chrome vs. normal anodized rims?

• Discuss chrome vs. normal anodized rims? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I would like to make a red bmx for myself. I would like to use red anodized rims, some friends told me to use a chrome rear rim for the brake. I will... ...
props4bmx

props4bmx

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #1
I would like to make a red bmx for myself. I would like to use red anodized rims, some friends told me to use a chrome rear rim for the brake. I will be using some salmon eagle claw koolstops with odyssey evolver 2.would chrome help me that much?

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #2
you can usually get better braking from a chrome-plated rim because it's a harder, denser surface.

bike ryder

bike ryder

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #3
you can usually get better braking from a chrome-plated rim because it's a harder, denser surface.
yea.. but you can still get braking on red rims. just better on chrome

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #4
also, brakes will wear the anodizing off over time and it will look crappy. chrome, if it's good chrome, will last a LOT longer and work better in the meantime.

J

jlau

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #5
My chrome rims squeak like a mofo. Good braking but noisy.

andhey

andhey

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #6
^^ that usually means you havent set it up right, my chrome rarely squeals and my brakes work very well, very well

Superbeast

Superbeast

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #7
You can have them set up to make noise, i personally like em like that and they stop on a dime.
But yeah chrome is the best for brakes but anodized is fairly good it just wears off but unlike painted rims, the shit doesn't get on your pads

johnuk

johnuk

chrome vs. normal anodized rims? post #8
Chrome can get nasty quickly if there's water around.

My housemate had some dark chrome rims and within maybe a weeks worth of total riding, maybe less, the chrome was flaking off around the spoke holes - badly! He wouldn't go out if had rained recently and would baby his bike, so it was amazing they got so messed up so quickly.

Every now and again when I'm cleaning mine I'll spray a small amount of Teflon oil into spoke holes so water can't get under the chrome layer.

If you get chrome and ride when it's wet, grease up the spoke holes and try not to leave the rims wet.

Last edited:

New Topics