chain problems..

• Discuss chain problems.. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; when I pedal halfway through a full rotation everything is normal and smooth..but when the crank arms are straight up and down the chain gets way... ...
E

eatCATS

chain problems.. post #1
when I pedal halfway through a full rotation everything is normal and smooth..but when the crank arms are straight up and down the chain gets way tighter and the chain tries to pop. My chain isn't tight at all normally, only when it hits that one point. I think it may be because my sprocket and driver arn't lined up right?

I just started riding over a year ago so any advice is helpful, thanks! ::oops:

bike ryder

bike ryder

chain problems.. post #2
maybe you bent your sprocket, or there is a tight spot on the chain

SnK

SnK

chain problems.. post #3
Well check if the sprocket isn't bent/teeth bent at that point..
Also where it kinks make sure there isn't a stiff link.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

chain problems.. post #4
what cranks and sprocket do you have? do you have a tophat washer in the sprocket to keep it centered?

E

eatCATS

chain problems.. post #5
what cranks and sprocket do you have? do you have a tophat washer in the sprocket to keep it centered?
Right now I still have the stock Eastern Raptor 3pc crank set and the stock sprocket, Im poor =P. And yea the tophat washer is in the sprocket.

41Connor

41Connor

chain problems.. post #6
Probably a bent sprocket or a tight link in the chain like the above people said.

E

eatCATS

chain problems.. post #7
Probably a bent sprocket or a tight link in the chain like the above people said.
The chain is perfectly fine I checked it over and over. Happened with my old chain as well, until it snapped of course =P

johnuk

johnuk

chain problems.. post #8
You should check that the top hat washer and sprocket are a tight fit over the spindle as they slide on. If they're not, they can be eccentric, making a kind of egg shape as they rotate rather than a perfect circle around the spindle. If you have the chain tight, you'd notice a change in tension as the bump in the sprocket rotation went through the area of rotation were it engages with the chain.

Other than that, repacking the bearings with grease may help. But the symptom of that being a problem is usually a ticking, poppintg, clicking noise and feeling through the pedals with each rotation

Last edited:
E

eatCATS

chain problems.. post #9
You should check that the top hat washer and sprocket are a tight fit over the spindle as they slide on. If they're not, they can be eccentric, making a kind of egg shape as they rotate rather than a perfect circle around the spindle. If you have the chain tight, you'd notice a change in tension as the bump in the sprocket rotation went through the area of rotation were it engages with the change.

Other than that, repacking the bearings with grease may help. But the symptom of that being a problem is usually a ticking, poppintg, clicking noise and feeling through the pedals with each rotation
That seems like what it is doing. I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the input. :wink:

New Topics