose those balls, because I was cleaning and re-greasing my piece-o-shit Haro unsealed hub and I lots 4 of he balls. there are only 2 unsealed bearings in mu hub!... but I am getting an Odyssey hazard (sealed 4 bearings

W

William

cleaning after dirt riding? post #9
i find just wiping down your bike after every ride is good, i don't think you realy need to re-grease your bearings or hedset after every ride, once a week should be fine.

F

federal_rider12

cleaning after dirt riding? post #10
no not after every ride, do it like once a month or a bit more, or if it feels like bearings arent moving freely or you hear a crunching noise(could also be somethings wrong)

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

cleaning after dirt riding? post #11
tgreathead said:

I've heard that I should spray WD-40 in all the places to get them clean, then use something like White Lightening to grease them up again. Does this sound right?
NO!!!!!!!!

Don't use WD-40. Not a good lube. If you spray that on your grips to get them on and a hours couple later it dries and keeps you away from throttle grip. Do you want that happening to your bearings?

Buy a big tube of grease or use tri flow.

T

tgreathead

cleaning after dirt riding? post #12
Thanks for all the help :D

E

Egon

cleaning after dirt riding? post #13
tgreathead said:

Am I missing anything to clean:

chainwheel
cranks
bottom bracket
freewheel
pedals
wd40 is made to 'degrease', so after you cleaned your bike with water and soap, you should spray wd40 on your chain, sprocket, and rearsprocket (or what is it called). when I rode moutainbike competition I used to spray it also on my frame, gives it a nice 'shiny' look and mud won't stick on your frame. Then you got to give it some time to work, and after a little time you can clean your parts with your old underwear :wink: and last but not least, grease everything up; white lightening is a good product, but there are others

D

Deliciouspeed

cleaning after dirt riding? post #14
Clean bike with your gloves, yuk. Unsanitary :lol:

X

XIII

cleaning after dirt riding? post #15
u can use WD-40 to keep stuff from getting rusty and it makes stuff shiny and kinda makes it water resistant. but use the really thick shit with your fingers to GREASE up like bearing.

New Topics