ChainWheel Help?

• Discuss ChainWheel Help? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey everyone Alright, I got a new spindle because my cranks were moving up and down and the dude at the shop said my spindle was broken, and then I... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes cranks
X Boarder

X Boarder

ChainWheel Help? post #1
Hey everyone

Alright, I got a new spindle because my cranks were moving up and down and the dude at the shop said my spindle was broken, and then I found out that my chainwheel was moving back and forth too.

I later found out it was because the screw on the inner part of the chainwheel was loose. No problem, so I tightened it. 10 or less minutes later of riding, loose as ever, could loosen with my hand. I tighten it again, this time harder, 5 minutes later, it moves.. and now every time I tighten it, it loosesn and the chainwheel starts movins back and forth after 5 minutes. Anyway I bought some tools and took off my cranks and chainwheel, and put a NUT (i think thats what its called) with grooves and stuff under the screw, then put everything back together and tightened. Now, I havent tested it yet, but what do you guys think, you think putting a nut will stop the screw from loosening?? Or do I need to get a whole new chainwheel?? (maybe put loctite on it or someting)

Also, my chain wheel is noticably bent.. like you can see it's bent when you spin the cranks backwards, tahts how bent it is, I cant really explain specifically. Would this be why the screw is loosening? Or is a moderately bent chainwheel common in BMX bikes, and doesn't affect the looesning of the screw?

**Sorry for the long post, but Ive been having crank and chainwheel problems for TOO LONG.. its realy gettin annoyin.

L8r + Thanx

D

Devourment 138

ChainWheel Help? post #2
buy a new sprocket...then use Loctite on the threads of the bolt that is giving you the trouble...

RuLe

RuLe

ChainWheel Help? post #3
i didnt read ti all but skimed it and i say get a chain tensior

and the crank arm part mit be striped out, it wouldnt be the sproket. the bolt in the back goes from the back on of the sproket (but does not screw in the sproket) and it screws into the crank arm and it mit be striped and it comes out real easy

T

Trimix

ChainWheel Help? post #4
Actually I pretty valid question. I had this one on my old Haro......loctite works, so does a lock washer on the backside......but you get into spacing issues with that washer.

F

federal_rider12

ChainWheel Help? post #6
Anyway I bought some tools and took off my cranks and chainwheel, and put a NUT (i think thats what its called) with grooves and stuff under the screw
please explain that. but my chainwheel bolt comes loose just because im hard on my chainwheel and well locktite(or whatever its called) will hold it in place, its that blue stuff that you put on the threads and it dries and makes it hold in place and most bolts on bikes have it on them. but if its bent that might casue it to come a bit loose but just pedaling or throwing your bike around can cause it to come loose. so just use that blue stuff

X Boarder

X Boarder

ChainWheel Help? post #7
Yeah thanks.

I didn't use loctite but I put a nut in there and went riding today and it didnt come loose at all :D So im hopin it will last a while, if it doesnt then im just gona put some loctite on there. Thx

F

federal_rider12

ChainWheel Help? post #8
a nut? do you mean a bolt or screw?

E

EPMD

ChainWheel Help? post #9
X you live in toronto.. where are you riding down there? i live like 40 mins from toronto and everything is still all covered :cry:

New Topics