Chrome rims --> rust

• Discuss Chrome rims --> rust in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; what do u guys use to keep your chrome rim from not rusting the fastest. i had mine for 3 - 4months and its rusting already. how do u stop that from... ...
  • Tags bike gt
RuLe

RuLe

Chrome rims --> rust post #1
what do u guys use to keep your chrome rim from not rusting the fastest. i had mine for 3 - 4months and its rusting already. how do u stop that from happening like what products could you use to make it last longer

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Chrome rims --> rust post #2
just dont let it get wet, i keep my ride im my bedroom. sometimes i think i love my bike a little too much.

C

cav89

Chrome rims --> rust post #3
Rust?? on your rim???

really?

ive had the same chrome rims for TWO YEARS........the samewith all my bike, and there isnt ANY rust on it at all..........

but, if there is some rust, just use something like "rustbuster"(not sure if its the same in the US) or something similar......

cav

Clutch

Clutch

Chrome rims --> rust post #4
My rims have never rusted, I usually pick up a new set every 8-12 months(riding time), so maybe a new set every 2nd year.

Maybe your pads have metal or something in them scratching up the rim causing it to rust faster?

RuLe

RuLe

Chrome rims --> rust post #5
so wiping it with a towel real hard to clean it. would rubbing the rim hella hard with a towel make the chrome come off a bit and rust faster over time? and how do u guys clean your rims then so they dotn rust

i no u cant get water on them or they rust

C

cav89

Chrome rims --> rust post #6
no, rubbin em hard with a towel shouldnt do anything other than cleam them..........

just use simple green or an equivalent to clean them, turps works great i find, and dry them off..........check your pads for metal or foreign objects that may be damaging the rims, etc

water should be alrte, if you dry it quickly...

the only really bad thing for any metal is the salt, ie, in the air, or water etc.......

Cav

X

XIII

Chrome rims --> rust post #7
put WD-40 on it... than after like a minuit, wipe it off really good... leave a very little bit on... yor brakes will not work as well but just go really fast and then pull them like half way and they will get teh grip back

F

federal_rider12

Chrome rims --> rust post #8
Mr_Shrapnel said:
just dont let it get wet, i keep my ride im my bedroom. sometimes i think i love my bike a little too much.
same here, there is like nothing you can use and keep the brakes working. just dont get it wet. i got rust on mine and its been riden for a month, but its because its banged against rails when grinding.

but try neverdull(comes in like a little chrome tin) and if its surface rust it should come off but i dont think it prevents rust. its sorta like a wax for chrome and mag type of stuff but its not as strong as wax but cleans like no other!

D

Deliciouspeed

Chrome rims --> rust post #9
I've noticed that sometimes shit gets stuck on your brakes, and that scratches up the rim then you get rust. Got to make sure to clean those pads and when you hear some scraping, lay off the brakes until you clean em up.

Z

zedbot

Chrome rims --> rust post #10
it might not be rust u are seeing if it is on the brake rim it might be where the chrome has worn off and is left exposing the copper stuff which is under the chrome

and usualy whene chrome does rust it makes the chrome flake off

New Topics